Need Help picking out a color for the living room walls!!
alisa4ever
I recently remodeled my house and put up a stone wall. I am looking for a paint color and don't want to use the same beigy color because it all seems to blend in. I am including three pictures of the walls and one of the floors. Please help with advise. Thanks!
Anne
Do you have furniture for this room?
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 11:31AM
alisa4ever
Not yet. We are moving in a few weeks and need to get new furniture.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 11:47AM
Anne
Looks like you are planning modern/contemporary? The houzz community will be better able to help you if you can identify the type of style you prefer. Here are several rooms with stone on the walls, and I tried to avoid beige! Are you open to blues, greens, yellows, grays? You have a beautful room! How are the stairs going to be finished (railing)?
Ownby Design
Rectangle
McGonigal Signature Homes
Eclectic Living Room
    Bookmark   Thanked by alisa4ever    July 24, 2013 at 1:53PM
LB Interiors
Love the walls and the flooring! Beautiful! Choose a goal that will direct you to monochromatic (that you're not wanting) or combo of monochromatic with accents of either soft, midtone, or bolder color. I think you need to decide the overall 'feeling' that you want for the room. Once that is decided, the choices are made accordingly to achieve that design look. Casual, casual sophistication, fun and interesting, classic, or any other of your emotional thoughts for the room. The final room is accomplished by all the elements that make up the design plan for the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by alisa4ever    July 24, 2013 at 2:01PM
LB Interiors
I usually recommend finding the furniture style and color and fabrics first. Those are the most difficult decisions to make. The wall color will be determined by those choices and paint color is a much easier decision to make. If you paint first, you are locked into that color in some form of connecting it to everything else in the room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:07PM
alisa4ever
Yes, we are planning modern/contemporary. I might just have to go in the beige family because I don't see anything else working there :(. i would probably need a taupe color beige. More colder then warmer.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:17PM
alisa4ever
For railings I am planning on doing iron and on top wooden banister. I am up for ideas on that as well please!
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:18PM
alisa4ever
and while we are at it I need curtain ideas lol
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:20PM
alisa4ever
LB- I am planning on having a full length sectional probably dark brown leather against the windows. See picture attached from a different angle of the room. To the left of it will be a fireplace. Sorry its sideways.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:27PM
carolins
Why not white? That will look fresh and modern against the stone and the floor.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:28PM
carolins
Crossed comments, I meant white for the walls, not for the sectional ;-)
    Bookmark   Thanked by alisa4ever    July 24, 2013 at 2:29PM
alisa4ever
similiar to this....
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:32PM
alisa4ever
carolins- i was thinking white as well.....But then would the dark furniture work? And what about curtains and rug? what color do I go with those?!! ugh decisions, decisions :)
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:33PM
14thstreet
BM revere pewter has some taupey undertones and would work nice with what you're doing.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:34PM
carolins
Roman shades? Or top down/bottom up blinds.
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:36PM
alisa4ever
I didnt want blinds.....wanted flowy curtains :)
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:37PM
carolins
Some examples of dark leather sofas and white walls. You could pick a slightly warmer white. And I was thinking a cream coloured rug.
Privathaus 5
an urban penthouse
houzz_cedarhurst_livingroom.jpg
living room 1
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by alisa4ever    July 24, 2013 at 2:40PM
carolins
Ah... well... see Privathaus 5 ;-)
    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:42PM
LB Interiors
If you go with white, it is less soothing and soft and a higher contrast to your existing choices. Will that work for you? It will be a decision on how you want to feel when you walk into the room. White would make more of a statement which is a great choice, if that's what your direction is.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:44PM
LB Interiors
Love the photos 'carolins' . Good options.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:45PM
Susan Horvath
Hi Alisa. The room has a ton of potential!! What colours do you like? Does this room have a lot of natural lighting? I have attached a picture of some ideas. Creams for sofas in a soft linen would be gorgeous. But you have to love it. Dark wood floors and a pewter grey from Benjamin Moore would also be gorgeous. BM. A la mode and soft vintage taupe. Old Soul CSP-65 is a gorgeous soft taupe by BM. Bare Essence CSP-275 is also lovely and would be colours to consider. Your trim could be in a BM White Cloud. Crown moulding or a tray ceiling would look amazing and ground the space. Do you like modern, transitional, traditional...please let me know,so,that I can help you.
I would put a fire place on the wall you choose and add a gorgeous off white stone that looks like brick on this entire wall. I will send you a picture of the stone. Have 2 small quartz pot lights on the ceiling above the fireplace. This will cast light in it at night and look stunning!!

If it was me I would start with your furniture. Good Luck with your project. Let us know what you decide. Check out these furniture stores, ELTE, UNION! Restoration Hardware. For lights and other beautiful products, HomeSense has gorgeous toss pillows, lighting, throws, and you cannot beat the prices. If you love a couch but cannot afford it, go to a furniture consignment store or go to a second hand furniture shop, purchase your sofa for no more than 75.00 and take it to Fine Design Upholstery in Toronto. Ask for Mark. He can make you anything at all. just bring in a picture of what you love and he will transform your sad couch into something epic. Fine Design Upholstery is located where Sescolite and Union are. He is very reasonable. Should not cost you more than 1,250.00...however tell him what kind of budget you had in mind. He is the owner and is such a great guy. His workmanship is impeccable. Perhaps call him first.
Take care!! What an exciting time for you!! Regards, Susan

Oh yes, ...........

WHAT type of feeling and look do you want?
    Bookmark   Thanked by alisa4ever    July 24, 2013 at 2:50PM
14thstreet
I love the idea of an indigo as your accent color...
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by alisa4ever    July 24, 2013 at 2:56PM
Need help picking out paint for the living room and dining room
We are moving to an older home and need help picking...
brendakstricker
Need help picking an oriental rug for an orange/red colored living room.
I love the feel of this room but want an oriental rug....
purplehoneypie
NEED HELP PICKING OUT COLOR FOR MY KITCHEN WALLS.- HELP
I NEED A COLOR THAT WOULD LOOK GREAT WITH CABINETS...
ritaai
denaeng
Need help picking a color for our Living Room (Poor Lighting)
Hello. My husband and I live in a narrow townhowm in...
joshandeliza
do they cut 12 foot slabs of granite or do i HAVE to have a seam?
I have my heart set on an exotic granite, but I am...
renovationkit2015
Long Living room no focal point and paint colors
Hello all! This is my first post. We live in what is...
catmele
Backsplash ideas
Hello!! Stuck on a design dilemma for a few weeks and...
applepanovers
Thermador Versus Kitchen Aid appliances
Any opinions out there about Thermador appliances versus...
Georgie Walker
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc