Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanna100

Shared bathroom, doubles as ensuite, long narrow space! Help!

joanna100
10 years ago
Bathroom/bedroom priorites dilemma! We renovating an older house. The plans you can see below are some options we're stumped on. The whole floor plan just gives you a vague indication of where the master bedroom fits into the whole plan. The wall between the planned bedroom and bathroom doesn't currently exist (it's an old style separate lounge. There is another toilet and shower in the laundry at the other end of house.

So how much room do we steal from the bedroom for the bathroom (we're currently umming over 1.8m or 2m, which would make the bedroom 3.6m x 3.2 or 3.4)? Is an ensuite THAT important (one less door means more room for separate shower, if shower is over bath, window may be an issue)? And are the layouts for each option the best? Thanks for your thoughts!!

Comments (13)

• 747.2fra
    10 years ago
    I'm confused. Which bedroom is the master? The one closest to the living room? Also, why do all the mock ups have a hall space included?
  • PRO
    N.O.R,LLC
    10 years ago
    i love the old house and their layout ,i like your house configuration of the area ,but not every one can stay with small bathroom,I m saying it depend how much space you want in your bed room.is the blue bed room your master bed room,do you have a option of moving the bath tub in middle and shift the wall toward your bed room?I don't have any measurement to see how big is the bed room and how big is the bathroom?
  • joanna100
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Joice and N.O.R.

The master bedroom is bottom right in blue (sorry the mock ups are rotated 90 degrees in relation to the whole floor plan). The hallway is just shown as that is where traffic will come from and it is also a new wall. Currently the whole space is one big room.

Room measurements are above in metric. In feet they are approx 13ft by 18ft total, with proposed wall making a bedroom 13ft x 12ft and bathroom 13ft x 6ft.

Hope that makes sense! :)
  • Belle V
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would personally go with the 2nd mock up. You have your tube and separate shower and still have a decent size hallway. your bedroom seems to be fairly close in size but with larger window -room seeming bigger ,and unlike the 3rd mock up you still have access to the bathroom. I would just add 2 sinks instead of one.
    joanna100 thanked Belle V
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Last option, no second door, but without the shallow tall cabinet.
    joanna100 thanked rinked
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    2 Meter wide bathroom.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    When moving the 'first bedroom' door to the hallway you could have a big shower AND get rid of an extra door in the living area.

A complete reconfiguration is always nice to draw, but also very costly and difficult to manifest, because the walls around the fireplace will probably be loadbearing.
    joanna100 thanked rinked
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    10 years ago
    Renovations are always exciting! If you happen to need a new bathroom vanity for your space, I'd suggest you enter our contest! Just click the link: http://www.cabinetstogo.com/Bathroom-Vanity-Contest.asp and vote for which vanity you want. Then you're entered to win that exact one...pretty easy! GOOD LUCK :)
  • 747.2fra
    10 years ago
    Where does the door at the end of the hall go?

Since the new bathroom will be shared (I'm assuming since there's a door in the hall) I don't think having a door into the Master should be a priority.
  • joanna100
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks houssaon and rinqreation! Funny - hubby has the same 2 door hate! It sounds like I'm being outvoted on the shared ensuite idea. :)

We've actually been set on both the configurations you suggested, we moved away from yours houssaon because we really wanted to keep a closed off office space (and hubby built the front deck and landing already for the door at the end of the hallway!). And I don't know why we shifted the door on the bedroom back to the same area, I think it was about having easy access to all the kids bedrooms. But maybe we should shift it back as you suggest rinqreation.

Joice, the door at the end of the hallway is the front door, the entrance closest to the street, that you would come to first if you were a visitor. Not totally necessary, but we reinstated it before we decided we wanted the entrance up the stairs (middle bottom) which would be under a carport.

Thanks for all your input!! It's really helpful to have some unattached opinions. I'm keen to hear from anyone else on the shared ensuite or 2 door hate question! :)
  • dharmabum_ken
    9 years ago

Pocket doors!

• georgiancottageliving
    9 years ago

Where did you get the house design tool from? It's exactly what I'm looking for as I'm currently drawing ideas on bits of paper!