Dark floors v. light floors
Juliana Littlejohn
July 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help deciding on floor stain for this room. I am leaning toward the darker shade (Jacobean by Duraseal). Would love to hear people's opinions. Will it darken the room too much?

Thanks,
Juliana
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tennisanyone
Dark
July 25, 2013 at 5:56am   
toonia
Dark is nice. It absorbs the light, but you have light walls and great sun exposure. Keep in mind with dark everything shows up - don't know if you have pets with light hair, but it's worth it.
July 25, 2013 at 5:59am   
PRO
Eclectic Design Source
I love the look of dark floors, but I can tell you from personal experience that they are a nightmare to keep clean. If you don't mind dusting them daily, go for it! I love the look of light walls and dark floors, very clean and bright. But, your floors are so beautiful that I even like them as-is (in the first photo). They're less dramatic than dark, but they lend a lot of warmth to the clean lines of your furniture, making for an interesting composition.
July 25, 2013 at 6:41am     
Mark
I love the color that your floors are now. If I had to choose a stain I would go for the third one from the left ) I think if you choose a dark floor with dark sofa and dark area rug it just becomes to monochromatic and not in a good way.
July 25, 2013 at 6:55am     
Juliana Littlejohn
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Helps a lot. The furniture in the picture actually belongs to the previous owner. I am thinking of getting all light furniture and was going to paint the foyer a bluish grey. I think it will look good with the dark floors. But you are all right, it may be risky and harder to keep clean. I may just play it safe and go with the light shade.
July 25, 2013 at 7:02am