Dark floors v. light floors
Juliana Littlejohn
I need help deciding on floor stain for this room. I am leaning toward the darker shade (Jacobean by Duraseal). Would love to hear people's opinions. Will it darken the room too much?

Thanks,
Juliana
tennisanyone
Dark
July 25, 2013 at 5:56am   
toonia
Dark is nice. It absorbs the light, but you have light walls and great sun exposure. Keep in mind with dark everything shows up - don't know if you have pets with light hair, but it's worth it.
July 25, 2013 at 5:59am   
Eclectic Design Source
I love the look of dark floors, but I can tell you from personal experience that they are a nightmare to keep clean. If you don't mind dusting them daily, go for it! I love the look of light walls and dark floors, very clean and bright. But, your floors are so beautiful that I even like them as-is (in the first photo). They're less dramatic than dark, but they lend a lot of warmth to the clean lines of your furniture, making for an interesting composition.
July 25, 2013 at 6:41am     
Mark
I love the color that your floors are now. If I had to choose a stain I would go for the third one from the left ) I think if you choose a dark floor with dark sofa and dark area rug it just becomes to monochromatic and not in a good way.
July 25, 2013 at 6:55am     
Juliana Littlejohn
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Helps a lot. The furniture in the picture actually belongs to the previous owner. I am thinking of getting all light furniture and was going to paint the foyer a bluish grey. I think it will look good with the dark floors. But you are all right, it may be risky and harder to keep clean. I may just play it safe and go with the light shade.
July 25, 2013 at 7:02am   
Hardwood Floors - dark v. light
My husband and I are moving into our new home in a...
Hardwood Floors: the pros and cons of light v dark
We just purchased a new home and are in the process...
Dark or light counters with white cabinets and dark floors?
Finally getting a chance to update our kitchen. We've...
what voltage does this light work with, i.e., 100v or 120v?
Does this light operate at 100 volts at 60 Hz? I ask...
Eat in kitchen corner
I posted earlier about this . I keep trying to fix...
generic ceiling paint question
Hello All, My wife and I just purchased a single family...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
Backsplash tile w granite
Having to pick granite and backsplash from afar. Granite...