Corner garden
armygirl1987
I am in sunny Fl , Zone 10 I believe and trying to spruce up this corner. I already bought two Cannas, Coleus. Purple vine, Caladium and Crotons Trying to see if I can get the look of the 3rd pic. Am I on the right track. What will be a good layout. Thanks.
armygirl1987
Here are the 3 pics of the area
July 25, 2013 at 6:49am   
handymam
I think you are on the right track Angela. I don't know a lot about what grows in Florida,but I think you are getting there. I amnot familiar with crotons. To achieve the desired look of the third pic though, you will need to add some annuals as they have, what looks like blue lobelia and I don't know what those colorful flowers are in the back. Perhaps some new guinea impatiens or some geraniums would work there for you, depending on the amount of sun/shade you get.
July 25, 2013 at 6:54am        Thanked by armygirl1987
armygirl1987
@handymam-definately like the annuals you suggest. it is best to cluster them in groups right?
July 25, 2013 at 7:19am     
handymam
Well in the pic you showed, they are in a row along the back, but yes, together as opposed to spread out. I don't know how long the growing season is for Florida. If it were spring now, I would say to space annuals as the tag suggests. But as it is later, you may want to put them closer than suggested to get that full look.
July 25, 2013 at 7:25am        Thanked by armygirl1987
handymam
Did you get those lime green type coleus they have in the pic angela? I saw those at lowes this year and I love that color. Didn't get them because I had coleus last year and something ate it up outside. I think it was bugs rather than deer that time though, lol.
July 25, 2013 at 7:30am        Thanked by armygirl1987
armygirl1987
The landscaper told me to make sure that i spray the ground first cause when i was diggin there were worms in the ground. i did get coleus.
July 25, 2013 at 7:33am     
handymam
What did he say what to spray with? I am assuming you don't mean there were earthworms, but something that would grow into garden eating bugs?
July 25, 2013 at 7:36am        Thanked by armygirl1987
armygirl1987
He did not give me a particular name, but i am going to the nursery this weekend before i start to be sure. I am not sure what they were, but they were in the ground because there was not plants there before just grass.
July 25, 2013 at 7:39am     
handymam
Hmmmm, well if they are earthworms, they are actually good for the soil. Maybe you should put one in a baggie and take it for a field trip to the nursery with you. They would know what it is.
July 25, 2013 at 7:42am        Thanked by armygirl1987
armygirl1987
Ok, that makes so much sense. thanks for that
July 25, 2013 at 7:44am     
armygirl1987
Handymam-you can respond here in reference front door and dresser too.
July 25, 2013 at 7:45am     
handymam
Oh, okay, just left something on the other, but I can continue here. Just ask whatever you want on here then from now on. :)
July 25, 2013 at 7:59am     
armygirl1987
yes, thanks, just want to limit my house stuff on there, can you delete please. thanks
July 25, 2013 at 8:01am     
handymam
Did you read what I posted about sanding? don't want to delete until you read it.
July 25, 2013 at 8:03am   
armygirl1987
i am going to copy it now.
July 25, 2013 at 8:05am   
armygirl1987
The dresser will needed to be sanded, sanded, sanded. Always with the grain of the wood. You only need to get off the finish, not the stain. Just til the shiny part is gone. I used kilz bullseye 1-2-3 primer. It that bonds to anything just to be sure.I use those foamy sanding blocks available at Lowes or home dep. But sometimes, flat sandpaper is needed or works better depending if the dresser is totally flat or has raised parts. Start with Medium to rough paper and work your way
July 25, 2013 at 8:08am   
armygirl1987
Well in that case Angela, you can just paint over the painted door. But try to do it when the sun isn't beating down on it or the paint will fry. AND if you don't want the paint to stick to the door frame and get ripped off, think about painting it on a day when you will be home ALL day, so you can leave it open (maybe you have a gate to keep your dogs in?) for it to reall dry properly. Nothing worsethatn painting and having the paint pull off at the corners.
July 25, 2013 at 8:09am   
armygirl1987
handy you can delete now, thanks do not want to crowd the discussion with my stuff.
July 25, 2013 at 8:09am     
handymam
okay, will do.
July 25, 2013 at 8:15am     
handymam
Done!
July 25, 2013 at 8:26am     
rbex
handyman, the lime green plants look like potato vine.
July 25, 2013 at 9:27am     
handymam
rbex, yes, I thought so too, but when Angela was mentioning her plants, I thought maybe she got them instead of potato vine and really was asking if she got that color. Does that make any sense, lol?
July 25, 2013 at 11:21am   
rbex
Handymam, do you mean should she use that colour? I'm sorry I'm a bit confused. :)
July 25, 2013 at 9:36pm   
peaceseeker
About the landscaping question... It sounds like the purple vine might be clematis jackmanii that is best suited to be against the wood fence cause it's a climber. You will need to use a wire to zig zag on the wood fence to ensure the plant fills the wall nicely. The next plant is the canna, be sure to space them because they will fill nicely if well watered & fertilized regularly. They will double in size quickly. The other plants can be placed in groupings or patters of your choice in front of the canna. Split them if you need to balance with symmetry.

Finally, the worms you are talking about sound like grub, ( look like c shape white worms) which feast voraciously on roots of your grass until they become the mature Japanese beetle that then feast on your plants. Treat all your soil/ grass area. I assume from the looks of your grass picture with what seems, to be thinned out grass and dry patches plus its the season for the common problem. I would definitely take a sample to the nursery to confirm. Sounds like you have plenty of plants for that spot. Happy gardening!
July 25, 2013 at 11:06pm     
armygirl1987
Planting done today.
August 10, 2013 at 1:32pm   
armygirl1987
Here
August 11, 2013 at 10:39pm     
handymam
Looks great Angela! Are you going you mulch the bed to retain moisture? It really does help.
August 12, 2013 at 5:08am        Thanked by armygirl1987
handymam
Angela, is that fence yours, and is that the only place you have it? If you are looking for another project, you could stain and or seal your fence. You know, now that school is done! Congratulations by the way!
August 12, 2013 at 5:47am        Thanked by armygirl1987
armygirl1987
Handymam-I am trying what to figure out what to do, I have stones around the rest of the house so trying to figure out what to do next. Yes it is my fence and I that will be a project for the future.
August 12, 2013 at 5:58am     
handymam
Stones around your other gardens? that would look great in this corner garden too, not to make more work for you, lol!
August 12, 2013 at 6:02am     
armygirl1987
Yes, I have stones in the other gardens so will do the same here.
August 12, 2013 at 7:15am   
Ideas needed for terracing a downward sloping corner garden!
We need to terrace a downward sloping corner garden....
Garden Corner Ideas?
Hi, I'm stuck for ideas for this corner of our garden....
Simple Asian corner garden
Looking for Asian garden ideas. Small space, corner...
Garden corner help needed
Hello, I am looking for help with the design of this...
Back Splash on unusual wall
I don't know if I should continue the stone behind...
Guest bed drama! Advice for twin XL pop up trundle
I'm looking for a twin XL bed frame that is high enough...
Help! Need decorating insight for my foyer
HI, I would love some decorating insight on my foyer....
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...