Help with living room
marybraue
I want to paint , new couch chairs , coffee table , etc. My husband won't let go of the panino the book shelves are new. I was going to paint the back of the shelves with the wall color. The rest of the house is neutral colors. I know the drapes have to go. I have to get new carpet my husband won't let me get hardwood. Want the room to standout a wow factor. Is going to be my room no TV. I wanted to be a room where you want to walk in and not leave. Comfortable cozy. I have about 12 K. I need some suggestions help
cwalbrun19
Find an inspiration piece to start out...maybe some throw pillows or art you are drawn too. That will give you a jumping off point. You can take the pillows (or whatever you find) shopping for a new sofa to match and to start finding paint colors. The final decision on the wall color should be one of the last things you do, since it will have to work around everything else you get and that can easily dictate it. Personally, I LOVE a mix of nuetrals tans or taupes for soft seating and wall color, then accent pieces in a color really jump out in a fabulous magazine cover kind of way.
July 25, 2013 at 9:55am     
marybraue
Here is the dining room the drapes have to go and so does the chandelier. If I get new carpet for the living room I'll put it in the dining room as well
July 25, 2013 at 10:06am   
jstevenson716
For your bookcases try putting printed wall paper on the inside for a wow factor instead of a plain color, if they pop out individually you can wrap each back with fabric and then it's an easy switch out when you want to change the decor, also if you found a pretty print in fabric or wallpaper for the bookcases this could give you the inspiration you need color wise to start pulling from! Happy decorating :)
July 25, 2013 at 10:32am      Thanked by marybraue
marybraue
Any suggestion of paint colors. I'm leaning towards dark blue tone That has some pink or red mixed to it that family It's hard to describe. I know the color when I see it. I'm tired of browns. And I have a beautiful green in my bedroom. I want something elegant comfortable it's jazzy. Just want to room that I want to be in all the time. The drapes have to go
July 25, 2013 at 10:48am   
Terracegallery
I agree with cwalbrun19...an inspiration piece to start with so the room has cohesion and has a feel that you love....I have a room to myself...but it is a messy paint splattered work place...I envy you. ;)

What type of art do you like? I am delighted to give Houzz discounts (sometimes they can be huge discounts!)
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-sharon-cummings.html?tab=artworkgalleries
July 25, 2013 at 10:53am      Thanked by marybraue
Jayme Designs, LLC
Inspiration is definitely a must! If you're going with neutrals, be sure to mix in lots of patterns and textures for interest. If you're really not digging putting carpet in, go with a low pile version and buy two really fun rugs (one for your room, and one for the dining room). Don't be afraid to move that furniture around. The room as is, is suffering from what I like to call "magnet walls". All of the furniture seems to be magnetically stuck against them. People can be afraid to move furniture away from the walls because of a loss of floor space, but often it makes the room feel larger and more inviting. Besides, unless you're planning on ballroom dancing in your free time, there's really no need for a big patch of unused floor space! Good luck!
July 25, 2013 at 11:02am      Thanked by marybraue
Here's my first observation - your sofa upholstery is a lovely gold shade, so it is fighting the taupe / tan neutral walls that tend brown. The carpet is neutral enough to head in the sterling direction - a great color palette with the gold of your sofa would be to blend it with a warm gray, charcoal and black to tie in the piano and the white trim / window muntins and new storage.

Taking your walls just one tone over to a pale gray would solve this and immediately help the white bookcases and black piano feel like they were in the right range. We just have to fill in the color range so the eye sees lots of grays in between white and black, and pump up the gold and brass accents. Fabric print layering would do that.

Look at these fabrics and imagine them in your space - for curtains against a pale gray wall - http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=21&productID=8870&pStart=0&recNum=152
see how this all cotton fabric instantly ties together all the shades you have in your space? look at the gray tones - how one is charcoal but one is a warm gray - that is the shade you would try to match when you went paint shopping.

Test sw repose gray and put dorian gray from the same card below the chairrail. The deeper dovetail tone would give you the contrast you want on the back of the white cabinets. Here's a link to the card - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7015-repose-gray/

Maybe add some of those brass lamps that perch on top of bookcases washing down the face of the white cabinets? I would snug these a little closer to the piano and give the end table on the sofa and the window some breathing room.

Look at these other elements which help tie back to the color palette - imagine an accent chair across from the piano in this print http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=26&productID=8579&pStart=0&recNum=34

and see a pair of side by side mid-tone sterling gray linen chairs with lumbar pillows like this gold on white at the window wall with the floor lamp http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=26&productID=8110&pStart=200&recNum=234
A simple round metal drink table between them from home goods will echo and bring the brass tones around.

You don't really have to change the carpet - it is neutral enough that it will reflect the grayer / more platinum tones once the wall is corrected.That frees up $ for things that belong to and travel with you - you could layer in a beautiful oriental carpet in gold and black in it in the dining room if you want to help bring the color palette in here besides the drapery - Overstock is a great resource for that.

The brass lamp in the dining room echoes this gold - and then you just need some other art for the walls. Brass elements in the china cabinet will reflect around the room - Maybe use rub n buff brass on something like the urn on the floor in the corner to make it have metallic brass finish and use it on the sideboard.

Curate what is on the shelves - the lighthouses should go together / they inspired this.You could add some b/w photos, graphic line art, perhaps some shadow box things. Add a few brass things, something sculptural / add brass rub n buff to the sculptural metail you have now - perhaps add a dijon glass vase on the piano - layers of gold tones in different elements. Love the shades on your lamps for their shimmer, for instance. You might take the other shade on the standing lamp and switch it out for a black shade with a gold interior, for instance.

The curtains should be hung high and wide on thick rods - the print on white on the pale gray will wake up both rooms, and make it feel very fresh and modern, but the linen is going to read so they fold nicely to sit outside the windows.

I would probably move the landscape with all the green to another spare room, and re-mat the bird of paradise in a shimmery gold matting that was oversized so as to tie back to the gold elements in the room. A more substantial frame would help that too - more in scale. I would add some amazing black and white art photograph of a place that was really special to you and your husband in large scale framed in brassy gold over the sofa -

Hope this gives you enough visual cues to inspire you to order a 1/2 yard of fabric swatches to drape here and there to envision how it would come together.
July 25, 2013 at 11:10am      Thanked by marybraue
ps - post the blue you love, i bet it would be the perfect 10% accent for the color palette I found. Blues and grays are always right together and sing with gold. Art with those shades and a few things for the bookcase, one print with gray and blue for pillows on the sofa and you are there. i was writing while you were posting so i missed that.
July 25, 2013 at 11:13am      Thanked by marybraue
erinsean
Can't see all of your room but I see a lamp and little end table "hiding" behind your bookshelves. Can you put your couch on the wall where your stereo cabinet is now? When you get your new chairs you can arrange the furniture to suit you. Carpet is nice....how about a light gold for the walls?
July 25, 2013 at 12:34pm      Thanked by marybraue
diyher
maybe it's me, but the room seems on the dark side even during the day even with the curtains open. I was think a dark blue would make the room look even darker? The front of my house is Northern exposure and tend to be a bit darker, the back of the house is Southern exposure and have a good amount of light all year long. I've always used that to help determine what colors would work. just like if you have a very dark kitchen, painting your cabinets black wouldn't be the way to go.
July 25, 2013 at 12:56pm        Thanked by marybraue
marybraue
I took a
July 25, 2013 at 3:16pm   
marybraue
I took advice from Terracegallery. I love color. But balanced I love these two pictures. Number one and number two can I get some feedback on using this above the piano.
July 25, 2013 at 3:20pm   
marybraue
as i said this is the art I found THe gold is from my husbanx X and it may look good in a picture it is old I love blue or blue gray with a warm color of blue. I love white and a darker warm blue what do you think Thank you for all your time and thought you must have the passion for design. I am a nurse for 30 years and my husband left me with 7 children I staye in tht field because well They had to go to college. now I am 62 and nely married and I love design. My husndud cold care less. I want this room to be specal. life in South NJ had a designe out about six months ago but my husband didnt want to take down this wall to make a great room. I have to work around him. She never called back I called her about two weeks ago to get some help on the single room. Thanks again
July 25, 2013 at 4:33pm   
The Rug Warehouse
I also agree that the current carpet isn't so bad because it's neutral. One of these could liven up the floor and goes with the modern design and blue-gray colors you like!
July 25, 2013 at 5:06pm      Thanked by marybraue
marybraue
love the RUG
July 25, 2013 at 6:44pm     
The Rug Warehouse
Glad to hear it! See more like these here: http://www.therugwarehouse.com/Contemporary-rugs/i/1-1-1-0-0/ and give us a call if you find something you want!
July 26, 2013 at 10:31am   
If you would rather recover the sofa than paint, the paint and carpet will work with navy and white - it doesn't tie in the piano like the previous palette - using the range of grays to do that is a good strategy. Your art inspiration is nearly primary colors - fun and modern, but not a terrific color palette in primary form unless you are doing a nursery / kids room. Can you find something in your favorite blue and post it?
July 26, 2013 at 11:10am     
Privacy...and other questions
Not sure what to do here. This is my side door to the...
What does luxury mean to you?
The beauty of Houzz is that you can get inspiration...
Need help with a 1930's kitchen
We're buying a 1930's colonial that needs some updating....
Looking for a unique masculine mirror for a mens bathroom.
I don't have photo's but we are decorating a new build....
Bedrooms in a Grade II listed house
Could I please have comments/advice of placing the...