I need some advice for this garden.
thankfully
This is on a slope. Advice is needed to help me find a solution. How can I prevent the soil from running over the brick after rain or watering? We thought about digging a trench and filling with rock. the middle of the path will have stepping stone surrounded by small pebbles.
July 25, 2013 at 11:00am     
thankfully
Thank you so much for taking time to give me advice. Your garden is BEAUTIFUL!!!
July 25, 2013 at 11:06am   
jeepflyer
I second Judy's idea. Use something more substantial than what looks to be leftover brick. One of the biggest mistakes I see (and I'm no expert by any stretch) is people not adequately sectioning off a "garden" from the rest of the yard. I can't tell from the picture but is there another edging of some sort starting in the lower left corner? If you have an area that large, you need something larger to not be dwarfed by the size of the space. Again, looking at the picture Judy posted, those are significantly larger bushes (and more of them) with the smaller plants like your daisies mixed in among them. It doesn't look like you would need to get rid of what you have, maybe just move them around to make larger holes for a more significant plant. I'm partial to ornamental grasses myself.
July 25, 2013 at 11:09am      Thanked by thankfully
thankfully
I thank you for your thoughts. This is a work in progress so I appreciate your help. Here is a photo of the garden, it is on the side of my house.
July 25, 2013 at 11:18am   
jeepflyer
This is a much more explanatory picture. All the more reason to have a higher edging in place. If you don't you'll probably have a problem every time it rains of the top layer (dirt, mulch, etc.) running down onto your path. I'm in the process of planning a kitchen remodel, but as soon as that requires more skill than I have (meaning anything more than demo work haha), I'm leaving it to the pros and moving on to the back yard. My plan was to do something with paving stones and grass between them...

Is the space to the left of the ornamental grass used for much? Asking because the row of grass kind of cuts it off from the path. If you moved the grass it might make it feel more open and user friendly.
July 25, 2013 at 11:57am   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
It's looking good and the suggestions to add a higher course of brick is great. Mulching the area that you have planted will also help diffuse the water run off as will a rain garden at the end of the bed - dig the dirt out a bit, add some compost, and soil conditioner and fill with plants that love wet conditions.
July 25, 2013 at 2:43pm   
Studio M Interior Design
Add some mulch to go in between your plants. Then add a decorative border by using stone or brick to accentuate your pathway. Finish the pathway by filling in with pebbles, gravel, or pavers :)
July 25, 2013 at 3:53pm   
decorcrazy
Yes, I think someone said above higher edging. That would work.
July 25, 2013 at 4:15pm   
josieduff
This is what we did to our yard. The bed around the house has some junipers, small flowering bushes, flat rocks and mulch. This is very low maintenance and looks great all the time. We made sure to prep the soil with layers of landscape fabric under all the mulch.
July 25, 2013 at 5:21pm     
I need some advice on hardwood flooring.
We are adding on to our house and would like to use...
Need some advice on this office. I'm a rookie :)
This is a work office. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!...
I need some expert advice about quartzite - please!
We purchased a polished slab of mother of pearl quartzite...
Need Help - Window or corner cabinet? Take a look.
Hello All - Thanks for taking a moment to read about...
Redoing kitchen for resale--white? Which granite?
We are putting our townhome up for sale. Kitchen is...
What can I do to the front of this house to make it attractive..
Would like to turn room to the right back into a porch. Can...
Need Help with Family Room
I have a dilemma with what I should do with my family...
Please critique my floorplan
This will be a 2 stories mountain house. Floor plans...