Front Door & Garage door paint suggestions?
adm1002
July 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi!
I really dislike my front door in general. The main issue is the maroon color. I am thinking of painting the door/frame/sidelights and maybe the garage doors as well. Any suggestions?

pictures would be amazing. :))
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
papillon2
I would keep the garage door its present color, unless you want it to become a focal point. You already have a lot of interest in the stone, and don't need to create more by making the garage door stand out.

I think a light bluish gray might be nice on the front door.
July 26, 2013 at 7:15am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
libradesigneye
This color on your front door is actually well keyed to the brick tone. You have a very traditional home, so a bright pop of color on the front door is ill advised. You could go to a classic charcoal tone - like sw roycroft peter http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW2848-roycroft-pewter/

Might I say that I believe the real challenge here is the palladian window four panel door when you might properly have a more tudor-esque door. You have a huge eyebrow transom light, and several around the turret - my issue with the front door is the style - inexpensive builder grade quality of it compared to the extensive and detailed brick and stone work / archtopped windows on the home. If you were to look at doors with tudor details, a wood look finish door would be preferable, perhaps a rustic plank with calavos and a speakeasy window. Look at these as examples then speak to your local building supply - you might do better with a wood look fiberglass door http://www.thefrontdoorco.com/Doors/Rustic.aspx
July 26, 2013 at 8:04am