Inset v. freestanding bathtub
drpinkie
We're renovating our master bath to a contemporary classic look. I see lots of 'new' bathrooms w/ freestanding tubs next to shower enclosures. Are inset tubs out of style?
Honestly, I think the freestanding tubs are a bit of a fad. They have a wonderful old-fashioned look (and I have an original clawfoot one in my 1920's era bathroom, which I love). But I don't think that a lovely inset tub with a deck around it (which is MUCH more convenient for perching your shampoo or bubblebath or soap) will ever go out of style. What may fluctuate is the popularity of some of the shapes, sizes, and materials. Some contemporary inset tubs I like:
California Cool in the Castro-Bathroom
guest bathroom
Contemporary Bathroom
Westlake Residence
Pacific Heights Mediterranean
Kentfield Residence - Tub Deck
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 7:45AM
drpinkie
That's really helpful - you raise some great points and found great images! I would be very happy with any of these options, especially the Westlake Residence, which is about the size/shape we're working with. It doesn't look 80s at all!!
2 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 7:59AM
Free standing tubs do provide more visual space and take up less room depending on the design of the tub.

0 Likes   Thanked by drpinkie    July 26, 2013 at 8:13AM
drpinkie
Hi Dytecture - Yes, that's what I like about them, they create more visual space. The tricky part is that our bathroom is kind of small, only 8.25ft sq. The bath and shower share a wall. I only have 67" for a bath including surrounding space to fit, so it will be a smallish free-standing bath next to a glass shower enclosure. Worried it might looked a little jammed. Then again, the bath in the picture you sent isn't fitting that far off the vanity and it looks great!
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 8:18AM
does anyone hate hardwood floors in their kitchen?
Trying to decide if hardwood kitchen floors will be...
Need ideas to harmonize design with new tufted bed and Ikea dressers
We currently have Ikea Malm dressers, a 6-drawer and...
Fireplace Make Over - where to begin?
I painted our family room which used to be the color...
Need Help For Couch
Hey everyone, Actually I am in dilemma with which...