Have 250 sq feet to fill next to oak floors? Another wood?

cmnq17July 26, 2013
I have 12 year old red oak floors with a natural stain that goes next to our family area that has always been carpet. I am done with carpet and want ideas of what to use for this area-I don't want to try and match existing floor since I have heard nightmares about this. I really like the idea of a hickory or maple-darker stain and then install diagonal. Second idea was tile but that is so hard and not as cozy-thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Diagonal is not good - what about trying out cork? Cork floors come in tones that look great next to wood floors and they are terrific these days.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 8:57AM
cmnq17
I thought of cork, but was discouraged because I have 2 80-pound golden retrievers. Not sure of the durability with these 2 guys running around all the time.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:06AM
Riddle Construction and Design
Assuming you have the traditional oak floor that is laid and finished in place, yes you can very successfully install additional oak floor next to it without matching issues. The key to this is that the whole floor ( old and new) has to be re-sanded and then re-finished. You may see just a slight variation in the new to old wood, but over time that fades as the new is exposed to UV. We do this all the time in our remodels with great success. Having all the same floor does enhance continuity in the house as opposed to going with another surface. With large dogs, a porcelain tile would hold up very well especially installed with an epoxy based grout. There are some beautiful tiles out there these days.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:26AM
Unless you want to use tile or stone, I agree that matching is the best option, and Riddle's advice to have the same wood installed and then refinish both floors will pretty much guarantee the result. We even managed to match 90 year old white oak floors to new ones in an addition, and we didn't resand the old wood because it has gotten thin from a number of refinishings over the years. But a talented wood floor specialist managed to get a near-perfect match anyway. Old wood is on the top half of the picture; new wood is on the bottom half.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:46AM
Whopper Room: Ready to Fill :)
Ive got a monster living/dining room in our "new" A....
LeAnne Cantrell
home office, media room AND library all in 12.5 sq metres??
Hi everyone. I'd love some ideas and feedback on how...
saffron_au
Empty space in living room- do I need to fill it?
I have a long, narrow living room. I actually call...
mish8789
Prefinished or Site sand/finish hard woods? Are oak floors out of date
I will be installing wood floors in approx 2600 sq...
kcarty1
Bought a 750 sq ft 1BR in Manhattan that needs renovating...HELP!
This is quickly becoming a gut renovation, though that...
vpbarreras
What Should I Replace This Light With?
I feel like this light is completely random! Any ideas...
S T
need advise
I just my new home and want to furnish it. Can I get...
Danny Weng
Kitchen floor ideas
We are buying a house built in 1948, and the owner...
sarahfellner
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
theruts
help with living room
Hi, I need some help with this room, what to I need...
Gillibeanz