BORING Living Room
Celestine M
Help! My living room is boring and lacking personality. It's an odd shaped space, but has neat features, including: a floor to ceiling built in, and a fireplace. My home has an open concept floor plan with a great kitchen. I'd for everything to - I hate this word - flow together.

I dont like how the furniture is cramped into one area and I'm not sure any of it matches.

I would like to keep the furniture (couch, sofa, trunk) but i'm open to all options/recommendations. I'd specifically love help with the following:

1. A new paint color that would be compliment the bamboo flooring and lighter tile
2. Furniture rearrangement ideas
3. Options and ideas to bring it all together!!

I'm considering moving the larger art piece next to the built-in to the hallway (shown), which would leave that wall empty. Also the piece above the fireplace, I may move it to my bedroom or the guest room. Do you think large black shelves would look nice above the fireplace instead?

alright - enough of my blabbering. Here are the photos:)
Celestine M
Here are a few more! :)
July 26, 2013 at 1:21pm   
RosemaryR
Can you show pictures of the other side of the room, what are the dimensions?
July 26, 2013 at 1:30pm        Thanked by Celestine M
Celestine M
Hi Rosemary, the other side of the room's photos are attached in my original post above but here are some more. the (aprox) dimensions are as follows:

Wall along the built-ins: 19.5 feet
fireplace wall: 11.5 feet
furniture walls: 7.5 x 9.5
July 26, 2013 at 1:42pm   
Trying to figure out what is going on with the curtains!!! I think you need more volume in the entry - rug, substantial credenza, beautiful art and a stunning pendant chandy. The fireplace is always supposed to be the focal point if you have one. Sofas and coffee table are fine but need much larger and more colorful rug to fit under all front feet and extend 10" on either side of the two sofas (this is the minimum size you need.) That arrangement needs to float out in front of the FP, and if the sofas could fit entirely on the rug that would be even better. Your TV set up is strange and looks like it is behind bars. I'd prefer it above the FP and would make the investment to install it there. I'd put the picture from the FP on the clock wall in the dining area and the clock can go on the partition wall next to the fridge, or on the column wall where the picture is facing the French or slider doors. Would like to see better pix of your art to advise. I'm thinking the large piece by the TV might be stunning alone in the entry with nothing else but a glam chandelier and a fab area rug.
July 26, 2013 at 3:54pm        Thanked by Celestine M
abbyjean
Yes.....move the furniture OUT IN TO THE ROOM. Then there is room by that opening in the wall and it will not emphasize that the love seat does not fit exactly on the wall. It will look soooo nice cozied up to the fire place. That larger art piece will work in the entry and maybe bring that table in to the room.....either as a sofa table or on the wall across from the slider. Looks like I agree with deco on lots!! As usual!
July 26, 2013 at 3:58pm        Thanked by Celestine M
Celestine M
@Decoenthusiaste: Thank you. Thank you.
The curtains were pulled up because I was cleaning the floors - ha. I should have taken them down before I posted to avoid any confusion. The television isn't behind bars, I just had one of the doors closed. I've reposted:) The art photos are also attached. The photo of the woman (henry ascencio's red door) is the larger piece, the photo above the FB is Michael Flohrs "friday night", and the photo facing the slider is Flohrs "martini for me."
July 26, 2013 at 4:14pm   
Celestine M
"Red Door" attached. :)
July 26, 2013 at 4:15pm   
Celestine M
Here is another piece we have - just to see if you all would have any other ideas for it :) it's currently in my bedroom
July 26, 2013 at 4:32pm   
bronxgirl67
Hi Celestine M
Your space is a great size to create more than one seating area. I would paint the walls a warm SAND color, and add bamboo blinds. I would move the seating area away from the wall and add bar stools to face the kitchen. I would move the couch, rug and trunk in front of the TV to create that intimate space to watch TV. (I cant figure the TV area out, is it a built in) It would be great if TV could hang over FP. I would move everything off FP, I would put a big beautiful plant in front of the opening, leave picture. Its bad feng shui to have your back to the front door, you should always be able to see who is coming in. I know its hard to figure the right placement for furniture..I hope this may help to start creating a cozy room
July 26, 2013 at 5:01pm     
What are the sizes of the pieces? I'd love the Red Door in the foyer myself. Get a sexy chandelier to "replay" the subject matter and a rug with the same colors, maybe emphasizing the blues in her hair. Does that blue match your sofas? You need one on the wall into the hallway, as you mentioned before. Try the Martini there and keep the landscape for your bedroom. Have you thought of painting the two square columns and the wall beneath the bar to the kitchen in an accent color? Maybe that blue again! Change your beige pillows to the red, since it is already in the FP art and will be in the foyer. Sherwin Williams has a paint color called Heartthrob that is a wild red!
July 26, 2013 at 5:05pm     
Celestine M
Deco, I've moved red door to the foyer :) kinda love it. Thank you. Ill move the table somewhere else and look for a rug and a chandelier to tie it all together. Small change HUGE impact.
I also moved the clock and the other painting - new photos attached. Do you think a shade of blue (from the paintings) for all of the interior walls? I have a lot of black accents (built-ins), I think it would look great. You?
July 26, 2013 at 5:47pm     
abbyjean
Very nice and I agree about the huge impact that was made by a few little changes. GOOD FOR YOU!
July 26, 2013 at 7:11pm        Thanked by Celestine M
howellmsue
That is a big room and your furniture is all shoved up into a little corner. I think you could use a much larger rug as well.
July 26, 2013 at 7:42pm        Thanked by Celestine M
RosemaryR
Celestine, you have a beautiful home and you have received some great suggestions. I have a feeling you're confused on your style or the style you would like to move onto... Agree much larger rug, move furniture into the room, I'd like to see woven blinds, silk drapery (move rods closer to ceiling), you need more furniture for "grouping" as you have the space. I suggest you check out the websites bgh.com and hgtv.com. Take your time, look at pictures, look in your closet to see what colors you are attracted to when you buy clothes. I'd also like to see crown molding and a beefier mantle. If you want to paint the walls blue, go for it; if you don't like it, paint is the easiest and least expensive to change AND best of luck AND have fun decorating your lovely home.
July 26, 2013 at 9:39pm        Thanked by Celestine M
RosemaryR
P.s. I love your name.
Ed
Hi Celestine, nice flooring -- what kind of material is it (wood or bamboo) ?
July 26, 2013 at 11:24pm      Thanked by Celestine M
chemayne
You have a huge space to work with which is why I think you can afford to reorganize your furniture into zones.

FP zone - Do you actually have 2 loveseats ( I can't quite tell)? If yes, move both to the FP facing each other. Place a rug to centre the arrangement and trunk/coffee table. Hang the bedroom picture over the FP a little higher. Make sure it is 6in off the mantle. If you have power outlets close by consider getting some lamps to create a cosy conversation area.

TV zone - The sofas in the tv zone weren't working for you because one was sticking out of the shorter wall. In its place get a smaller sectional (with a chaise against the short wall). A small ottoman to complete the tv zone.

Entryway zone - Do you have a bench handy? something under the beautiful picture would look good with it. How about a potted plant closer to the door?
July 27, 2013 at 5:08am        Thanked by Celestine M
clare_v
You have a beautiful space! I would start with painting. Maybe a BM historic color like beige or a sophisticated blue.
July 27, 2013 at 5:29am   
leelee
Try bringing your sofa arrangement out from the corner to right in front of the fireplace. I can't tell if the sofas are the same size--if so, have them face each other perpendicular to the FP something like this.

Love your art. That is your strong suit and it's where most people are lacking. In the kitchen/dining area you need to lower the painting that's hung in line with the cabinets. It needs to come down just about 4 or 5 inches so it's not in a straight line with the cabs.
July 27, 2013 at 5:57am   
leelee
Oops, I just noticed that might block the entry to your kitchen/dining area if both couches are facing each other.
July 27, 2013 at 6:02am   
Celestine M
@rosemary: confused to say the least. The thing is my husband and I have been collecting things for 12 years, I feel like we have have some amazing pieces but nothing really matches.. I love the look and feel of whatever style Leelee posted above. Id love for this entire place to come together. If I had to dream up the perfect space, I imagine a larger rug with a light print of beige/white/blue (?), I love your ideas about moving the existing rod up towards the ceiling, and adding silk drapery. What colors would you incorporate? Its funny you mentioned the crown molding, we were too. The house is great but its really lacking architectural details - a gorgeous molding is exactly what we need!

@Ed, the flooring in the living room is bamboo:)

@Leelee, I have moved the painting down - what a difference! Thank you for the photos too, I love the look of both of them.

Hold on for more photos! :)
July 27, 2013 at 9:30am   
RosemaryR
Celestine, in leelee's second photo, the wall color looks blue/gray which might be the perfect color for yr. room. For yr. "imagined" rug, check out rug studio.com for ideas, also scroll down site and look at "choose the right size" which will help you visualize what size you need. You check off your blue,beige,white and rugs w/those colors will pop up, sign up for their emails for discounts too. You don't have to buy from them but it should help you go in the right direction or maybe a totally new one. I think the blue/gray paint, the rug you imagine, woven shade (in same tone as wood floor), blue or silver drapery, wooden rod too. Since everything is a sharp angle in the room, I'd like to see a round mirror above fireplace, possibly even a convex mirror. You also need lighting, you have NO lamps. I adore lamps, even have one in my bathroom and none of mine match except for the swing arms above my bed, lamps are like jewelry in yr. rooms. Check out Home Goods, TJMaxx for ideas. I think the crown molding will change out the entire look of the room, remember it should be in proportion so don't put up just a skinny strip. You can go to Home Depot, lowes and buy scraps of various moldings (sometimes you can get them for free, so ask) and tack them up to see which types would work best in the room and also remember you can build up the molding to get exactly your desired look. Are you having fun yet!?!
July 27, 2013 at 12:54pm   
Bravo on the progress you are making! Moving the art Is making a big difference. I do think the blue is a good idea. Your sofas are registering a bluish/lavender on my monitor. The brick on the FP will probably work well with blue. I think the key will be going a little lighter than the exact blue in the art. If you'll photo the art again, moving the camera really close to take in the girl but not much of the red door side, I can try color chipping it with a Sherwin Williams program that might give you a starting point. Don't worry about the quality of the image - we're going for the colors. Have you tried the former hall table just around the corner where I suggested the Martini painting go? They might work together there. Leelee was right about the piece in the kitchen. Always place them closer to the items below them, in this case the counter, than to the ceiling. You can see from the picture that it was closer to the ceiling than to the counter. It really adds a lot to that space and it looks like the orange/gold in the center of it works well with the caramel on your bar stools! Consider reupholstering your dining chairs in a fabric that incorporates the red and gold from the painting in a stripe, and add a low centerpiece that brings the same tones to the table top. I'd think having a fan over the dining table would cool the food and possibly circulate any bit of dust. How about a new chandy there hung 36" or less above the table? Here are some that look like they replicate the style of the lights in the art - cool, huh? They come in several sizes; take a look at all of them. As for your curtain rods, you might photo them up close to see if they are the best choice for you. I think we're having fun, don't you?
July 28, 2013 at 9:07am   
boring living room and dining room with no anchor point
I have one large room that is suppose to be a living...
Add color to boring, beige living room
I need help adding color to living room. Will keep...
Help! Boring Living room
We have such a boring living room... Anyone have any...
my boring living room
I have a sofa that is olive green with fine yellow...
Boring Living Room
What can I do to dress up my living room walls. We...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
Should I put a deck or patio in this space?
This is a log house with the original steps and cement...
Need a new couch for this living room!
Purchasing a new couch- thinking dark grey microsuede...
The Wanna be Old Painted Cottage
I would like yo re-upholster this retro couch and chair...
Window in Shower.
I am working on a remodel that we are fixing and selling,...