master bedroom: need help with decorating. bathroom also.
Nancy Drew
As you can see. it looks plain. I like the colors on the comforter. I like to put a window covering. I like to put something on the wall above the headboard. I'm willing to replace the accessories on my dressers. I also need help with decorating the walls in the bathroom. what other color of towels can i put together with the rust color. I like the accessories in my bathroom. I need help with decorating walls.
abbyjean
BEAUTIFUL furniture! First thing that pops out at me is the dresser.......all the items seem to be together and then a blank space. What about featuring the jewelry box and have just that in front of the mirror. Could the others go on the cedar chest? Hard to get a feel for the room, but just another small thought......would the cedar chest fit under your window? It would open up that area at the foot of your bed.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 1:47PM
abbyjean
How about using the color from your bedding that is thrown back for a color for the drapes? OR the reddish color on the plaid pillow? Put the rod up high on the wall and make them just panels since you already have blinds there.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 1:50PM
abbyjean
A long rectangle print over the bed, again using colors from the bed, with the predominant color being the one you choose for you curtains. Find more art for that wall area between your dresser and the corner piece.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 1:51PM
Nancy Drew
thank you. Yes the ceder chest can fit under the window.
   July 26, 2013 at 1:58PM
abbyjean
YES! I was soooo hoping that would work and I think it will look perfect there! Maybe put the throw at the foot of your bed now with it and not cover up that beautiful quilt!
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:00PM
Nancy Drew
on the corner dresser. Do I remove those items.
   July 26, 2013 at 2:03PM
abbyjean
That piece will look different when you get panels on the windows. I like the low rectangle piece there now, but just noticed a plant? Gee! maybe put that on the cedar chest under the window and let it spread out a little more.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:05PM
Nancy Drew
you mean hang over the throw some more
   July 26, 2013 at 2:05PM
Sophie Vernon
I think a new carpet in a neutral beige or cream would be a huge difference to the room. Then it only needs to have a few pictures on the wall (black and white may look nice) and not much else doing to it as the furniture is already lovely.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:06PM
abbyjean
Going back to the top of your dresser and the other two items other than the jewelry box......is one a money jar? Can that go on the floor in the corner by the corner piece? What is the other item?
abbyjean
That throw does not fit your bed and Iove your quilt too much! Can it be "thrown" on a corner of the chest? Just draped over the corner of it? Then the plant on the other side?
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:07PM
abbyjean
Can the white piece on your dresser go in the bathroom between the sinks?
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:08PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Furniture scale is a bit large for the room...could the highboy in the corner hide in a walkin closet??? maybe move the bed under the windows and dress them as a pretty focal point, then put the dresser on a wall of its own....?
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:09PM
abbyjean
Can you find towels the same shades as your bedding and put those together in the bathroom......bring the rooms together? Find two pics that go together to hang in there......something bright and pretty!
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:10PM
Nancy Drew
Are you referring the panel to the drapes. I didn't understand that.
   July 26, 2013 at 2:11PM
abbyjean
Yes.........drapes are panels. You do not need enough to go all the way across your window. Get ONE for each side of your window. Sometimes they are sold in sets of two, even.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:12PM
Nancy Drew
the other item on the dresser is a dec bowl filled with stones to put candles on.
   July 26, 2013 at 2:17PM
A huge improvement in your bathroom would be to frame out the mirror, this would be a pretty simple DIY job. Frame it out in white and add some white towels with the rust trim ;)
1 Like   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:20PM
abbyjean
What do you think.......would it be ok in the bathroom between the sinks and then get a candle to match in there? LOVE candles on sinks.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:20PM
Nancy Drew
I didn't like my bed by the window. it was blocking the window.
   July 26, 2013 at 2:22PM
Nancy Drew
yes it would be a good idea
   July 26, 2013 at 2:24PM
Stephanie Long
I just found an iPad app that lets you virtually hang art in your own space. So, you can see exactly how it would look. I suggest maybe over the bed? The works are all original and quite beautiful -- If you really like one, I think it could be a good place to draw inspiration from as far as a color scheme in the room. It is called ARTtwo50 and you can find it here at www.arttwo50.com.

You can also compare the art you like as seen in YOUR space. It's pretty cool, and fun.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 2:26PM
Nancy Drew
To margo. how about replacing the big mirror in the bathroom
   July 26, 2013 at 2:56PM
With what? Two mirrors ( one over each sink)?
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 3:14PM
Nancy Drew
yes two mirrors
   July 26, 2013 at 3:21PM
sure, I think you should get a light over each mirror as well. The wall would need to be repaired and painted.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 3:24PM
Or you could get a single light with more bulbs like this

Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 3:27PM
Nancy Drew
I have a side table on the left hand side of the bed. any suggestions on what style of lamp should I put on the night stand
   July 26, 2013 at 6:01PM
Sustainable Dwellings
A simple candlestick with small shade....
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 6:04PM
Nancy Drew
can you send me a picture of one for an example
   July 26, 2013 at 6:11PM
Nancy Drew
should I put a side table on the other end that does not have one
   July 26, 2013 at 6:27PM
abbyjean
IF you decide to put another end table by the bed, spice it up and try one that is not a part of your furniture family. Your lamps could match, but the tables actually look nicer sometimes if they do not. Make sure it is tall enough and see how you like that.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 7:13PM
Sustainable Dwellings
I agree with abbyjean... don't get too "matchy"... (I'm dickering with myself over whether to add another table in my enormous new MBR....)
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 8:46PM
abbyjean
I think one of us would feel left out if we did not have a table on our side of the bed!
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 8:49PM
Nancy Drew
I added some more photos
   July 26, 2013 at 8:57PM
abbyjean
That is a huge room! You are a lucky person!
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 9:02PM
Nancy Drew
I do plan on moving the computer in another room some day. what you suggest iput in its place
   July 26, 2013 at 9:05PM
abbyjean
You may want to move that tall chest that is over by the window to that wall.
   July 26, 2013 at 9:15PM
abbyjean
No room in your bathroom or closet for the hamper that is by the dresser?
1 Like   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 9:16PM
Nancy Drew
Do you mean move the tall chest closer to the window flushed against the wall
   July 26, 2013 at 9:45PM
Nancy Drew
I'll try and find some room in my closet for the hamper
1 Like   July 26, 2013 at 9:47PM
abbyjean
No, when you move the desk out, the tall chest can go there.
1 Like   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 9:48PM
abbyjean
Perfect if the hamper will fit in your closet. It takes away from your beautiful room.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 9:59PM
Nancy Drew
do I need to add more accessories on the long dresser. I removed the jar ,@the bowl looking thing
   July 26, 2013 at 10:19PM
abbyjean
Do you have a nice framed picture to put there? Family one? It would give a nice personal touch to the room.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 10:21PM
Nancy Drew
what style of phrame or color should I put the family picture in
   July 26, 2013 at 10:38PM
abbyjean
Some pretty pretty frame with a pop of color to be on the wooden dresser.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 26, 2013 at 10:45PM
Nancy Drew
good morning abbyjean. what color of panel do you thinkI should use for the window
   July 27, 2013 at 5:11AM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- It would be a good idea to find a piece of art for over the bed to help you with your other choices. Something light and airy since your pieces of furniture seem a little bit heavy. A long, narrow artwork or a series of 3, evenly spaced out over the headboard.

This example is the wrong shape but the colors are wonderful and would add a lot to your bedroom. This one has a little hit of the darks that would bring the color of your wood up onto the wall above your bed and give you so many choices for color accents in your bedroom and bathroom.

Soft blues are always good in a bedroom and with brown. For a more contemporary feel, try the softer lime greens.

Drapery panels should also coordinate with your artwork as well as accessories.

Develop the corner with the desk: add a cumfy chair/ottoman in a colorful print, floor lamp, small table, coordinating artwork, etc.

Above all, choose a color that you look good in!
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 27, 2013 at 5:40AM
Nancy Drew
Sandy. I see pink, yellow.purple. this would be ok though the comforter doesn't have those colors
   July 27, 2013 at 7:12AM
abbyjean
Good morning to you! I would love to see rust accents in the bedroom since you have them with towels in your bathroom. I think a pretty rust panel on each side of that window would be awesome!
1 Like   July 27, 2013 at 8:30AM
Nancy Drew
yes I agree. thank you abbyjean
1 Like   July 27, 2013 at 9:48AM
abbyjean
Have fun today.....are you playing with the rooms or enjoying a day off?
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 27, 2013 at 10:12AM
Nancy Drew
I have to plan on going shopping.
   July 27, 2013 at 10:33AM
abbyjean
Shopping is good! Fun way to spend a Saturday! Hope the list is not tooo long and overwhelming, though!
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 27, 2013 at 10:46AM
Nancy Drew
I have one more question. you think I should not put that bowl on the bathroom counter and just give it away. can you suggest something else for the bathroom counter or the arrangement on the counter is fine the way it is
   July 27, 2013 at 2:02PM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- I must be seeing a different comforter on this end. It looks like a solid brown one. As I mentioned before, if you want to add accent colors in your bedroom, it is a good idea to get an inspiration piece as a guide - an area rug, upholstery, a color you love, and go from there. The artwork above has a smattering of a version of brown in it plus other hues. The other hues are what you can safely choose from - like lt. blue, many greens, lavender, rose.

When choosing an accent color, choose from something that is more permanent in the room, like artwork, since it is more likely to stay longer than a comforter. You can also change out comforters easier than artwork.

When deciding on panels for the window, hang them from corner to corner, coming up to the window frame and ceiling to floor for a more luxurious look. Ikea has many to choose from at reasonable prices. If you keep them light in color, it will not break up that wall as much as darker panels will. Your furniture and bedding are all dark so you might want to lighten up the room with light colored drapery panels that blend with the wall color, and light colored accessories like accent pillows on the bed.

It is a good idea to wait on purchasing accessories for dresser tops, etc. until you have settled on the bigger purchases. You haven't decided on a palette yet have you?
1 Like   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 27, 2013 at 6:39PM
abbyjean
I thought that bowl had great possibilities for the bathroom. Did you try it there? Did YOU like it there?
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 27, 2013 at 7:56PM
Nancy Drew
Sandy:THE comforter has warm neutrals enlivened with shots of turquoise and coral
1 Like   July 27, 2013 at 9:46PM
Nancy Drew
Abby: it did look nice. It looked clutter. If you can try to zoom in. it seems like I have a little clutter going on, on the bathroom counter. if you have any other ideas, let me know.
   July 28, 2013 at 6:13AM
abbyjean
You are right.......that counter is plenty full in there. I would try to find room under the sinks in the cupboard area for things that are only used while getting ready for the day. The hand towels need to stay and the kleenex cover you have is ok, too. A cleaner look in there will help you feel just better about the whole area. IF you are not attached to that bowl and it does not work in another area of your home, it might be time to let it go.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 28, 2013 at 8:23AM
Nancy Drew
Abbyjean: thanks I will do that
   July 28, 2013 at 9:33AM
danals
Hi Nancy ! I too thought the comforter was a solid brown until I zoomed in on it! You could use the turquoise blue as an accent color in your bedroom and bath to lighten up the space a bit. Your furniture is gorgeous! I agree with other poster who suggested panels to frame your window. I would do them floor to ceiling. When you move your computer a nice light colored chair would be good in that space.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 28, 2013 at 9:42AM
abbyjean
That turquoise color would be NICE and then switch to that color for towels in your bathroom, too.
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 28, 2013 at 10:00AM
danals
here are some ideas maybe !
   Thanked by Nancy Drew    July 28, 2013 at 10:24AM
Nancy Drew
danals: thank you for the pictures. that does give me an idea
   July 28, 2013 at 10:29AM
Nancy Drew
Abbyjean: thank you for that turquoise idea
   July 28, 2013 at 10:31AM
Curtains???
Would you hang curtains in this room? It has an amazing...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Need Help with my Living Room
Hi I need help with the placement of the Couch and...
Kitchen dilemma!
I really want to create a seating area, with TV and...