Fireplace Makeover
alijah
Ugh! Mid century roman brick fireplace. help!!!
peaceseeker
Are you looking to change or keep?
July 26, 2013 at 6:21pm   
peaceseeker
I see your fireplace and I would want it to this one.
July 26, 2013 at 6:24pm   
Marc Russell Interiors
If your looking to keep it, and stay mid-century, it's a fairly easy make over.
July 26, 2013 at 6:27pm   
Reface the tile on the hearth and paint the brick for now - if your style is more eclectic select a camel tone - sw whole wheat comes to mind as a good option to test. If you like the rage for gray, it could be a warm gray. Keep it neutral but stay away from white to avoid the cottage thing. Pick stone for the hearth that is also neutral and all matching. Later you can reface with new / different stone once you have lived with it looking better
July 26, 2013 at 6:29pm      Thanked by alijah
howellmsue
Can we see a picture of the rest of the room to get an idea of your decorating style?
July 26, 2013 at 7:08pm   
oneofeleven
If you really hate it that much, you could reposition some furniture (sofa) in front of it or put a large three panelled screen in front of it. I have one with the Eiffel tower printed on it and it hides a very large treadmill quite nicely.
July 26, 2013 at 8:29pm      Thanked by alijah
nwduck
I don't think it's THAT bad, honestly. I would clean the brick (some people have suggested OxyClean) to see if the color changes somewhat. Switch the firescreen for something very simple. (Although the one you have is nice.) Find a great piece of dimensional metal art to stand on the hearth on the right hand side where your basket is. A rust/black/metallic piece could make this a focal point instead of the elephant in the room. Decorate on the mantel tying in the lower pieces with the top.
July 26, 2013 at 8:41pm      Thanked by alijah
houssaon
Too bad you hate it, I think it is quite unique! I would change the tiles to slate and paint the bricK if you have to, but get it cleaned. There should not be any soot on the face of the brick, so I would have the chimney checked. Make sure you open the flue all the way when you have a fire.

You could get a sleeker ceiling fan. That one looks heavy for the height of the walls. I would put a large colorful painting instead of the mirror. Locate the mirror where the is a window on the other side to reflect the light.
July 26, 2013 at 8:44pm        Thanked by alijah
nancy22032
Is it a true all masonry fireplace and chimney? Or is it a metal unit inside a box? If the latter, it is not a very big job to remove the whole thing, sheetrock the wall and it's gone. We did that a few years ago and it improved the living room 100%. Or if it's all masonry, you could have the hearth torn out, seal up the hole, fur out the rest of the wall to make it even with front of the brickwork, cover with sheetrock, and no more FP. If you have any money to spend, ask a builder is this is a feasible solution, and go ahead. It should be gone within a few days. I can't see how painting it would make much of an improvement. If you have no funds to invest now, stop looking at it and save your $$$ until you can afford to have it removed. Lots of luck!
July 26, 2013 at 8:48pm      Thanked by alijah
nancy22032
P.S. My son-in-law painted their ceiling fan to match the ceiling and it looks great!Took away that heavy look.
July 26, 2013 at 8:50pm   
Large gas ventless fireplace - makeover
Hi - our chicago condo (21st floor), northwest facing,...
Fireplace Gets a Natural Stone Makeover
Nothing says "home built in the 80" like a fireplace...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
I am buying a property with too much marble and stone
The kitchen is the worst part - granite counter tops...
Replacement windows experience? Pella, Simonton ??...
We bought a home in Tampa we love, but has single paned...
Pendants and chandelier (s) for remodeled kitchen and dining room?
We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and we need...
All the indoor wood trim in our house is oak. I hate oak!
We live in a traditional two story colonial (27 years...