Chels Bedroom
Chelslynnvt
Need help with Bedroom layout and where to hang pictures. Any advice is appreciated!

You might get a better idea of the layout if you search the original design dilemma post, "living room isn't flowing"
Chelslynnvt
Other arrangements I have done and some of the frames I have
July 26, 2013 at 7:07pm   
Chelslynnvt
Close up of existing fabrics in room and other arrangement options tried
July 26, 2013 at 7:11pm     
Natasha Assa
Chels, I like the "arch" with the larger frames, as was illustrated in the last photo.
July 26, 2013 at 7:12pm   
Chelslynnvt
more views
July 26, 2013 at 7:16pm   
abbyjean
Snap! There was a pic on your other thread last night or the night before of your bedroom and it just looked like YOU! When I saw it, I thought you maybe had finished the room and were just looking for something to put over the bed and had mentioned some plates to try there.
July 26, 2013 at 7:19pm     
trolauemicol
I love the colour palette you are going with. I think first thing you need to do is get the furniture placement nailed down. I thought you really liked the placement of the dresser to the left of the bed. Do you still have room for your night table to the right of the bed if the dresser is on the left?
July 26, 2013 at 7:20pm   
Natasha Assa
Chels, thank you for the close ups. Can I ask you something? What is the condition of the headboard? Is it removable from the bed frame? Reason I ask is that right now, when the dresser is on the same wall the contrast between the two styles is a little hectic, not eclectic. Dresser is country, shabby chic and headboard is traditional, formal, highly decorative. By removing the headboard (only if technically possible) you can soften the look and open up the space above the bed for a bit more decor. Right now it seems that there is too much going on.

Well, there is always the possibility of putting the dresser at the foot of the bed and returning the buffet to the LR, but I won't go into it anymore.
July 26, 2013 at 7:22pm   
Chelslynnvt
I feel like the colors on the bed just don't go together. It's too busy. The frame seems too dark for the light colored wood in the headboard and the Van G does go with the blue bedspread, but the VanG. doesn't go with anything else in the room.

I just love the cranberry color....I think it is so cheery and you lose that pop of color with the darker colors. Thoughts?
July 26, 2013 at 7:23pm   
trolauemicol
Another thought, could you steal the red shade and try it on other lamp base?
July 26, 2013 at 7:23pm   
Chelslynnvt
I love the headboard colors and fabric and would prefer design the room around it.
July 26, 2013 at 7:29pm     
abbyjean
THAT is the room I am talking about!!! I just feel like the blue goes with the picture, which I love with your dresser and lamp right there. There is some of the pillow color peeking out from the blue piece and that ties it all together. Just looked again and your pillow color is IN THAT pic, isn't it? And the pic just looks so nice with your paint color.
July 26, 2013 at 7:30pm     
abbyjean
When I see the close up of your headboard......that is beautiful and I understand your desire to decorate around it. LOVE how the trim goes with your wall color, too. I actually love gray and cranberry together. I am soooo sorry if you have already shown this, but what if you take the blue blanket off and put the pillow that is at the top of the picture in the bottom row above and put it in front of the two cranberry ones??
July 26, 2013 at 7:40pm     
Natasha Assa
Chels, in the pic with Van G the foot of the bed is wrapped in what, a linen sheet or a coverlet? The one we see vertically on the picture with soft wavy pattern? Is it a part of the sheet set? Reason I ask is cause I also see a couple of grey pillow cases which coordinate with your headboard fabric insert. If you could please put this same color sheets on the bed as those pillow cases, then we will get more grounded look for the h/b insert. It won't peak guiltily from behind the pillows, it would have other coordinating pieces to speak to. And that would calm the bed down. Once you achieve that effect, you can think about pops of cherry color in the spread and accent pillows. It's a little like we talked about having the same color hardwoods in your LR and DR.
July 26, 2013 at 7:45pm   
abbyjean
Wondering, too, if I could see the plates you were thinking of using in the room on the curved part of your headboard?
July 26, 2013 at 7:51pm   
Chelslynnvt
bedding update

The blue bedding you mentioned is a silk comforter from anthropology.

Realized yesterday that plates are in storage:(
July 26, 2013 at 8:08pm     
Natasha Assa
Nice! Any chance of having grey sheet set on the bed, without the wavy pattern?
July 26, 2013 at 8:10pm     
abbyjean
LOOK how those pillows go with your headboard!!! AND the lamp color is right there with the other pillows. Ta Da!
July 26, 2013 at 8:11pm     
Natasha Assa
Just to be clear, I am referring to the grey pillows, and if they are a part of the sheet set, could we see it on? Instead of the patterned one?
July 26, 2013 at 8:12pm   
abbyjean
Can the bedding be untucked at the bottom of the bed so the covering flows all the way to the floor?
July 26, 2013 at 8:12pm   
Natasha Assa
Chels, the pace of messaging must be hectic for you. Can you also put the rd patterned bolster pillow next to the lamp with red shade, so we can see and compare the intensity of both colors. If they are the same or very close, I think that bolster pillow might be a contender as an accent. But only after we settle on the grey sheet set, if you have one.
July 26, 2013 at 8:18pm   
abbyjean
You had a beautiful white vase tucked in to a corner of your dining room at one time. Would that work in the corner by your bed and your alarm clock go on the dresser by the lamp?
July 26, 2013 at 8:19pm     
Natasha Assa
@Maguire, still don't know your name, but you might be right, if the homeowner has a bit of glue she could probably find a nice piece of traditional "French" moldings in a specialized store and attach them to the dresser in place of the current "skirt" at the bottom. Much simpler project would be to look for some Paris inspired drawer handles, and finally to make some graphic application on the dresser with some French words, or indeed fleur de lis stencil. But it's not urgent, it can wait, something to consider.
July 26, 2013 at 8:38pm     
abbyjean
I am guessing you will not actually use a mirror over the dresser very much as most of that looking will be done in the bathroom. BUT I still think it is nice if there is a mirror with a dresser.......What about that white one.....the biggest one....that you had over a lamp a few pictures up. Could that go to the left of the red lamp? I know it is not HUGE, but it has such a nice look to it and it is WHITE. Looked at your room again and see that lil gray chair next to the table......what a fun area for your room! There is your gray on that wall and the table works perfectly right beside it.
July 26, 2013 at 8:38pm   
Natasha Assa
I mean the first name...
July 26, 2013 at 8:42pm   
abbyjean
Not a problem with the plates in storage......know what? Let that headboard stand on its own and show off all that detail! It is the star!
July 26, 2013 at 8:43pm     
Natasha Assa
I believe right now Joss & Main has a sale for bedroom pillows with custom initials. Not expensive at all.
July 26, 2013 at 8:48pm        Thanked by Chelslynnvt
abbyjean
Hi, Maguire! Bossy pants on for the kids.....love it!
July 26, 2013 at 8:51pm     
Natasha Assa
@Maguire, clicked on your name, see your info, but no other (first) name, link to the Coldwell Banker not working. Is there any difference for seeing it on Apple products?
July 26, 2013 at 8:52pm   
abbyjean
She told you her name is Dena.
July 26, 2013 at 8:53pm   
Natasha Assa
Dena? See, I thought you were a man! Glad I asked. Somehow your comments seemed like you were a male. But don't worry, I am a happily married heterosexual woman, not looking for anything or anyone other than design challenges.
July 26, 2013 at 8:55pm     
Natasha Assa
Uploading new posts is sometimes slow, I donno why, we have excellent Internet.
July 26, 2013 at 8:56pm   
Natasha Assa
OK, guys, I will leave you to it. Gotta get up early tomorrow, I am on the East Coast. Good luck, Chelsea, too, with bedroom design.
July 26, 2013 at 8:59pm   
Natasha Assa
@Dena, we are in NYC, so it's past midnight here. I was able to post last few days at night cause I can sleep a bit later. But tomorrow is an early call, so I better turn in. Well, good to meet you, after all! LOL!
July 26, 2013 at 9:17pm   
CDR Design
Hello. The room is looking fantastic! If you like the pink coverlet at the foot of the bed, place it there. Everybody has a different amount of color he or she likes in a room.

Above the bed, you need 3 small items to repeat the arch. I believe you have only 2 small frames. You could buy a third the same size. I would suggest painting them grey and then inserting a bold pink fabric in the center....... or find your 3 small plates.

Then, above the dresser you need something low. You could try the 2 mirrors, which would be sort of a fun play on having a "mirrror over a dresser".
July 27, 2013 at 4:06am   
bevballew
I cannot tell from the posts what set up you have but I don't like the dresser next to the bed but if you like it and don't care about the professional look then go for it. The very first post is nice. I would put the mirror that looks like a window above the dresser. I think you should have three pics above the bed all the same as the pic above with the monogrammed pillows. Those pics could have some of the cranberry color in it. The very first pic above that you first posted looks the best and has a nice professional look.
July 27, 2013 at 5:44am        Thanked by Chelslynnvt
Judit
My two pence: dresser next to the bed with the white lamp, mirror over it horizontally, group white frames on another wall, and apply full lenghts curtains, from ceiling to floor. I'd even pick a light blue for wall colour.
July 27, 2013 at 6:13am     
starbella
You have done great on budget! You could write your own idea book on how to decorate on a budget:)
July 27, 2013 at 6:25am   
CDR Design
I have a ricochet idea: If you place the 2 hexagon mirrrors low and next to each other over the dresser, then place large mirror on angled wall, the mirrors over the dresser will actually reflect the reflectiion in the mirror, which will be the bed.

......that is, if my angle math is correct!!!
July 27, 2013 at 6:30am        Thanked by Chelslynnvt
abbyjean
There is just something....pleasing......about using those smaller mirrors with that dresser on that wall. Placing that larger one on a different wall would be another touch in the room with the colors and the mirrors. So feminine!
July 27, 2013 at 8:27am     
abbyjean
I like the red bolster pillow on the gray chair......bringing that color over there. I was looking at the living room pics again and saw a smallish red candle on your shelves.......that would FIT on the little table by your chair. Put the white lamp on that small table and hang your certificate showing above low over that table. Maybe a plant? I love those and see you have a window for it. So there would be the lamp, the candle and a plant cuddled together and your certificate hung low enough to be a part of that, too. An I LOVE ME corner.
July 27, 2013 at 8:28am     
abbyjean
Slide the dresser over just enough to cover the outlet.....and that is fine that it sticks out THAT much from the wall.
July 27, 2013 at 9:20am     
CDR Design
flat plugs are avail at Lowes and Home Depot.
July 27, 2013 at 9:33am   
trolauemicol
Agree with abbeyjean re: headboard being decorative enough to stand on its own. There are no hard and fast rules saying you HAVE to have something over your bed. If you want the headboard to be the feature, don't bother with extras over top of bed. Go with your gut.

I'm a big believer in getting the function of the room sorted and making the bed the focal point in the room. Meaning bedroom is primarily for sleeping. Position bed so you see it first when walking in the room. Done, right ;). What else do you do in this room? Read? You want the lamp on the table or dresser (assuming you like the layout) on whatever side of the bed you sleep on. Room for alarm clock. Dresser. Is that just to store clothes or do you apply makeup here?

That said, the hutch is bothering me in your bedroom. It should be on display in dining room. I like the idea of using what you have but it's silly to have your clothes dresser out in the living room as a console (as an example). That would get tired going back and forth to get dressed in the mornings. Just consider where it makes the most sense.

Idea for your dresser. Paint it same white as headboard use trim as has been suggested ( you can get it at homedepot ) or even do a decorative paint treatment like pic below. You could even opt to paint the carcass the same as the headboard frame and then paint the drawer fronts a colour out of the headboard fabric. Simply swapping out the hardware with something a bit more decorative that is similar in feel to the headboard carvings could help
July 27, 2013 at 9:44am     
trolauemicol
Oh and saw this pic yesterday and thought of you
July 27, 2013 at 9:46am   
abbyjean
OK, so if the hutch leaves, what about that big white mirror there? Chels would totally use that when getting dressed each day. Would it be scary to sit up in bed and see yourself??? LOL I love that piece and it is the right color for the bedroom and I cannot think of another place for it. I can see the hutch working for BOOKS in the office and leaving the doors on it open for access to the books.
July 27, 2013 at 10:09am   
abbyjean
Still thinking......if the hutch goes to the office, so to speak.......what about the table and chair going to the foot of the bed and the mirror on that wall??? It is there in a pic above and it sure does fit! And room to dance in front of it!!!
July 27, 2013 at 10:10am   
CDR Design
She needs something to put tv on/in at end of bed. Plus, buffet nicely balances visual weight of bed.

Chels, as someone else suggested, can you switch the small table with the leaf table? Leaf table would be sidestand on right side of bed. You can try it both directions and see what you like better. Longer side could be on window wall.
July 27, 2013 at 10:31am     
papoodles
Chelsea, have you followed the houzz thread on "French Bedroom"
You might enjoy it.. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/560208/Need-help-for-my-French-Style-Bedroom
July 27, 2013 at 10:36am      Thanked by Chelslynnvt
abbyjean
OK! The tv fits in the buffet? Then that has to stay there and it truly does balance out that headboard!
July 27, 2013 at 10:44am     
papoodles
July 27, 2013 at 10:45am   
trolauemicol
Ahhh, I see. Need somewhere to put the tv. Just seems weird to put a hutch in the bedroom, but do understand where you are coming from in needing the weight of a big piece. I wonder if she could accomplish this same feeling placing the van g on wall opposite the bed with the chair and side table in front of it?

Like the idea of the hutch in the office rather than the bedroom. IMHO.
July 27, 2013 at 10:52am   
trolauemicol
Oops. That still doesn't give her a place for dastardly tv. :/
July 27, 2013 at 10:53am   
abbyjean
I know.....I would love that picture in that room, too. I just feel like the hutch and that mirror with the hutch door patterns HAVE to be together. I can totally see that mirror over the dresser, where it has been more than once. LOL Maybe the pic can go on the side of the bed, by the window???
July 27, 2013 at 10:59am   
CDR Design
Yes, art and chair and table would balance. The chair may be more useful for her near the closet.....just guessing....place to sit and put on shoes.

I am sure Chels will chime in. I just know, at one point, she said she wanted a place to put the tv.

I think the buffet looks beautiful there, but it could also fit in the office. Wow, people like moving around that buffet!
July 27, 2013 at 11:01am     
Hi all, just wanted to say, hi and it is soooo beautiful here in Saint Louis today, that I am going back outside. Perhaps you guys could use some outdoor time;) Happy Saturday- Margo
July 27, 2013 at 11:02am     
abbyjean
We set a record for lows last night and today is another COOLER JULY day and my hubby is expecting help out in the yard. I love yard work....really! And might I say....I also love St. Louis and have been there to visit that ARCH! Enjoy the day and hope the kids are still around!
July 27, 2013 at 11:04am   
CDR Design
Possible locations for diamond mirror: above buffet, left of window or above desk/chair arrangement.
July 27, 2013 at 11:06am   
trolauemicol
East coast Canada here. Grey skies.. Is it bad to say I'm relieved? Humidity has been disgusting here. Haven't experienced anything like it since we lived in Ottawa.

Could well do the hutch and the mirror with diamond pattern in the office as baby jean suggested. At any rate, must take leave and get MY sewing project done ;). Cheers, everyone
July 27, 2013 at 11:25am   
papoodles
Glad to be of help, Maguire:-) I know that chalk paint is expensive, but it is soo easy to use and the result is wonderful.
There is an antique shop here in Northern New Jersey( Sweet Pea) that has the most wonderful pieces done up in the paint, have a look for some inspiration.The link here is for a gray and white dresser that I have been coveting,but it wouldn't fit anywhere in my house. bummer.There are also DIY instructions for homemade( cheap) chalk paint, or, as you mentioned, the Martha Stewart line.I didn't know about it..Many options! http://www.sweetpeasantiques.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_2185-600x800.jpg
July 27, 2013 at 1:12pm        Thanked by Chelslynnvt
abbyjean
How funny.......before Abby was born in December that year, we had a stocking up that just said BABY on it. After she was born, it worked to just rearrange those letters.
July 27, 2013 at 1:32pm     
Chelslynnvt
updates - I raised the curtain rod. The sheers look okay when they are pulled together, but i'm not sure if I raised them too high.

I took the rings off the mirror so that I can hang it either direction.
July 27, 2013 at 1:41pm     
papoodles
Hahahaha, Maguire, that is too funny....no, I don’t work at all anymore, just get to have fun And I have fun dragging my husband up to Sweet Pea..he’s game as long as I invite him for lunch..
My decorating style is more Betsy Speert, and I love love love Bunny Williams.Check Betsy’ site for some chalk painted pieces.
Chelsey..I think that the big dark mirror over the dresser takes away from the bed being the focal point..you need something lighter and more graceful there? I like the sheers..
July 27, 2013 at 1:58pm      Thanked by Chelslynnvt
CDR Design
I agree with papoodles. The bed is the focal point and anything higher than it will take away.

I would suggest these 2 hexagon mirrors above the dresser, with an arched configuration (of some sort) over the bed. Large mirror on angled wall so that dresser is actually reflecting the bed when ricocheted.
http://st.houzz.com/simgs/3872cd4c01f3276e_7-9845/home-design.jpg
July 27, 2013 at 2:02pm        Thanked by Chelslynnvt
houssaon
Love the pink in this room. About the sheers, they do look better closed. I would get a plain roller shade for under them for more light control. Maybe they will look better open, if you move the knobs up and closer to the window and drape the curtains so that they are almost closed at the top.

One other thing. I love the headboard and would not hide it with propped up pillows. Stack the two flat or one flat and the other at an angle.
July 27, 2013 at 2:09pm     
Chelslynnvt
Hey everybody! I'm here, I was just working all morning. Raised drapes in bedroom, lowered dr chandelier, painted bookcases white and added poly-urethane. Put lighter desk back together and put into office. laundry....tried pictures to left of window.

-Over bed, at this point I prefer nothing there
-like idea of frenching up buffet
- I have moved the buffet more than any piece of furniture in my life! ha ha its okay
-Tv does fit in buffet, but something still seems odd about this piece. Not sure if its color....(won't fit in dr and i like bookcases in lr)
-Dresser is just for clothes storage, not for make-up
-I sleep on the side furthest from the window so I like the alarm clock on that side too.
-if I put hutch and the mirror with diamond pattern in the office, I would still have book cases to put those bookcases somewhere.
-trolauemicol - that bedroom you posted is in my ideabook:)
-Like the monogram pillow idea
-I would like to do 2 rows in bed room. sheers and drapes, but not sure on color/print of drapes.

Didn't understan "There is just something....pleasing......about using those smaller mirrors with that dresser on that wall. Placing that larger one on a different wall would be another touch in the room with the colors and the mirrors. So feminine!?"
July 27, 2013 at 2:29pm   
Chelslynnvt
Options for side table:
Don't know if you can tell because I didn't close the blinds, but I put the sheers together at the top. Do you still think I should raise tiebacks?
July 27, 2013 at 3:07pm     
Chelslynnvt
mirror options for next to chair
July 27, 2013 at 3:08pm   
Chelslynnvt
octagon side table tried with chair and octagon mirrors over dresser. Smaller table tried with Van G.
July 27, 2013 at 3:11pm     
Chelslynnvt
Yes I removed the hem from the sheers so they do touch ground (or right above ground)

Is otto = octagon?

Haha regarding last coment.
July 27, 2013 at 3:51pm   
Chelslynnvt
what color for the drapes in my room? What about a light gray with a hint of blue....like a light slate blue the color of my chair?
July 27, 2013 at 4:18pm   
trolauemicol
Holy cow! Come do my place next please. Lol. I have many ideas just not enough drive to do what you have accomplished!

I'd leave the sheers to hang straight with a room darkening roller shade behind. If you want to add some fabric to the window treatment consider stationary drapes. Essentially they are look at treatments. They don't function for any other purpose than to look pretty :)

I like the van g painting there but it needs to be a bit higher. Maybe somewhere so that the middle of the pic top to bottom is at same spot as top of grey chair. Could still leave tall white mirror leaning against wall by chair I think same wall as window

Really like the pics stacked one over other on wall to left of window. Agree with you you don't need a thing over the bed, really like the red shade on that lamp base. I like the two smaller mirrors arranged so they are staggered height but centred over dresser. Really think what's throwing that wall is the fact the dresser is cream and wood of headboard is bright white!

Like the octagon table next to the chair

This room seems to be easier to put together. I hope you are getting help moving that hutch... It's done it's fair share of traveling in last month :p. can I ask? Is it a family piece or just a great find?
July 27, 2013 at 5:04pm   
trolauemicol
Check bed bath and beyond, you can get a dust ruffle to finish off the look of your bed and they sometimes have pretty decent drapes at a fair price point.

Other option is Van Gogh painting back over dresser, but not resting on top of it, then stager the octagon mirrors next to grey chair?
July 27, 2013 at 5:08pm   
trolauemicol
@abbyjean. My iPad keeps correcting your name to baby jean. Sorry about that!
July 27, 2013 at 6:21pm   
CDR Design
Side table by bed: I like the dropleaf one there. (The small you had there got lost. )

Pink lamp: can you put the pink lamp on the right side stand?.It is dominating the mirrors. Then put white lamp on dresser. No lamp next to chair.

Canvas floral art over chair and table (not the one you have there---the other one).

Pictures to left of drapes. I would remove them. it is just getting to be to many pictures.

Mirrors over dresser: just put them side by side, not one at an angle from the other.

Drapes: for phase 1, pin them in the center at top and leave them be.

Large mirror: hang on angled wall.

Shams: I would do the pink only. Bedding today is all about simplicity. Also, gray shams are too large for the bed. If you do decide to use them, you can tuck them under and pin them.

Youv;e been working hard!!!
July 27, 2013 at 6:50pm   
CDR Design
Just a thought....I know you don't want anything above your bed and I know you are one a budget, but .......I thought you could make the bed/dresser entire wall a focal point by doing something cohesive. First would go over dresser. Second would go over bed.

Something to think about.
http://www.kirklands.com/product/Wall-Decor/Mirrors/Acrylic-Blooms-Mirror-Set-of-3/pc/2283/c/0/sc/2306/167470.uts
http://www.kirklands.com/product/Wall-Decor/Mirrors/Concave-Circles-Wall-Mirror-31-in/pc/2283/c/0/sc/2306/168155.uts
July 27, 2013 at 7:14pm   
abbyjean
chels, that was my statement that confused you....sorry! I think I confuse white frames with nothing in them with mirrors and then some with pics, too.....so I got my white frames confused. We shall move on and never mind my senior moment and frames. I was seeing white frames in your room with your white headboard and thought that was a feminine look.
BUT this is what I see that I like.........in your busy world.....I like the two small silver ones with the dresser....the silver and your gray headboard are a great match. I love that tall white mirror on the slanted wall........nice fit there and can be used, too. I like the white table by the bed that WAS by the chair with the two white pics over it. NOTHING over your bed and those pics totally work on that wall with the white table there. MAYBE the white lamp by the bed and the red by the chair? White sheers in the bedroom are the best!
July 27, 2013 at 7:45pm     
abbyjean
What a great idea to take the hem out of the sheers to make the length work. That is what we LOVE about you!
July 27, 2013 at 8:04pm     
abbyjean
Since i know your tv works in that buffet/hutch, I think it really can stay right where it is at the foot of your bed. It goes with the....feel.....you have started in that room. I may need to give up on having the gridwork piece in there as I cannot see where it would go.....and the same with that painting. Shucks.
July 27, 2013 at 8:05pm   
CDR Design
The Kirkland's mirrors I posted....was really just an idea down the road of how you could bring the dresser and headboard areas together, yet still have the headboard as the focal point. They wouldn't necessarily have to be mirrors.

I don't think I explained my intentions very well. Sorry about that.
July 28, 2013 at 3:33am     
Chelslynnvt
Serious question, please be honest:

Did bedroom look better before? I know I was trying to make the buffet work, but I do t want to use it if it is better to not have it in the room. I am no a decorator, but very OCD and something just seems off. The octagon table feels to big for the space. There seems to be clutter with the buffet, dresser, and chair. The drop leaf table corner feels very tight. I know everyone is working with what I have, but if a piece doesn't work, it just doesn't. You won't hurt my feelings I just want your honest professional opinion about the layout, what works and what doesn't.

These are the 2 pices that must stay in the room

Bed- off centered or centered?
Dresser- end of bed or beside table?
July 28, 2013 at 9:44am     
Chelslynnvt
Original
July 28, 2013 at 9:47am   
Chelslynnvt
Now
July 28, 2013 at 9:48am     
abbyjean
I personally like the three big pieces in your room, right where they are. I worried about the octo table taking up too much floor space with the chair and did like that drop one there......gave the chair a table and no floor space gone. Maybe nothing in that wall corner and just use the dresser as an end table, which I really like right by your closet, which is where I feel a dresser belongs. I like how the piece at the end of your bed balances your headboard and it is also a functional piece for you. I also like that big mirror behind the door. Maybe not use any mirrors over the dresser since they would only be for looks and enough mirros in the room. There was something about your picture over that dresser that caught my eye. I know the frame is dark, but I am ok with the colors in it working with your room and it was a splash of color there. The lamp worked with it, too. I love the two pics on the wall to the left of the window and I love the simplicity of sheers there.
July 28, 2013 at 9:53am   
abbyjean
Just looking at your pics again and wondering how that flower pic would work with the dresser......it is a nice one, too. It is the one with the dresser and the tv, but if it was lower with the dresser and a lamp right there.......or maybe that flower one would work by the chair over the drop leaf table????
July 28, 2013 at 9:58am     
CDR Design
Chels.....I think it looks good either way. If you like things centered, put the bed back in the center.

The idea of moving the bed towards the window was to give you more room. I you wont' use the chair anyway, you feel it is off-balance, then by all means, move things back how they were.

Sometimes it is hard to get a clear picture of the room from photos.
July 28, 2013 at 10:21am     
Chelslynnvt
In decorating terms what is the best place for a bed?

I always say I like feng shui, but don't really know much about the term. I just,like balance and know it is supposed to have a calming effect and help you sleep better and that's what I want.
July 28, 2013 at 10:49am   
CDR Design
I would put your bed back in the center. I think for looks, the best place is in the center. Some people like symmetry and I am sensing you do.

If you don't put it back in the center, you will forever walk in that room and feel unbalanced. There is absolutely nothing wrong with thinking that way!
July 28, 2013 at 11:12am      Thanked by Chelslynnvt
trolauemicol
I think your room is too small for the buffet to be in there. Before we had a house we lived in a good sized apartment in the city which actually reads as small bedrooms. At the end of a busy day where you are surrounded by noise and constant movement, isn't it nice to go home and be still in an uncluttered space. Bedroom your size = bed, bedside table, dresser, full length mirror to check out your outfit, chair to put your shoes on.

I know nothing about fend shui.
July 28, 2013 at 11:17am     
trolauemicol
Check this out chels. No need to be moving furniture around ;)
http://www.urbanbarn.com/Room-Planner

It might help if you laid out the dimensions of the room on graph paper so your hours 'helpers' can make better suggestions. When I designed my kitchen I laid everything out on graph paper. It allowed me to see how much space I had around the island to walk. I went as far as drawing to scale blocks roughly the size of my dining room furniture to see how they would fit if I put an island in. Like you , I need to see how things will look in place. Really think it might help people help you better if we get a better appreciation of the sizes of your furniture and the size of the room
July 28, 2013 at 11:27am   
trolauemicol
Stupid auto correct hours is HOUZZ
July 28, 2013 at 11:28am   
Chelslynnvt
Thanks everyone!!!! You all said what I was thinking.
July 28, 2013 at 11:35am   
CDR Design
As a third choice, you could leave your bed near the window (as it is), but move the dresser back to original spot (across from bed).

Then you could place 2 equal sidestands by the bed.

I think what is really bothering you is that large dresser on one side and the small sidestand on the other side. That is understandable.

Then, you could place the chair on the same wall as the bed (but in corner by the door to closet).

Could you then place buffet on wall to the left of closet?
July 28, 2013 at 11:36am   
trolauemicol
Problem with centering bed on wall you currently have it on is you then have no room for the dresser which forces you to put it on the wall opposite bed, but judging by the pictures that would mean the dresser would be over to the left and not lined up with the bed when you were laying in bed. Would that bother you?

You could leave bed over to the side where you have it now with night table to right of bed. Dresser opposite be on facing wall. Move long rectangular mirror and chair over by closet. Unless I'm totally missing where closet and entry are, in which case -- sorry.
July 28, 2013 at 11:55am   
Chelslynnvt
papoodles- love the link to the dresser you have been coveting - do you know what color the used?
July 28, 2013 at 12:10pm   
Chelslynnvt
Dresser
July 28, 2013 at 12:12pm     
abbyjean
One more opinion to throw you off......since you do not NEED both sides of the bed open for use, I feel like it makes more sense off centered and frees up the floor by your closet.....no need for the floor space in front of the window. You have room to move there to make your bed and then the item at the foot of your bed is still away from the door, too. Again, I like the dresser near the closet and wonder if it could switch places with the chair......would that make you feel better?
July 28, 2013 at 12:34pm   
papoodles
Chelsey.I think that it is "Paris Gray" I'll call them tomorrow for you:-)
July 28, 2013 at 12:35pm   
abbyjean
The tv did look fine on the dresser at the foot of your bed. The octo table could be a night stand as it is out of the way then and we know the gray chair looks nice with it. Does the buffet fit by the closet?
July 28, 2013 at 12:36pm   
papoodles
Maguire..I am, because I love the pieces that my sister had painted-they are exceptionally lovely, so much so, that I will be painingt my bedroom nightstands soon.
July 28, 2013 at 12:39pm   
papoodles
Oh you might be right, Maguire..it could be Paloma..I was just guessing off the top of my head.I will confirm.
July 28, 2013 at 12:47pm   
Creative Consults- By Crystal Lowther
I like it the way it is in the most recent photos! I think you are done! :D
July 28, 2013 at 10:15pm   
LB Interiors
Looks nice! Maybe the magnolia art above the chair and table to bring more color to the space.
July 29, 2013 at 2:13am   
bevballew
If you don't center the bed have you tried the chair and lamp table where you had the dresser when it was next to the bed? Will the dresser or tall cabinet work where you had the chair?
July 31, 2013 at 5:38pm   
bevballew
Have you tried the bed on the window wall?
July 31, 2013 at 5:41pm   
What a fun transformation this was to watch. (Just found it.) Hope all is well Chels. Such a cute room.
May 9, 2014 at 2:34pm   
CDR Design
Emily, you are right. Chels did a great job transforming the room. I love your enthusiasm, Chels!
May 9, 2014 at 2:59pm   
Christina Lynn
I'm re-visiting for updates and it looks great! Love the tiebacks with the sheers : )
July 2, 2014 at 11:32am   
Need help with color
My living room walls are currently a boring off white....
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
Planting ideas for the front of the old barn wall?
We don't want to hide the wall but it looks bare w...
Loft Warehouse Conversion Financing Questions
Hi, I am looking to create an industrial loft space...