Designing Kitchen for New House
Deb
My husband and I are building a small ranch (downsizing). We are at the beginning stages of laying out the kitchen. I've attached to pictures from the cabinet company and I'm looking for feedback. I do plan on adding small paned windows to the top cabinets of the pantry. The door is for access to the grilling deck and the bench will have a table and chairs. To the right of the bench is the living room, so the house is open. I want to do it right this time and be practical but stylish. Thanks.
Deb
I do also plan on going with a dark rich brown countertop for all surfaces and a darker wood floor.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 3:33AM
It would be useful to have a floor plan to see how the kitchen relates to the rest of the space. Right now I'm a bit confused by the blank wall to the right of the pantry, and by how your dining lays out. Will there be a regular dining table and chairs opposite the island? If so, it appears it will be right next to the bench eating area which itself seems uncommonly large.

The kitchen layout itself looks great: nice work triangle, plenty of space and storage, and a pantry to die for!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 4:53AM
gduplessis
What cabinet company are you using? We are redoing our kitchen, but am overwhelmed with all the cabinet choices.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 4:56AM
Personally I am not a big fan of angled cabinets or island no matter how the kitchen relates to rest of the room.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 10:22AM
Brenda
I don't like having a cooktop on an island with bar stools, but that's a personal preference thing -- if you have had it that way before and it doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Other than that, I think your kitchen looks like it will be beautiful and functional.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 10:33AM
sstarr93
The layout is good, although pretty ordinary (nothing wrong with that necessarily); my comments are on the island.

1. I think you should not embed a range in the island in this way. It looks crowded on the cooking side, and it will have crevices for food to fall down. It would be far better in my opinion, to use a cooktop, and to install one or more wall ovens in the "pantry" wall.

2. As others have said, what is driving the crescent-shaped island? The angled cabinets make the space look cramped.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 10:46AM
sstarr93
One more comment: I would remove the wall cabinet that is between the sink window and the door. The space would be visually much more open and airy.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 10:48AM
Jenny Youngblood
Alright, you can't have the cooktop in the island without proper ventilation as it is a fire hazard, so unless you are comfortable with having a range hood pop right down in the middle of your ceiling above that, you will have to change the location of the range. A quick and easy fix would be to put the sink and dishwasher in the island and the range with a microhood (microwave with ventilation hood--> very common at appliance stores). I don't mind angled islands as long as it promotes natural flow and isn't just staring at a wall. I typically find the island should be viewing something pleasing like a fireplace wall, seating area or television wall (my favorite) as I love watching TV while I prep dinner.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 10:50AM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
How is the cooking surface going o be ventilated? I am with Dytecture, the angle island with range appears to problematic, but as previous poster requested, a floor plan would be helpful.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 10:55AM
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
I second the angle comment.. for some interest play with depth / height of the upper cabinetry add some wire mesh / glass to select doors / break up the pantry a bit and remove that right open area... I'm sure a hood will add to this whole design.. or is it a downdraft you are using (downdrafts are not the best).
Personally I think I would see how moving the stove to the ref. wall and the ref. to the pantry side would look, think that could give you a better focal wall and the island can be fully utilized as prep and seating. Don't be afraid to experiment and have fun.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 11:00AM
Kitchen Design Alchemy
Whenever there are corners or angles in a work space, such as a kitchen, the function is lessened. You appear to have a decent amount of room in the kitchen space and creating an angled island is dramatically hampering the work and storage areas. You can see what angles do to the cabinet storage (the cabinets to the left and right of the slide-in range are very small and would be difficult to store most anything related to that zone. I would straighten out that island to provide better work space and storage lengthening it into the dining as far as feasible.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 11:03AM
Deb
I do like the range in the island. I currently have that and it works well when I'm entertaining or watching the food network. I am getting the feeling that the angle island isn't a wise decision. I just emailed our cabinet guy and asked him to do another layout with a straight island. I did previously have just a cooktop in the island, but when I put the oven by the refrigerator, it was way too much stainless steel together for me. Keep the comments coming, sometimes we get in a rut and don't see the other options available.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 12:25PM
Deb
Here are the floor plans with a few from the left and a view from the right of the kitchen.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 12:29PM
Deb
to the right of the living room is a 3 season porch.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 12:30PM
Holly Hubbard Edginton
I would change the island, angled like that you are looking directly at bedroom 2 when using the cook top.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 4:25PM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
A rectangular island will provide more storage space, more counter space and minimize the "drip distance" between the stove top and sink.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 4:53PM
mkmort
Someone else had this design and they want to remove it because it made them feel boxed in when they are standing there. I think it was their sink though.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 5:14PM
Alaina GymboGap
How big is the kitchen/dining space?
    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 6:23PM
mikemac99
I love this, but only one thing, switch the sink and the stove. You want people to be able to walk around and place their plates on the counter while eating, yet you don't want them burning their arm off! Haha!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Deb    July 27, 2013 at 6:55PM
Small house design required for new development
Hi we have land of 1500square feet . We would like...
radhikadatla
Need Help with Kitchen Design for New House
We need help with our kitchen design. We love the...
nnishiguchi
Need help with designing kitchen for new modern house in Rincon, PR.
Kitchen, dining, living on one floor. Kitchen area...
sapirm
'60's house - designing NEW kitchen
Our house was built in '61. We are preparing to gut...
debradufford
Need design ideas for our new house- kitchen/family room!
Our new house needs some help! I'm getting the entire...
katiercouch
bathroom faucets dilemma
Thanks in advance for guidance. Maybe too many...
shawncostello
Bedroom/Bathroom Redecorate ideas Needed!
Need to paint bedroom and bathroom....want to use leopard...
maryb56
What should I put above our bed
Hi! I have finally pulled together (almost done) our...
mrs_blairgiles
Please help!
I really need help with my entrance, sunken living...
sarahdallan
Photos to ideabook
Just spent hours going thru thousands of photos, saving...
briangott