I have a built in bar badly in need of an update. Ideas please.
shoediva1803
July 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This bar in original to a Georgian Colonial built in 1938. Any and all suggestions for an update are appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi shoediva1803! Do you want to keep it as a bar?

Lyvonne
July 27, 2013 at 7:05PM   
Kelsea Rippy
I would start by refacing the cabinets and taking the mirrors out. I'd do a tile in an accent tile along the back with shelves on both sides. Then you could hang a mirror in the center to still make it seem open and add some recessed lighting inside? Something similar to this would be great
July 27, 2013 at 8:03PM     
dougiedanger
A 1938 bar. Many would kill for that. Why not tone down the mirrors, add some glass shelves and stock them with classic bottles of spirits. Some under shelf lighting would complete the look. On the cupboards perhaps a darker faux finish or stain would make the '38 look complete.
July 27, 2013 at 8:16PM     
marci4
I agree with dougiedanger. It's a very cool feature and should be played up appropriately.

I would tone down the mirrors but not lose them completely. It looks like the counter is linoleum (?). Perhaps replace that with a piece of marble or granite, and carry that up the back wall, and keep the mirrors on the sides. Install some spot lighting to highlight items you place on the shelves. The glass shelves look rather tiny. Perhaps a glazier can cut some larger ones for you?

Crate and Barrel carries many of the accoutrements necessary for a well-stocked bar. Stock the shelves with some nice martini and highball glasses. There is also the "Gatsby" line of ice buckets and bar tools that would go perfectly in that space. You can then go to your local beverage discounter (Binny's, BevMo) and they will help set you up with the basics. Adjust the spot lights on the bottles and glasses, and invite your friends over for a cocktail!

Gatsby Ice Bucket:
July 27, 2013 at 9:07PM   
shoediva1803
Thank you for the ideas! I definitely want to keep it as a bar.
July 27, 2013 at 10:24PM