Kitchen color options
bogdon0607
Hi everyone. We just moved into our new house (60's ranch style) and are making some color updates. The kitchen is mostly updated but we would like to paint the cabinets and walls. The area opens up to the living room so we are thinking of doing the walls in BM revere pewter like the living room and the cabinets in BM white dove to match the brick wall/fireplace I painted last weekend. What are your thoughts? Any opinions/ideas welcome! Bad color choices? Will they not match the existing counter tops?

We just got married and moved from apartment living so will be getting all new furniture.

Thanks for any help!
marci4
You may want to set up an Ideabook for your kitchen. Keep an eye out/search for pictures of kitchens with color combinations that appeal to you.

It is also my understanding that painting cabinets is a much more involved undertaking than painting walls. The boxes look to be in good condition, so you may want to consider refacing the cabinets or hiring a professional to repaint or restain them. I also wouldn't necessarily keep the counter tops and back splash if they did not mesh with my preferred cabinet and wall finish. This may require a longer timeline to plump up the budget.

I have to say, looking closely at your pictures, the most objectionable thing about the kitchen is the wall color. That yellow does nothing for the cabinets. You may want to try something in the light taupe family. Here is BM Smokey Taupe (983). You can upload your pictures to the BM website (or to the SW one) and test some colors out there. Good luck!

P.S. I would also take out that cabinet on the far wall. That, and the yellow, really "age" the space.
1 Like   Thanked by bogdon0607    July 27, 2013 at 11:05AM
mountie
I agree that the kitchen just needs a new paint color. The cabinets, backsplash, and countertops work well together. Maybe update the cabinet hardware to something more interesting than just knobs! A shade of taupe (light or dark) would be nice.
1 Like   Thanked by bogdon0607    July 27, 2013 at 11:24AM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I would like to suggest you start with painting the walls. Painting cabinets is a lot of work, see how you feel after the wall color has been changed before you under take the cabinetry. I concur with Mountie with respect to the hardware. Consider a pull with a decorative back plate so that the hole from the knob is covered. Check out options from Top Knobs.
1 Like   Thanked by bogdon0607    July 27, 2013 at 11:37AM
You do not a lot of wall so you can do something a little more striking, IMO. I would, as suggested, leave the cabinet color and go with a brown that is in your counters. Ben Moore suggests Mink as a coordinate to Revere Pewter.

I think I have your granite...I used BM Alexandria Beige which is a brown, but it might be too pinky for the Revere Pewter.
   July 27, 2013 at 11:37AM
bogdon0607
Thanks so much! We absolutely hate the yellow walls and that cabinet on the far wall is definitely coming down. Previous owners did update the kitchen counters and backsplash recently so it doesn't look bad, just not our colors or style. We don't have it in our budget to make those changes now so just looking at paint for now.

I've done some research on painting the cabinets and can see how difficult it can be. They are more taupe with antique finish right now which clashes with making the home modern.

The reason we wanted to paint the walls the same as living room is because it opens to there and may create some cohesion/flow.

The taupe looks nice so will look into that, thanks! Attached is the white brick fireplace in the living room so will check if it looks good with that. The back of the bookshelves and the trim need to be painted so thinking of colors there also.
   July 27, 2013 at 11:37AM
marci4
Actually, I like contrasting color in the back of bookcase, and would keep it a bright color. The trim and the shelves can be painted the same color as the brick.

Don't feel that you have to paint the kitchen the same color as the living room. It will flow if the colors are of similar tint levels, so you want a shade that will work with the cabinets and counters.

It sounds like you are going with your current cabinets for the time being. I think you will find that the right paint and new pulls will make them much more tolerable until the day that you make larger changes.

Please post pictures when you paint the kitchen!
1 Like   July 28, 2013 at 8:55AM
life4real
I love your cabinets. they look like they are maple with a wash. Is that correct?
   Thanked by bogdon0607    July 28, 2013 at 12:01PM
bogdon0607
To those who helped out, wanted to say thank you and that we took your paint color suggestions into account and choose Smokey Taupe! We also changed out the hardware and removed the built in shelf. We are happy with the changes and will hold off on painting the cabinets for now. I also think it would be nice to add a cute light fixture above the sink instead of having the existing inset light. Now I will be looking for a table and chairs/bench for the breakfast area.
4 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 8:40PM
bogdon0607
Forgot to mention that we would like to get all new doors so haven't bothered painting them yet. We've only painted the trim for now which I then realized might have to change with the doors anyways. Yay for wasting time!
   October 14, 2013 at 8:42PM
marci4
Wow!! It looks great! I love the hardware you chose! The space looks really put together now.

I just showed my husband the pictures, and he said: Great, you can make a decision about someone else's house, but not ours.

Sigh.
   Thanked by bogdon0607    October 15, 2013 at 6:48PM
Ann
It looks fantastic. I like the sink light as is. I think I'd save for a stainless counter depth frig next. It looks like all the other appliances are stainless.
   Thanked by bogdon0607    October 15, 2013 at 6:57PM
bogdon0607
Yes Ann, the previous owners left us the fridge. Great to not have to spend the money on a new one right away! We will be on the lookout for a good deal closer to Christmas.

Thanks marci4! We did try out a few other paint colors and settled on the smokey taupe. My husband told me I should definitely hop back on here and say thank you for the suggestions ;)
2 Likes   October 15, 2013 at 8:31PM
fordjm1
Great update! Where did you get your kitchen mats from? They fit into the space so well.
   Thanked by bogdon0607    October 15, 2013 at 9:34PM
bogdon0607
Thanks fordjm1 - I've actually had those mats for years and they just happen to fit the kitchen really well. I think I purchased them at Kohls about 2-3 years ago.
   October 16, 2013 at 8:19AM
rustoleumtransformations.com might help with cabinets.
   October 16, 2013 at 9:46AM
Quality of Apt 2b Fillmore sofa?
Moving into a new apt soon. Liking the look of the...
What should we do with this outdated fireplace?
There are so many options out there but we're looking...
My new 'grey' carpet reads VERY blue. Need some advice :)
Hello Houzz friends. My new carpet looks very blue...