Need paint color advice
wallgate
My house is a 1970's ranch. I want to update the fireplace with paint and the wood ceiling as well to lighten the room.
I would paint all your woodwork and the fireplace BM White Dove. I would paint the walls BM Seapearl in a matte finish. I would leave the ceiling the natural color.

I strongly suggest lighter furniture and great throw pillows for some color.
Rust Animalia Jute Throw Pillow
Linen Twill Orange Throw
1 Like   Thanked by wallgate    July 27, 2013 at 12:31PM
smdrovetto
DO NOT EVER PAINT A FIREPLACE!! You can use a wash that will give the fireplace a "Cape Cod" look.

Brick is pouros, and if you put a heavy layer of paint, they will retain heat. It's probably not a danger, but may change the finish.

Even if you don't like the brick, it stil has texture, color variation, etc. When you paint with regular paint, it just looks like a blob. And if you don't like it, changing it is a nightmare.

I just told another Houzzer fireplace problems are THE most common design challenges on the site.
I'll send a couple of discussion titles that have examples of washes
0 Likes   July 27, 2013 at 3:31PM
wallgate
Thank you for this idea! I did not know what a color wash was but I googled it and definitely like that look!
0 Likes   July 27, 2013 at 4:17PM
I've had several painted fireplaces that I loved. Washing is another great technique - both are perfectly viable options though many have very definite opinions about them. Judyg gave you some terrific advice that she wouldn't be one iota concerned about you washing the brick instead of painting - part of the value of Houzz is the ability to gather a lot of advice and take in what suits you the best.
1 Like   July 27, 2013 at 4:56PM
smdrovetto
Thanks libradesigneye!

It wasn't my intention to diminish her contribution, although that's what my comment did. I think JudyG's input was valuable. Thank you for calling that to my attention. Sorry, JudyG!

I do feel strongly about paint, because if one is not experienced with DIY and painting, a fireplace, especially, it can be a disaster that's very hard, and expensive to fix.

I think retailers make painting seem so easy, and fun, that inexperienced DIY'ers are not prepared for how tricky, and much more expensive it can be. Just the endless supplies, not counting the paint, cost a lot of money.

I have painting stories from when I was inexperienced........including, but not limited to, causing blue flames to shoot out of the burners of the old stove in our "new" house!

But thanks so much. I will shut-up my mouth more.
1 Like   July 27, 2013 at 8:52PM
wallgate
Thank you, judyg ,smdrovetto and libradesigneye ! I value all your opinions! I appreciate the color suggestion, judyg! I do love the colors! And thank you for the thoughts about painting, smdrovetto! Fortunately I have extra brick to experiment on before I do this fireplace! This is why I love this site because it will make you think before you jump into a project.
0 Likes   July 28, 2013 at 5:37AM
smdrovetto
You're welcome, wallgate! VERY smart to use the extra bricks!
1 Like   July 28, 2013 at 2:37PM
Need advice on color to paint wall behind a new painting
I just purchased the painting in the pictures I have...
bchabino
Need advice paint color(s), furniture, seating, entertaining
This is a new (for us) exquisite 1960's contemporary...
Boll Furniture 1938-2007 Boll Medical
Need advice/help paint color(s), furniture, seating, entertaining
Boll Furniture 1938-2007 Boll Medical
Paint color for kids rooms - need advice on color and design
We are wrapping up a renovation and we have 3 kids...
sarahlipsker
Need color advice!! Looking to pick exterior paint colors for our new house.
We are closing on our first house this week! I like...
hiensch
Kitchen remodeling
My sister just moved bought a house which already has...
melmelia
need help with my steps the front entry
local firm unable to capture design that does not highlight...
facey278
Decorating advice for my dining room!
Hello, We have just moved in to a house and need...
Faye Reinstein-Zigron
Bar height or Counter height home bar?
We're remodeling our great room into a game room with...
Jennifer Wood
Powder room design help
We recently bought a fixer upper. The main floor powder...
iknowclc