Americana
maggiemae0552
Do you think this room is too old fashioned looking? I am on the fence...I really like the items in the room but don't want it to look dated. This is a guest room. Thanks for your thoughts!
0825sam
I think the only thing that's dated is the window treatments. I would consider hanging to a woven shade as in this photo. Also maybe too many personal photos for a guest room?

July 27, 2013 at 4:57pm     
0825sam
Hanging - changing
July 27, 2013 at 4:57pm   
0825sam
Maybe consider removing the corner unit and placing the tv on the console table opposite the bed
July 27, 2013 at 5:08pm     
I agree with sam0705. I would aslo think about getting a headboard for the bed. Maybe edit out the some of the trinkets.
July 27, 2013 at 5:14pm     
maggiemae0552
I agree on the window treatments, however all of my windows have the white wood blinds and addind a wooden shade might not look good from the street. I have some lined cranberry-red linen drapes, would that be too dressy?
July 27, 2013 at 5:23pm   
maggiemae0552
Sam0705 thanks for attaching the picture!
July 27, 2013 at 5:25pm   
Sharon Roberts
Personally love the blinds but not a fan of the valance over the top....love the old sewing machine but more in an entry than a guest Bed? My favourite guest rooms have an inviting bed, clean lines, side tables with a lamp (or 2), somewhere that houses some books/up to date magazines... And fluffy towels with a basket of toiletries ...as opposed to trinkets
July 27, 2013 at 5:55pm     
Sharon Roberts
Perhaps consider changing the lampshades to a more contemporary shape also would make it look more up to date
July 27, 2013 at 5:57pm        Thanked by maggiemae0552
maggiemae0552
Thanks, these are changes I can easily do.
July 27, 2013 at 6:28pm   
maggiemae0552
Here are a few changes i have made so far! Still working on it.
September 22, 2013 at 6:10am     
vickicz
I loved the stars!
September 22, 2013 at 6:21am     
maggiemae0552
really?? LOL that's the one thing, aside from the curtains, that I was afraid was a little too much! Don't worry i still have them. I am trying to keep a cozy feel without being too country. I m not good at this.
September 22, 2013 at 9:04am   
vickicz
Maybe put the red star on one side and the two white stars one above the other on the other side? That might give it a more current look. Like sam0705 noted, for a guest room, less family photos and trinkets. I adore the Americana look.
September 24, 2013 at 10:41am   
I think its cute . Love the sewing machine. Might go bigger red base lamps. And new more up dated window treatment just navy blue panels on ends of windows. Add a headboard. By getting reclaimed wood. 4 x1. Have them cut to length of bd. Lowes or Home Depot. and nail to wall stack 7-9 high. Not expensive will change the look. I would paint a Revere a Pewter by Benjamin Moore. On walls. Leave planks natural. Use your stars above.
September 24, 2013 at 10:49am     
Get solid red shames and add to what you have. If you have a chair in room add your throw to it. Have to much going on. On that side.
September 24, 2013 at 10:50am   
You have too much furniture. THis is a small room. Sell desk bench and other item in corner. Move dresser where desk is now. Push towards door. in corner add a small fabric chair in white, add your flag pillow. I would remove all family pics on wall just a few in frames on top of dresser. Nothing needed over dresser.
September 24, 2013 at 10:54am      Thanked by maggiemae0552
Place TV on top of dresser. De clutter.
September 24, 2013 at 10:54am     
Just saw yr pics of windows good job. You can get there. Just remove stuff.
September 24, 2013 at 10:58am   
nasmijati
There are many Houzz Ideabooks on the topic of guest rooms. After you read a few of them, you will probably begin to be able to prioritize much more easily.

You are off to a great start! Keep up the good work!
September 24, 2013 at 11:24am   
maggiemae0552
thanks so much for noticing the new window treatments! I will try to do a little more decluttering! It is hard putting away things you love.
I am going to keep the corner cabinet - It was part of a modern looking TV stand. It belonged to my son and he passed away a few years ago. I kept his corner
cabinet so I could display some of the funny things he had collected over the years. i have slowly been packing stuff away but don't want to pack up of everything.
I am surprised everyone wants to remove the family pictures. Where is the best place to display these types of photos? I think my guest room is like a lot of peoples, in that it has to serve several functions - guest room, office, crafts, storage. It is a little bit of a catch-all, but i don't want it to look like a catch-all! Haha! just want a pretty and comfortable room for family and friends. The picture over the bed was painted by my father and i thought it looked good with the colors in the room. But I can definitely put the metal stars back.
September 25, 2013 at 4:37am   
vickicz
The picture above the bed is beautiful, i just liked the stars better. For the family pictures, move them to the hallway, or if you have stairs, move them to the wall going up the stairs. Then move the painting where the photos used to be and put the stars back above the bed. This way, you can still enjoy all your stuff and your guest room is less cluttered and more serene. I just finished de-cluttering my home, it is hard, but the results are worth it.

I am sorry to hear about your son.
September 26, 2013 at 3:59am   
vickicz
Any updates?
October 1, 2013 at 4:34pm   
maggiemae0552
hey vickicz! no big changes this week, i have been washing windows! I did do some more decluttering! Right now i am trying to figure out a window treatment for my master bath. Also! I took down all the rest of the "granny panties" curtains in the rest of the house :) YAY!
October 5, 2013 at 5:38pm     
Help! Color needed in my beige living room!
My husband and I just moved from a small apartment...
Would a tech-free day work in your home?
Imagine that you woke up one day and there were on...
entryway
I have a dual staircase without enough room to put...
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...
Turning wasted space/room into mud room? Please help?!
Hey y'all.... hubby & I are embarking on our gajillionith...