Do all windows need to be the same color?
sgms
I'm wondering if it's okay to have a mix of black and white windows throughout a house (and even throughout a floor.

We have white trim throughout our house, and we are thinking about painting some of the windows black. I'm wondering if all the windows have to be painted black or if we could paint some black and some white. I worry that black windows in our kitchen will look bad, but I'm confident that black windows in our powder room and dining room would look fabulous. I'd also like to keep the windows in the upstairs bedrooms white
Sharon Roberts
This ones hard as it really is a personal choice and my style demands that windows definitely need to match in colour at a minimum throughout the whole house ... Could u not achieve the different look u r seeking with window treatments instead? Having said that many people may think its fine... As I said its a personal thing good luck ..
July 27, 2013 at 5:48PM   
champcamp
I am curious to see what everyone says when they weigh in on this. We moved into a 1972 rambler with walkout basement. The place was "upgraded" in the 90s with a golden oak extravaganza. This is a common floor plan where the left side of the house is living room/entry extending front to back with a dining room in front, kitchen on back side, and the on the right side of the house is a narrow hallway leading to 3 bedrooms and baths. I painted the trim, closets, doors, and baseboards throughout the bedroom wing white, but in our common area (living room and dining room) we used Rustoleum's Cabinet Transformations in "kona" (black color) for our window trims, baseboards, and stair railing top. Since we have different flooring in our bedroom wing, it does not look jarring. We have a sliding barn door on the way to further demarcate the bedroom wing. (The door will slide across the opening from living room to bedroom hallway.). We love having two different trim colors to go with different types of rooms.
July 27, 2013 at 5:54PM   
karemore55
I'm always thinking about re-sale value, so if you think you may be selling anytime soon, you might want to play it safe. And by anytime soon, I mean 5 - 10 years because it will be a huge chore to change them back if you decide to sell. If you want to know the "protocol" (for lack of a better word), I believe the preferred way is to have 1 uniform color. I have never seen a home featured in a shelter magazine where drastic changes in trim color were used. If I was brave enough to try it, I would only do 1 window, and probably the dining room, as a kind of focal point - like when you paint the front door a funky color, but leave all your other doors neutral.
July 27, 2013 at 6:34PM   
the essentials inside
I don't think all window trim needs to be the same color throughout the house. However, I would keep the trim the same color throughout a room (or open space).

Lyvonne
July 27, 2013 at 9:10PM   
Mission and rustic mix kitchen - island and cabinet help please
Thinking about doing either Cherry natural or Quartersawn...
Help with exterior
PLEASE HELP! I would appreciate ANY feedback concerning...
Living room makeover
This is a rental that we are living in so no painting...
Exterior paint around door siding and door
I need ideas... Was thinking red door and stone color...
Need paint advice for bedrooms
Benjamin Moore paint of Tundra 2133-70 has been selected...