1960's Bathroom NEEDS some design love (bathroom update)
Laura McGann
We moved into this adorable 1960's ranch last year and have made the one bathroom work for our family of four... but with the pink tiles starting to fall off the walls, flooring peeling at the edges and sink laminate popping off, it's time to start thinking about a remodel. And yes, those are florescent bulbs on the mirror - yikes! All ideas welcome (especially those keeping with the style of an updated ranch).
Genevieve
You have a retro bathroom and they are on the revival these days , you could begin by painting the vanity black , repair the tiles that are loose ,change the shower curtain with one that is plain . If the sink is without any damages keep it and work with it ,from here it looks green ,so I would add the same grey by using towels ,paint the walls a light grey . It all depends on your budget too ,if you can change the medicine cabinet with one that matches the above the toilet cabinet it would complete the look . Subway tiles are in so don't get rid of them .
Hotel Wall Medicine Cabinet
Granite Grey
Traditional Murray Feiss Bentley Collection Bathroom Fixture

Zigzag Shower Curtain, Gray
July 28, 2013 at 6:38am      Thanked by Laura McGann
Kelsea Rippy
I would go with light colors to make it appear larger and brighten it up. The beadboard in the third picture could make it still feel more of a ranch style home..? Just some ideas :)
July 28, 2013 at 6:45am        Thanked by Laura McGann
Kelsea Rippy
Claw foot tub with shower would be amazing as well!
July 28, 2013 at 6:46am      Thanked by Laura McGann
Laurie Seubert
My first house was a 1954 ranch with the same pink and gray color scheme in the bathroom! If the tub is in good condition, may I suggest having the tub and tiles reglazed in white and replacing the vanity with a vintage white pedestal sink?
July 28, 2013 at 7:07am        Thanked by Laura McGann
Laura McGann
I'd love to save it, however, the walls/tiles are bowing out and the floor is coming up leading to water going down into the basement.... so I am thinking it needs a complete remodel. Love your suggestions!! Keep them coming...
July 28, 2013 at 7:19am   
brickln
Love a pink bath, but with tiles popping off and kids to bathe, I think this one's done.
Salvage everything you can- the fan, medicine cabinet, tile, fixtures. Many people are looking for these items to match their current baths.
Personally, I'd work around the gray fixtures since it's a contemporary color, and replace all the pink with white 4x4's, in keeping with the era. The floor can be re-done in tile, or a similar speckled linoleum or solid pop color. Black, wall mounted vanity, white solid surface top. Yellow walls, since that's the fashion right now.
Make it an updated bath that still has some original fixtures that appeal at re-sale.
July 28, 2013 at 7:44am        Thanked by Laura McGann
freemanheidi
You may be able to find a local tile installer who will be willing to work with some of your original salvaged tile and incorporate it into a new design--we did that in a retiling of the shower in the kids bath in our 60s ranch and used white subway tile for most of the enclosure and it worked out really well.
July 28, 2013 at 7:57am      Thanked by Laura McGann
brickln
Ha- just started browsing and came across this for a whole 'nother contemporary spin on gray with a 60's vibe!

July 28, 2013 at 8:01am      Thanked by Laura McGann
rinqreation
Put the items on craigslist, there might be retro lovers out there willing to put those tiles in their bathroom (there's even a website called savethepinkbathroom). Save money for a clean (ivory) white and stone look bathroom. Normally I'd say renovate it (I love the retro look), but when I read 'moist and basement' my reaction was 'gut it and start over'.
September 17, 2013 at 8:26am        Thanked by Laura McGann
Laura McGann
wow -- going to have to check out that website!! :-)
September 19, 2013 at 12:02pm   
rinqreation
Hmm, just found out the website isn't online/hosted anymore. The stories on pink bathrooms can also be found here though: http://retrorenovation.com/category/bathroom-categories/pink-pink-bathrooms/
September 21, 2013 at 2:29am   
pam_kueber_of_retro_renovation
Hey rinqreation, the Save the Pink Bathrooms site does still exist! More being saved every day! http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/
April 14, 2014 at 3:21pm        Thanked by Laura McGann
Erica Spangler
Hi Laura McGann,

Congrats on the new house! How exciting!

I love having the chance to make my space a blend of the home's style and my personal style. I put together some product ideas for a ranch style bathroom: http://www.build.com/favorites/ranch-style-bathroom-2992?source=fav_hzz_2992

Happy Home Improving! Enjoy the experience.

Erica
April 14, 2014 at 5:12pm      Thanked by Laura McGann
Katie Gooding
I'm riding the save the vintage bathroom bandwagon, and I saved both of mine (one blue one white, 1966), but...if tiles are falling off the walls it might be time to replace. And, even if that vanity is original, I'm not sure I could work with it. The floor looks pretty neat, though, so I would try to save it, and if it's just a couple tiles coming loose you may just need to fix those and regrout, but sometimes you just have to let certain element (like peeling laminate, yes, it might be able to re glue) go.
April 14, 2014 at 8:10pm     
I need to update my 1960's bathroom!
We still have the original grey and black tiles, green...
Need some exterior facelift photos of 1950s-1960s house.
We are doing a big reno project on this house. It has...
Want to update my 1960's bathrooms
The sinks are crumbling, the green color is getting...
1960's garrison colonial exterior need some help!
Our home was built in the 1960's. We did two additions....
Quest for the right mirrored nightstands
I've posted before about finding the right nighstands...
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
Grey paint color question!
I was wondering what Grey color paint or paints are...
Advice on wood paneling please!
I have never worked with wood paneling before but I...
How do I hide these ugly speakers?!
These speakers ruin the aesthetics of the room, how...