Need ideas for home update: paint colors, accents & landscaping
Veronica Newsom
I am considering painting the brick, I love white brick houses but other than that I've got no idea how to update!
Painted brick is a real maintenance chore. I think new shutter and door color plus a tear out of the clumpy shrubs and new landscaping would make a huge difference and no painting hassles with the brick down the road. You might also paint the trim above each window in a color that comes from your brick, so they aren't as prominent. The three on the garage wing seem a bit "eyebrow-ish." If the dormers over the porch are just in an attic, I'd consider shuttering them closed, to give a finished look. If they serve usable rooms, as it appears the bonus room one over the garage does, then matched window treatments nor none at all for all three dormers would help tie your home's atogether. I'm making the assumption that is a garage on the right. What kind of walkway is there? That might need some improvement when you landscape.
July 28, 2013 at 12:03PM        Thanked by Veronica Newsom
Kelsea Rippy
These are beautiful. I think you could keep the brick alone if you updated the columns and railings. If you're really set on painting the brick you could just do a wash in a gray color. I'm not sure a solid white painted house would be the best update. :) hope some of it helps!
July 28, 2013 at 12:13PM        Thanked by Veronica Newsom
Kelsea Rippy
I think the brick color you have is beautiful. Just some thicker white trim detail and updated porch would make a huge difference :)
July 28, 2013 at 12:15PM   
Veronica Newsom
Thank you both! @decoenthusiaste, I really appreciate all of your ideas. I feel like the stucco and the door really date the house. I'm not sure what can be done about the stucco though. My husband is in masonry so I've considered stone accents to replace them. What do you think about wooden/cedar shutters? In regards to the connection to the garage, the original plans were for an extra door to the laundry room (why that would be necessary, I don't know) but it's a non functioning space now. I agree with your thoughts on the landscaping. I feel like it looks a bit industrial parkish.
July 28, 2013 at 1:15PM   
Kelsea Rippy
I'm not sure that I would do the wooden shutters. Just my opinion but I just can't picture them fitting the style of the house. I could be completely wrong though.
July 28, 2013 at 3:06PM   
Kelsea Rippy
Then again, this looks good.. Maybe you should white wash the brick ;)
July 28, 2013 at 3:09PM        Thanked by Veronica Newsom
Veronica Newsom
Kelsea, I love this! Thank you so much! I see your point on the wooden shutters - kinda trying to put craftsman on a non craftsman style home.
July 28, 2013 at 4:36PM     
Kelsea Rippy
You're so very welcome! Keep us updated on your decisions, I'd love to see the finished look!
July 28, 2013 at 4:38PM   
Need help with ideas for exterior accent colors and landscape
I would appreciate any color scheme ideas for my exterior...
Update? Ideas- Paint Color? Landscaping?
1950 Ranch- Updated 80's - need ideas on paint color-...
NEED TO UPDATE MY CABINET COLOR & PAINT TO UPDATE MY NEW HOME
I have just purchased this home and have a limited...
How much for a big bathroom vanity?
Hello! We are building a new house and are in the...
Keep the wood tiles or ditch them?
I've bought a lot of homes and viewed many hundreds...
Declutter Challenge! - August 2014
I don't know about you, but I have several areas in...
Help for fireplace!!!!
You guys were so helpful with my kitchen redo and dining...
How do I make building a second home affordable?
Need help cutting costs before starting to build a...