Fix my farmhouse!
Pat Sokolowski
July 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We own a great 1800's Vermont farmhouse, but the porch steps take a beating with our winters. Does anyone have some economical ideas for more permanent steps? I was thinking of stone but looking for a way to reduce the cost.
Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apple_pie_order
I think you may want to talk to a local contractor because of the severe winters in Vermont. There may be good non-stone solutions that have stood the test of time there.
   July 28, 2013 at 2:44PM
PRO
AdvantageLumber.com
Hi Pat! Have you thought of using an exotic hardwood? They will last 50+ years with little to no maintenance. Here are some examples. Check out our page for more inspiration.
   July 30, 2013 at 1:33PM
felizlady
Modern pressure-treated wood will be your cheapest choice. It will need to be painted or stained. Don't save money by using the original under-structure...you want it to last a long while, so have the carpenter check the whole structure and replace any compromised wood.
   July 30, 2013 at 1:44PM
felizlady
By the way, the carved columns are very pretty. Keep the, if you can. You need to take a look at the walkway up to the porch. Simply scrubbing the stepping stones may be enough.
1 Like   July 30, 2013 at 1:46PM
Pat Sokolowski
Thanks to all for your feedback! Does anyone have experience using plastic composite wood for this purpose? We also thought about using precast concrete and skim coating it with slate.
   July 30, 2013 at 2:52PM
mc kraft
there are fantastic quarries in vermont. you should think about using a stone that is common to the area, thus weathering well. fake or composite wood looks fake...sorry but that's the truth. your house is 'real' wood and it has stood the test of time., you should stick with wood or stone that is set properly, meaning a slight slant for run-off and set into cement footings that won't rot.
1 Like   July 30, 2013 at 3:16PM
PRO
Through the Woods Fine Wood Floors, Inc.
Historically, your porch & steps would have been painted. If you keep them clean, sealed & coated, they should last longer.
   July 31, 2013 at 2:59AM