Need design ideas for living room
carvos01
I am looking for design ideas for my living room. Just painted walls and working on trim. Want to keep all furniture currently there minus the exercise bike, husband, and dog bones and toys. :-).

I have read so many wonderful ideas here and am excited to get some help with furniture placement, accessories, colors etc. thanks VERY much. I'm excited for your input!
@carvos01, first add your additional photos in the comment box below, then go delete your other discussion.

Second, give us some direction on what you want for the room. An inspiration pic that shows the style you're looking for would help. (Love the wall color, BTW.)
July 28, 2013 at 1:45pm   
abbyjean
I agree that the wall color is awesome. I wonder if the picture over the striped piece could go in that fireplace area as it seems to be the size for it, more than the one currently there. I am trying to figure out if the two couches could be separated???
July 28, 2013 at 1:48pm   
carvos01
Thanks very much for comments. The pic over the animal print settee would fit over the fireplace however (unfortunately) my husband would really like the baseball pic I have i the living room over fireplace seeing how I banished all of his other sports "stuff" to the bonus room. Lol. Thanks for the color comments as I needed to go a bit lighter. Room is VERY dark.

The sofa and love seat are two separate items.
July 28, 2013 at 3:19pm   
carvos01
Pics from other comment
July 28, 2013 at 3:20pm   
carvos01
Not really particular on style. Just something that pulls all together and stylish
July 28, 2013 at 3:26pm   
carvos01
Ps I added the other pics but not sure how to delete other. Thanks. I'm a first time user and I LOVE this site.
July 28, 2013 at 3:28pm   
abbyjean
Totally understand hubby needing his comfort things. Maybe remove the other items on the fireplace then as they seem to be....fighting.
July 28, 2013 at 3:39pm   
abbyjean
What is right behind where hubby is sitting?
July 28, 2013 at 3:40pm   
carvos01
Yes they are my parents urns and I'm not sure where I should put them in the house to display. Any ideas?

Behind my hubby is the kitchen
July 28, 2013 at 4:40pm   
abbyjean
Could they cozy up together on the top of the tv unit....on the side nearest the stripe piece?
July 28, 2013 at 6:29pm   
abbyjean
I am thinking and thinking and I cannot come up with any other arrangement! At first I wondered about the tv going where hubby is.....do not think thre is enough wall? Then I thought about putting the tv across from the fireplace and the two couches across from each other, but it looks like a stairway is there and no room for the tv. I cannot think of a way to angle any of it, either. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO????
July 28, 2013 at 6:32pm   
@carvos)1, your other thread is here: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/582701/Couple-more-pics-for-living-room-help
If you go there, right underneath your post will be some buttons. One of them says delete. Click it.

Now I will think on your room a bit.
July 28, 2013 at 6:43pm   
carvos01
Thanks abbyjean. I think putting the urns on the tv is a great idea. The unit the tv is on is a corner unit so it kinda has to stay there.

The sofa is up next to the stairs. The settee is actually leopard print. Looks kinda striped in the photo.

Any ideas on colors to add pop and pull everything together? Pictures, wall decor, accessories? Paint or stain corner tv unit?

I feel like my living room has nice items but just isn't working. Help! :-)
July 28, 2013 at 7:14pm   
abbyjean
You are totally in luck if grover is thinking and pictures will magically appear to help you, too. SORRY about think that was striped!
July 28, 2013 at 7:19pm     
abbyjean
Painting the tv unit would tie it in with the fireplace and your trim in the room. Up to that?
July 28, 2013 at 7:20pm     
abbyjean
I know rugs on carpet is not always a good idea, but they do add color to a room. One might work in front of your furniture. Choose a color from it for new pillows for the couches. Your glass coffee table rather fades away and something colorful under it would help it. You have lots of solids in the room and some pattern, other than the one piece, would help.
July 28, 2013 at 7:21pm   
carvos01
that's a great idea to add something under the glass coffee table. Do you really think it would be ok to put a small rug on carpet? Have you seen it done? I definitely would paint the tv unit. what color do you think?
July 28, 2013 at 7:37pm   
Well, abbyjean, it's not exactly magic, but they do appear.

Your oak entertainment center is dated. I would paint it white. Take all the stuff off the top and replace it. I put family photos up there, but you could put family photos AND the urns. That would be fitting, I think.

You need either a round or square coffee table in the corner of the sofas to service both of them.

Then, that settee wall can be totally reworked. Pick a dynamite piece of art--I picked a green van Goghesque piece--and slipcover the settee to match. Add pillows to complement.

Get rid of all the knick-knacky stuff. Either replace it with unique art or antiques--pieces of interest--or leave it bare.

After I rest a bit, I'll work on your fireplace wall. In the meantime, let me know what you think of the room below so I know what direction to go.
July 28, 2013 at 7:42pm     
abbyjean
Not a small rug, but a rug that would fit under the front feet of both couches. It would anchor that area. I suggest WHITE to match the other wood for the tv unit.
July 28, 2013 at 7:42pm     
And yes, you can put an area rug on carpet, but I don't think you really need to. Your area is already pretty well defined. Just be a bit bolder with art and accessories and you'll have all the pop you need.
July 28, 2013 at 7:45pm     
carvos01
that is absolutely amazing the way you did that groveraxle with the photos. I love the ideas. One problem, my husband doesn't want me to paint the tv unit as his brother is a carpenter and made that for him several years ago. ugh so that is a problem as I do agree it's dated. I love what you did with the top of the tv unit.
July 28, 2013 at 7:51pm   
abbyjean
Well, just changing the top will make a difference.
July 28, 2013 at 7:55pm   
carvos01
Yes I think doing to the top with the urns and some family photos will look great. Maybe I should get rid of the settee altogether and add a chair and ottoman?

I'm thinking of painting the inside of the area above the fireplace the same color as the walls, leaving the fireplace front white. What do you guys think?
July 28, 2013 at 8:04pm   
abbyjean
If you do not really use that settee and have another place it will work, I say go for it. What does the chair look like? COLOR?
July 28, 2013 at 8:06pm   
abbyjean
I am seeing a chest in your entry next to the window with something tall on it. Hmm.......what is that? Could THAT work where the settee is? Just a different look there under that picture hubby likes there?
July 28, 2013 at 8:08pm   
abbyjean
Is there any wall at all behind the couch on the stair way wall? Any wall for a pic there? Still wondering if maybe hubby's sports pic could move THERE and that larger one in the fireplace part????
July 28, 2013 at 8:10pm     
carvos01
It's sort of an odd wall behind the sofa and there is not anything on it so that is an idea. No one really uses the settee so I could get rid of it. Don't have the chair yet but could purchase.
July 28, 2013 at 8:25pm   
carvos01
There is a chest/cabinet in the entryway but the front of it is rather Asian looking, that matches a pedestal in the opposite wall that holds a Buddha statue. Kinda working on that style in that room
July 28, 2013 at 8:27pm   
I cleaned up a little. If your doggie wants to know where his toys are, tell him I gave them to Grover. Maybe next time he'll clean up after himself.
July 28, 2013 at 8:27pm     
carvos01
That looks really nice Grover. Ill be sure to tell my boys (dogs) to clean up but sure they won't ,lol. Thanks so much!
July 28, 2013 at 8:30pm     
Is there something special about the picture over the settee? Because it's really just more brown. You need color. You need bigger. You need to lose those sconces too.
July 28, 2013 at 8:31pm     
abbyjean
Good to keep the Asian together. There is another one, right down from the bench........not sure if that could work? I could almost see it centered on that wall in your living room and putting the tv on THAT. Do you have another place this tv unit could go? I know it is special, but maybe a lower level or a different family area? Bedroom?
July 28, 2013 at 8:33pm   
If I were you, rather than invest in a new chair and ottoman, I'd invest in a splashy piece of art for that wall.
July 28, 2013 at 8:34pm   
abbyjean
It might be nice to have something behind the couch on the stair way wall......the sports pic or even the sconces grover mentioned taking down?
July 28, 2013 at 8:46pm   
carvos01
There is nothing special about that picture. I bought the pic and sconces together as the colors matched. I think getting rid of them and putting up one nice pie e of artwork with color is the way to go.
July 28, 2013 at 8:47pm     
carvos01
Can't find a place for the unit tv is on. My rooms I the house are filled. My husband lets me do whatever I want with the house but he is attached to that piece. Ugh. Lol
July 28, 2013 at 8:48pm   
carvos01
I do think the wall behind the sofa being empty is a bit boring but I'm not sure how to tie it all together with a picture over the settee and the baseball picture over fireplace too. The baseball picture may look too small over sofa?
July 28, 2013 at 8:50pm   
abbyjean
Will the one from behind the settee fit behind the couch? I understand....the tv stays right there in that.
July 28, 2013 at 8:52pm   
standinginline
Is the settee ever used...meaning, is it comfortable to sit in and you and your husband (or others living in the house) use it? It seems like one of those pieces that just sits there to take up space, but I could be wrong :-) if it doesn't get used nor has sentimental value I say get rid of it or find a place where it will be used.
July 28, 2013 at 8:57pm   
carvos01
No the settee has no sentimental value. I just liked it. Lol. And no one has or ever sits in it. Actually is just taking up space.

Here is a pic of the wall with the stairs behind it. I hate the way it looks m ideas PLEASE
July 29, 2013 at 4:44am   
abbyjean
Thanks for that pic. I had it in my mind as a smaller area with more of the stair way showing. You have two big pieces of furniture to sit on and I am not sure adding a chair will be necessary. Since part of the couch overlaps the stair, please try moving the couch down even more to separate if from the love seat. That means you get rid of that end table, but that should be ok as there is still one between the two and the coffee table is there for a cup/glass. Center the coffee table with the couch. Can we start with that today?
July 29, 2013 at 7:13am     
abbyjean
I know it is going to be tougher now to hang things on the wall without furniture centered there, but yes, that wall needs something and the whole room will feel more cozy with it.
July 29, 2013 at 7:16am   
abbyjean
Since grover put a little bench between the fireplace and the tv, is there any chance the settee would fit there, instead of the bench?
July 29, 2013 at 7:17am   
abbyjean
You have a clean slate to work with as your room does not have color with the couch and carpet. Pillows are going to get color started in that room.....and they are fairly inexpensive, too. I know you need quite a few with those two pieces, but they also work for curling up for a little afternoon nap, too. What color do you like? How about a shade of blue??? Coral? Any color in the other rooms to work around?
July 29, 2013 at 7:18am   
If I may redirect a bit here: instead of tinkering around the edges, how about getting a focus for the room? At this point you have no direction and are flailing around in the dark, naming random colors, and moving furniture willy nilly.

I would suggest picking a piece of art to be the focal point--something other than that big brown piece since the whole room is pretty much brown--and using that for your color inspiration.

Here is another look using a very large, inexpensive piece from Ikea, with yellow and black and white accents. I also returned your TV unit to its natural state since you won't be painting it.

The word for the day is FOCUS.
July 29, 2013 at 7:49am     
Design By Pisces
Hi i would take that plaid love seat out of there it doesn t match nor the right size and does noting for the room . I would take that picture down above fireplace and either a big mirror or your flat screen tv . If you are going with the wood i wood sell that tv stand and go with a black with chrome on the tv stand and a smaller sleek tv stand . a area rug over where the sofa s are and then play with color and textures for your pillows as everything gos with black and beige some red piece eg
July 29, 2013 at 8:42am   
carvos01
Thanks very much for the ideas. I love the colors! So you all don't think couch will look funny moved closer to edge of wall by stairway? I hate that wall!
July 29, 2013 at 5:17pm   
carvos, what we really need is a picture of both sofas and the walls behind them. Stand in front of the TV and shoot into the corner and try to get as much of both couches and walls as you can in the frame.
July 29, 2013 at 5:26pm   
carvos01
Here we go
July 29, 2013 at 5:47pm   
abbyjean
You have me stumped. I was even hoping the couch could go the other way to be centered and that is not going to happen , either. Those are two big pieces to work with. Are they the same size?
July 29, 2013 at 8:48pm   
Thanks for the pics, carvos. They help a lot and I have a much better idea of what you're dealing with. May have to sleep on this one.
July 29, 2013 at 9:30pm   
abbyjean
I can see one couch angled toward the tv, but that does not help with the other one as it would have to angle, too. The tv unit is a corner piece and you only have one corner. grover, I am anxious to see what you come up with. STUMPED!!!
July 29, 2013 at 9:36pm   
carvos01
See my dilemma now? Lol. I'm out of ideas
July 30, 2013 at 5:53am   
abbyjean
I am excited to see what grover comes up with.....ideas and actually seeing it in your room. I am still BLANK!
July 30, 2013 at 7:05am   
Don't get too excited here, abbyjean. carvos may already have found the best arrangement of all the bad choices. I'm still thinking. I'll doodle a bit and be back.
July 30, 2013 at 7:37am   
carvos01
They are not the same size. The one against the wall is the sofa and the other is our love seat. Thanks!
July 30, 2013 at 8:22am   
I see two possible solutions, neither one easy. First idea: replace the stair rail on that side with wall. Not a huge project nor terribly expensive, one you could do yourself if you're handy and have the tools, but disruptive. It would be a permanent fix.

The other: replace the couch with two chairs. This would be the easier, but probably more expensive option, unless you sell the couch and get bargain chairs. See pics below.
July 30, 2013 at 8:42am     
carvos01
Those are both excellent options groveraxle. I am pretty handy at DIY projects and putting a wall there doesn't scare me. I will consider. Thanks!
July 30, 2013 at 9:35am     
WOW! Carvos, you are awesome. I figured you'd reject that out of hand. The most difficult part will be tying the old railing into the new wall, I think. But the wall itself should be a piece of cake. Good on you!
July 30, 2013 at 10:05am   
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
Need new living room design ideas
We're in the process of buying a new house. It has...
I need sofa and other design ideas for this BORING living room!
My boyfriend and I have a newly purchased Brownstone...
need help for furniture and design ideas for my living room
I've been in my home for almost 5 years. Hoping to...
Back Porch Decor? What do you think?
I am trying to spiff up the back porch and would love...
MOULDINGS ON LOUNGEROOM WALLS
I would like to wall mouldings on our lounge/dining...
Need Help with Family Room
I have a dilemma with what I should do with my family...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Redoing kitchen for resale--white? Which granite?
We are putting our townhome up for sale. Kitchen is...