Living Room Makeover for "design-challenged" home owner!
djandri
I am at a loss as to where to even begin with redesigning this space.
Please offer LOTS of suggestions & design ideas for: how to place furniture, what types of furniture would be appropriate for this space, colors, wall décor, and anything else.
This is our main level sitting room and I want to start from scratch-- painting, new furniture, new décor, but would like to keep the flooring. I'd also like to change the tiles around the fireplace but again, have no idea where to start.
We do have young children, but they don't spend a lot of time in this particular room.
Thank you in advance! and I can't wait to get started!!
abbyjean
I actually like the color of the walls in here with your floor. Very nice! LOVE that stair way wall and can picture two chairs with a table between them.....even the table and lamp already there! Maybe a couch in front of the window and a love seat that forms an L with it, to the right of the window. Nice drapery panels on the ends of the window, to sort of frame the couch. Coffee table in front of the couch. Some sort of console on the wall to the left of the fireplace? I cannot tell how much room there is there. You could break up the floor with a rug in the couch/love seat area that would coordinate with the drapery panels.
July 28, 2013 at 9:20PM   
Creative Consults- By Crystal Lowther
To start I might see if the sofa would fit along the window wall then have another club chair or two. Yeah, I'm with Abbyjean on her suggestions for sure! The color is nice but if you had something else in mind what kind of shades are you thinking?
July 28, 2013 at 9:26PM   
Elaine P
Pretty color room! I'd paint the fireplace a different color, it looks like its the same color as the walls? I'd want to show case it, pull a color of the fireplace tile as the color to paint the painted part of the fireplace. Add an oriental style rug that has some of the color of the walls in it. Don't line up the furniture all up against the walls.
July 28, 2013 at 9:41PM   
djandri
Thanks so much for the helpful ideas! I moved the couch & loveseat around already and I think it looks better already! I had been thinking of grey for the walls, but maybe that wouldn't work with the floor? Also, what color would look good to paint the fireplace? Any suggestions for décor above the fireplace? I don't really like what I currently have there, but don't know what else to try. Can't wait to go furniture shopping for some chairs & more accessories!
July 29, 2013 at 8:26AM   
abbyjean
WOW! That looks soooooo much better already! And now that I see the fireplace wall, no console necessary where the love seat is like I originally though. I would choose a color from the stone to paint the fireplace surround, but one that still goes with the wall color, if you are keeping it.
July 29, 2013 at 8:31AM   
abbyjean
Why not the gray you wanted on the walls for the fireplace?
July 29, 2013 at 8:32AM   
abbyjean
Those pics over the love seat......move them down to about 6 inches above the back of the piece and keep them the same height instead of staggered.
July 29, 2013 at 8:33AM   
abbyjean
Corner fireplaces are tricky with decorating the mantle....um, guess you already know that. Just thinking, but if you are willing to try.....the pic on it now might work over the love seat and then just one piece there. Forget what I posted before. I do that a lot.....sorry! THEN try putting the love seat pics on each wall on the mantle with the pots worked in there, too. I just need to see them to get some ideas going.
July 29, 2013 at 8:35AM   
abbyjean
IF you do not need more seating in the room, maybe not chairs for that wall......how about a console table there with the other lamp you have on it? If the two pics are awful on the mantle, they could go over that console piece.
July 29, 2013 at 8:36AM   
djandri
I'm just trying changing the pics around... the 2 from above the love seat are off to try out over the mantle. How would you space them? would it be the middle of each side or closer to the center corner?
I love the idea of painting the fireplace grey to match the existing tiles! Might just have to try that one out today too!
I think we could probably use the extra seating, so will have to go look for some chairs sometime soon. I wish I had even an ounce of your talent & creativity!
July 29, 2013 at 12:13PM   
abbyjean
I think we may have to try the fireplace a few times to get the feel for the pics and the plants....there will be lots of symmetry with those and that might be a good thing. Will you try putting the two plants back in the corner and the pics tucked just a bit behind each one? AND you do have talent....look what you are accomplishing in your home! More symmetry as the pics will also have some in their design. Put the matching parts behind the plants.
July 29, 2013 at 12:21PM   
djandri
Painted the fireplace Heather Grey and moved the pictures around ( I like it so much better already!) Any other suggestions for décor around the fireplace?
August 3, 2013 at 8:30AM   
abbyjean
I wondered where you had been and look at you! PAINTING! Did YOU do that? All that trimming drives me crazy! LOVE the pop in the corner, too. The mantle area needs something low in the center there. You already have plants, so I am not going to suggest that. Do you have any pretty circular dishes you could use there? A big one? Then fill it with something pretty, too?
August 3, 2013 at 8:35AM   
djandri
It took awhile! First I chose a color that ended up being way too light, plus had to do it all after the kids went to bed each night. But its done finally! Thanks so much!!
August 3, 2013 at 8:38AM   
abbyjean
Then you have been even busier than I even thought! And I soooo remember those days of kissing the kids good night and then pulling an all nighter to get a project done.
August 3, 2013 at 8:40AM   
Design-challenged; need help choosing a color for an accent wall!
Help! My husband and I are utterly clueless, and would...
First Time Home Owner! Need Help with Living room and Kitchen
I know nothing about interior design, but I want my...
Living Room ideas for first-time home owner w/ good space to work with
Just bought our first house and we are basically starting...
Which Cabinets do you prefer?
If you could have any cabinets in your home what would...
Maple medium color glazed kitchen cabinets in open floor paln
Remodeling one story 1959 ranch in Florida. Living...
Thoughts on new living room layout
I rearranged our furniture - I can't tell if it's too...