what to do with built in
Anne
We had this fireplace and media centre custom made back in the day when we had a vcr and tube television. Now we let the kids use it for the wii while we watch the wall mounted flat screen on the wall next to it. We want to totally re-purpose the cabinet. Any suggestions?
Anne
I forgot to mention the top and bottom shelves are fixed but the middle shelf (the one with the tv on it) pulls forward and also swivels.
July 28, 2013 at 10:35PM   
anthip
Are you saying the kids won't use it for the wii anymore? So you don't want the TV etc there anymore? Or do you just want to decorate the fireplace and surrounding area? If so, please post other photos of the room.
July 29, 2013 at 12:12AM      Thanked by Anne
glitzy
I would make it into an elegant bar. If you remove those built-in shelves and add tempered glass shelving, add those wine glass holders, space for bar accessories, some lighting, space for wine, liquor, etc, you would have a very unique entertainment area (unless you don't drink, in which case, leave the Wii there) ;-)
July 29, 2013 at 12:16AM        Thanked by Anne
LB Interiors
Maybe turn it into a bar. Mirror the back. Remove the Tv pull out and replace with a pull out shelf for mixing drinks. Paint it black except for the green sections. Spray the brass firebox, heat resistant metallic bronze.
July 29, 2013 at 12:21AM        Thanked by Anne
LB Interiors
'glitzy' , guess we had a similar idea. Clicked submit and there you were :)
July 29, 2013 at 12:22AM        Thanked by Anne
glitzy
LB...I bought my house because it already had a bar! It's opposite my staircase, hence the name, "The Staircase Lounge". I hope Anne puts a bar in her beautiful cabinet and posts photos!
July 29, 2013 at 12:28AM        Thanked by Anne
Anne
We do want to take out the TV and WII. The kids seem to have outgrown it and there's a space upstairs where the PS2 (or 3 - I have no idea) is and they're more into that. It just looks strange to have a little TV in a cabinet with the big one on the wall about a foot away.
My husband always joked about making into a liquor cabinet. I'll have to think about how to go about it. I like the mirror in the back idea and also the wine glass thingys (that's the technical term isnt it?).

Do you think some of that LED light strip stuff would do the trick for lighting?

July 29, 2013 at 2:06AM   
anthip
I think a bar is a terrific idea. I love the idea of the LED lighting like that. Fab!
July 29, 2013 at 2:13AM        Thanked by Anne
WineRacks.com
We have had a lot of people re-purpose a cabinet to fit in wine racks. We have a lot of racks on our site that can fit into small spaces and we can custom build as well. Take a look at WineRacks.com and let us know if anything works for you
July 29, 2013 at 12:20PM        Thanked by Anne
Anne
@wineracks.com I took a look at your site. Some really nice stuff there. Unfortunately, it appears you ship by UPS and I'm in Canada. UPS is the absolute worst company when it comes to bringing purchases over the border. It's so bad that I simply will not order anything from a company that uses it. My favourite way to have things shipped is USPS. The other major carriers are not as good as good old US postal but UPS is the worst. I've had to pay 2 even 3 three times the cost of my purchase to UPS for "brokerage fees."
July 29, 2013 at 12:36PM   
WineRacks.com
Anne, thanks for the feedback! We ship to Canada a lot via UPS and haven't heard that complaint yet but it is good to be aware that can be an issue. Most of our wood wine racks are NAFTA compliant though which helps bring down a lot of those fees so maybe that's why we haven't heard as much?

We do also ship via freight but that wouldn't likely work in your case as that's more of a larger and/or bulk order option.

However, depending on what you want we can likely send it via USPS. We use USPS for PO boxes, APO, etc.

If you see anything or want some help determining based on the dimensions of your space (we can custom build) then feel free to email me at Shannon@wineracks.com. Cheers!
July 29, 2013 at 12:53PM      Thanked by Anne
Anne
@wineracks.com You might notice this space is above a gas fireplace. I wonder if it would be wiser to not store wine there?
September 2, 2013 at 8:49PM   
Help! What do I do with my 80's-era built-in entertainment center?
Hi everyone! I have just bought my first home, a beautiful...
What do we do with this built in wall unit?
We want to do something with his area but have no idea...
What do I do with my outdated built-in entertainment center?
What should I do with my built in bench?
W have a built in bench at our front entry. It's an...
What to do with outdated built-ins?
We just purchased this home and, in the living room,...
Living room needed
I would like help designing my living room. It is 19'...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Living room kitchen combo arrangement
I posted a few days ago for accessory help and was...
Powder room, walls dilemna
Need help with a powder room. onyx counter top and...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...