Suggestions for window treatments?
rojonogo
We have recently painted two front rooms in new colors, and I need to select window treatments. I don't have a clue as to how this is done! I am doubly baffled because, while the windows go almost to the floor, the window treatments cannot be anywhere near that long. Our new (relatively) dogs regard floor-length draperies as handy urinals. (We adopted the adult dogs and they resist training.).

Privacy and light are not an issue in these rooms. Does anyone have suggestions as to purely ornamental treatments that won't look weird without long drapes? I am definitely on a budget, by the way.
harlow2013
I would add plantation shutters. They would just cover the windows and the dogs shouldn't bother them and you can adjust the light as needed. I have them in my home and I absolutely love them. You just wipe them off when they get dirty, how simple is that?
July 28, 2013 at 10:38pm     
rojonogo
Harlow, the more u thought about your idea, the more I liked it. Plantation shutters would be beautiful in this room!
However, I later realized these wouldn't suit the purpose I need from new window treatments: I need to introduce a pattern, and I need the colors of that pattern to tie the browns and blacks of our furniture together with the bold blues and whites of the new paint. Truth be told, the furniture doesn't suit the rooms anymore, but I have to make it work. I think patterned, fabric window treatments are my only possibility of doing that.
August 2, 2013 at 5:12pm     
rojonogo
Typo above: "I" not "u."
Note: I haven't finished the bookcases or put up wall decor. I have three framed prints of Italian, illuminated pages, and the illustrations include light-to-dark shades of mostly pinks and blues with a bit of green. I need to keep those in mind when picking a window treatment.
On the opposite wall is a huge mirror in a muted bronze-colored frame, carved in a Victorian style.
A rug would seem an obviously necessary component to the room, but our dogs make that a moot point.
August 2, 2013 at 5:21pm   
rojonogo
LB, I love the style from your first link and the pattern of the second (but need more colors in it).
Now, how would I go about finding patterned fabrics and having them made into a style such as above?
That is, once I find the fabric, do I shop around for a local seamstress or what?
And keeping in mind that curtains cannot hang anywhere near the floor, can I get away with using only a valance without any blinds or sheers?
August 2, 2013 at 5:58pm   
Kathleen
A friend of mine bought fabric and had her seamstress make curtains...you can do the same with valances. And, you can get away with just valances (i.e., no blinds or sheers) if you aren't worried about privacy.
August 2, 2013 at 7:11pm     
LB Interiors
Thanks rojonogo. I would check ready made valances in dept stores. Less expensive and I believe you could find something. Any store that cariies them. You don't necessarily need more colors than 2 or 3 colors. In addition, I would look at some red, blue, green options, not all three, just something that works without too much pink. Maybe replace the pink with reds in the fabric. You only have to use one of the colors in the art for valance fabric to tie it together.

I could help you further through my E-decorating service. It's affordable and easy. Fill out a free questionnaire to get to know you. Send photos. I will key in on what you would like. I will email you the costs broken down in segments. You pick and choose what fits comfortable for you. One step at a time. At your own pace. It doesn't have to be done all at the same time. Email me or visit my website http://www.lbinteriorsdecor.com/E-Decorating.html ... 'E-decorating' tab. Upon receiving the questionnaire and sending photos, you will receive a free list to choose from regarding your personal project. You decide how you want some help. I can find items for you and give you specifics relating to color, size, texture and style if you wish. Check out my testimonial page http://www.lbinteriorsdecor.com/Testimonials.html .... for others that I have worked with. Thank you.
August 2, 2013 at 7:16pm     
rojonogo
Thanks, LB!
August 2, 2013 at 7:17pm   
LB Interiors
You're welcome!
August 2, 2013 at 7:19pm   
Art for shared living/dining wall? Please help!
Are there any guidelines for choosing complementary...
Back Splash on unusual wall
I don't know if I should continue the stone behind...
entryway
I have a dual staircase without enough room to put...
lack luster living room with fantastic view.
I'm at a loss as to how to jazz up my living room using...
Mindful gray?
Thinking putting mindful gray on the wall but not sure...