Injecting some life into backyard....

John GlendenningJuly 29, 2013
We have a very basic backyard (we have just built our house). We want to put some garden edging around the fence but arent sure if we should use curves or straight lines. Everything about our house is rectangular as you can see...

We also have a rain garden smack bang in centre and were thinking of putting a deck over it. Any suggestions on how to pretty up our backyard a bit? Thanks!
decorcrazy
I would focus around your patio with colorful flowers. Add some big pots on the patio too. I think since the house is rectangular I would use curves. Good luck! Nice house.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 5:59AM
decorcrazy
I would put a tree on the opposite side of your doors. (Like a birch, or whatever your favorite tree is.) Incorporate it into the edging around the patio.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 6:01AM
John Glendenning
Thanks Icerveny. One landscaper said to keep proposed garden beds around the fence straight and another said to have curves - not sure who to believe!
    Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 6:02AM
kstith
Definitely go with curved beds around the fence. Everything is squared and you need to offset that with some snaky curves. In the middle you could do a low deck with an arbor to provide a shady seating/ lounge area. Plant the arbor with some climbing vines to shade the area. I have kiwi vine on mine and it works great. An ornamental tree would be nice off the porch. Good luck!
    Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 6:19AM
cluedin
Your furniture is begging for a modern straight lined garden. So is your deck. Think simple architectural plants en masse ( like tall grasses, short grasses), large groups of trees/shrubs, etc.
Having a curved garden bed in that space would be like putting chintz wallpaper in a modern diningroom. It will confuse and complicate what you are trying to achieve (assuming you are going for clean lined modern).
1 Like    Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 6:35AM
John Glendenning
Thanks Cluedin. Can you outline what species of trees and shrubs would best suit a contemporary look? We live in Australia
    Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 5:42PM
cluedin
I know nothing about plants in australia. But for modern landscape design anywhere the key is to keep it simple and plant en masse and in distinct layers. If planting trees, groups of 3 or 5 depending on space make a strong modern impact. When choosing plants consider and appreciate texture and form. Even an expanse of grass with straight clean edges ( like you have) makes a great modern statement. You cant get much simpler than this photo. It is from australia.
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 6:01AM
Cornfield backyard
We have a long narrow backyard. We have lived in our...
Kerri Daniels
Small backyard dilemma
We love our house but the backyard is nothing but depressing!...
mrswright79
Backyard in need of serious renovation
My parents have a bi-level backyard. The hard issue...
Patrick Tyler
What does your backyard look like?
Post a photo and share it with us in the comments!...
Jeannie Nguyen
Turning a concrete backyard into a warm, inviting space
We just rented a house that is great in every way,...
lyndonsmith
question for decorators: a problem with a decorated couch
i was just looking at the story about the belgians...
nnigrt
Dining room rug ?
Dining Room in new home, wondering what type of rug...
Nancy
Can I have an accent wall?
I have an open great room/dining area/kitchen. I would...
sheerien
Help us decide which color stool to keep, please!
We ordered these counter stools in both colors, as...
dnamama
4 year old's bedroom,
The bird fabric will be a quilt, the teal will either...
nomimama