Ugly, dated wicker in bathroom / laundry room
julesquoi
First time homeowner here. We love our house, but the half bath/ laundry room needs help. Looking for ideas to spruce it up on a budget. The wicker has got to go!
I would put in a pedestal sink, remove all the oak,and paint a lively color ;)
July 29, 2013 at 6:05am   
sheryl N
If you are on a budget 1st, paint the room a light color, maybe sage green, cappucino. Change the mirror and towel and soap things to a more modern style, frosted glass and silver, for example. Then remove that toilet seat, replace with a nice white. As far as the sink, if you want to keep it, just paint it and change the handles. Also, change the trash can to a more modern style. You could also add some hanging shelves that will contrast with the color you choose. Add some greenery, candles and maybe a pic above the toilet. If you choose to put in a pedestal sink you will lose some of your storage space, but you could put a pedestal that has a nice stainless steel stand and "glass" looking sink shaped like a large bowl. Very nice. Good luck!
July 29, 2013 at 6:14am   
calebsmom
Paint walls and add mosaic tile accent wall. Try overstock.com for new sink, faucet, and vanity. Or a nice size pedestal would update the look. Get a frameless mirror. All under $500!
July 29, 2013 at 6:23am   
starbella
Jules I have laundry in my bath too. I also have the same vanity. I never saw one like that before I moved into our old " new " house. I'm glad I'm not the only one and look forwarding to seei g suggestions and your finished product.
July 29, 2013 at 6:47am   
apple_pie_order
Excellent budget-friendly ideas above. For $25, you can overcoat the oak finish with a darker tinted polyurethane. For another $20, replace the oak trim cup holder and towel bar. $20 for new toilet seat.

Even with extensive sanding and priming, some bath cabinets do not take paint well. I'd just go ahead and replace all the oak if I really hated it. If it's just boring, ignore it until you are ready to spend the $500 to replace it.

Add a couple of towel bars to the walls over the washer and dryer: one to hang things until they are ready to go in the washer, one to hang clean things that come out of the dryer or need to drip dry. The towel bars can be hung high enough to hold a shirt on a hanger.
July 29, 2013 at 7:35am   
Donna Hays Decorative Arts Painter
The oak is the main culprit here. I agree with replacing with pedestal sink, but if you cannot try removing the wicker. Might be able to take/cut the panels out, then can paint the whole cabinet. You could paint the whole cabinet and then wash in a grey, should help the age of the oak. Get rid of all the things you can afford to, i.e. the cup holder, towel ring..even the cabinet if possible. Won't take much to get rid of the age.
July 29, 2013 at 7:51am   
Both bathrooms and laundry room to small and out dates
Laundry has the old tile and too small and also has...
I would love a new, up-to-date bathroom and laundry room.
For my laundry room, I would like a window, shelving,...
The bathroom is ugly and dated. I keep trying to camouflage it.
The tub, toilet and sink are this awful skin color....
Please help me design my barren conference room. .
I own a company where I sell and design custom websites....
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
I need help with bedroom art
So although I thought I was totally done decorating...