Black or Stainless Kitchen Appliances?
chrisinky
We have bought a house that we are ready to remodel. I am most likely going to use white shaker style cabinets in the kitchen because they are a little cheaper than wood. The floors will be gunstock oak solid wood. Decorating style will be country. I would like to use black appliances both because I like them better and they are cheaper than stainless. Will black appliances be in too much contrast with white cabinets? I plan to get a counter top that would blend them like a taupe with black and white flecks in it. I can't picture how it will look in my head & can't find pictures online with that combination. Any opinions?
lhutch13
I prefer black appliances to stainless. With 3 kids, stainless is harder to keep clean. What are your cabinet handles? If they are black, with those, and the black flecks, the black appliances would be fine.
July 29, 2013 at 9:00am     
Plesser's Appliance
Here is a photo we found which features Black Appliances with White Cabinets. Hope this helps.

July 29, 2013 at 9:12am   
chrisinky
Thanks for the picture! I like it & it even has the style of doors I want & nickel pulls. That helps with the visualization I needed. Besides the kitchen remodel, we are putting in hardwood floors throughout the whole house, painting every room, and replacing missing and outdated light fixtures, faucets & vanities. It's a 30 year old house that had been foreclosed on so it needs a lot of TLC. I am trying to save money anywhere I can. This combo will help a lot.
July 29, 2013 at 9:54am   
Plesser's Appliance
Sounds like you have a great plan and your in the right place since Houzz will give your great inspiration. Please let us know if you ever need help selecting the right appliances. We are always here to help. Best of Luck! http://www.plessers.com/
July 30, 2013 at 9:59am   
I prefer stainless or white appliances with white cabinets, for a lower contrast, but if you prefer black I don't think it is a problem.
July 30, 2013 at 10:06am     
Scott Design, Inc.
If you are going after the "country" style, reconsider black appliances. They are the ultimate contrast to white and bring a more transitional or contemporary feel to the kitchen. Either white or stainless steel would blend better in the country style. White appliances with white cabinets can be tricky because the whites can be off just enough to throw the color combination off kilter.

Since you are buying a complete kitchen, you will have negotiating power to ask for stainless steel at the black price. Or consider a frig (GE Profile or Kitchenaid Architect Series) and DW that takes wood panels. You don't have to do the entire cabinet door profile since you have flat recessed panels on your cabinet doors. Then go with a slide-in or drop-in (no backsplash with controls) stainless stove, hood and microwave.
July 30, 2013 at 11:00am     
Jenny Youngblood
I think since you are remodeling most of the house and it sounds like a large investment, I would really go with stainless steel. Black, while cheaper, looks cheaper and will date a kitchen. Stainless appliances can be found with more traditional arched pulls, etc and really compliment an elegant country kitchen. Choose stainless country knobs, and you can still go with a granite your describing and a more country backsplash.
July 30, 2013 at 11:07am     
chrisinky
Thanks to all for the comments. It gives me things to think about which is good. I don't want to get it all assembled & not like it when I'm done. I'm trying to get what I want lined up because we have been waiting for what seems like forever for the bank to finish the paperwork. When they are done, I know I'll have a lot of decisions & I don't like making them quickly. My pick with money not being a problem would be shaker style honey hickory cabinets with brushed nickel pulls and a tin backsplash. I'm sure the stainless appliances would look best with that option since I would already have the pulls and backsplash in that color. Thanks Scott Design for saying I could negotiate the price of appliances. I hadn't thought of doing that although I know some places that will price match plus 10% more off. I'm going to have some places price me the white vs the hickory cabinets & also appliances before I make my final decisions. I'll probably go with hickory if the price is not a lot higher.

I'm not exactly sure what type of counter tops I want either. I really like the look of the seamless sinks that go with an acrylic counter. The thought of not having to clean around the edges of an insert sink sounds wonderful to me! I have seen these tops in show rooms & they look good. They have a granite type look with the colors they come in. Does anyone have this type of counter & can tell me how durable it is? I'm not a big fan of actual granite for a couple of reasons: 1-It can contain radon which is not worth the risk, 2-You have to seal it occasionally. I'm all about low maintenance! What other options do I have for counters that I wouldn't have to seal & they would not stain? Can I get a seamless sink with any other top? I don't want tile or concrete counters. I'm liking the acrylic unless someone tells me horror stories. Is laminate just out of the question anymore?
July 31, 2013 at 8:09am   
0825sam
I can't speak to laminate, but quartz is pretty much zero maintenance. With a zero reveal undermount sink you are not going to have issues with cleaning around the sink and you can just brush crumbs right off the counter into the sink. I have silestone and am happy with it.
P.S. I agree with the above comments to go with stainless. It is more neutral and will look more updated.
July 31, 2013 at 8:15am     
chrisinky
How much maintenance is silestone and does it stain? I like having lots of options.
July 31, 2013 at 8:43am   
Silestone is the same as engineered quartz, which as sam0705 notes, is basically zero maintenance. It isn't supposed to stain, though I can't vouch for that personally.
July 31, 2013 at 8:50am   
0825sam
There is no maintenance or sealing. I just clean it with 409. Mine is white and I have had no issues with staining. I've only had some hard water marks around the sink but I think that would be the case with any counter. Using trivets is suggested for hot pans and crock pots.
July 31, 2013 at 8:51am   
chrisinky
Nice. I'll put that on my list of options.
July 31, 2013 at 9:06am   
Sustainable Dwellings
Don't like the black appliances pic above.... had em... went with Stainless commercial built in appliances, Timeless.
July 31, 2013 at 9:11am   
clubneddy
looking for the black refridgerator which is textured and shows no fingerprints also a black kit sink any ideas?
July 31, 2013 at 9:21am   
chrisinky
I have black appliances now & I actually like them. I know stainless will look better in a new kitchen though. Another problem with stainless, and its small, is that you can't put magnets on them. We put all of our sports & work schedules on the frig so we will see them. I guess I will just have to incorporate a bulletin board somewhere.
July 31, 2013 at 9:21am   
elizable
Hi there - we did a simple upgrade to our kitchen a few years ago and chose white cabinets and black granite because we had a white refridgerator that we didn't need to replace. Other appliances are stainless with black knobs. (Years ago many stainless appliance had a lot of black parts and I like that look coated to solid stainless.) Depending on the size of your kitchen and the lighting, you might consider white.
July 31, 2013 at 12:30pm     
chrisinky
Here are some pictures to see what we have to work with. We originally thought we would just paint the cabinets again, get a new counter top and appliances and be done. We had already decided to lay gunstock oak throughout the whole upper floor. (I'm very set on this so that will not change.) We took another look at the cabinets & decided they needed replaced. They are old 80's dark brown laminate material that has been painted white. I haven't actually got any estimates yet but that will happen soon.The lighting in there is very good. The double window over the sink lets in a lot of light. There's a window centered on the end of the house that is more in the living area and there are french doors opposite the kitchen in the living room. We have decided to knock down the wall between the kitchen and living room so its one big open room. We will replace it with a peninsula with bar stools on the living room side because we will have to put a support beam and post there. I like peninsulas and the support post will look good at the end of it. (I've looked at a lot of kitchen books!) I'm not real sure of the rest of the layout yet. I will have to change it some because of adding the peninsula. The sink and dishwasher spot really can't be moved because the basement ceiling is finished & we are not cutting into it. I like where it is anyway. The refrigerator will have to have a new spot. I know some people put the stove on their island, but I don't like that. I want it as a work surface for myself & the kids for homework and breakfast. Changing the layout to make it work and trying to keep cost down as much as possible are my main problems. We are doing a lot of the work ourselves because we are not in a huge hurry & we have talented friends and family to help. We should be able to start work on it in a couple of weeks & hope to be in it by the end of September. We are doing a lot of painting too. If anyone has any more suggestions, I would love to hear them. The more options I have, the better I feel about making decisions.
July 31, 2013 at 1:32pm   
chrisinky
Sorry about the sideway pic. It is saved the right way. Here's a couple more pics.
July 31, 2013 at 1:36pm   
chrisinky
The last of the 4 pictures and the first of the 2 pictures show the wall that we're taking down. Its the one with all yellow paint & the white chair rail going down the middle of it, not the one with the gold & yellow paint. That's an outside wall.
July 31, 2013 at 1:38pm   
Nicole Lee
white kitchens with stainless appliances look clean, modern and very put together, where as the black seems a little too harsh and outdated. black can also be too much of a contrast.

Iris Ave.
Allerton
July 31, 2013 at 1:41pm     
Marilyn Wilkie
Do you have a Sears Outlet store near you? Sometimes you can get great deals on appliances there..not just Sears brand. I'm not crazy about stainless myself...I get "shadowing" on my fridge which to me isn't "stainless" and stainless needs to be cleaned constantly. . Black appliances will show a lot of fingerprints too. I have a black gas cooktop with a black glass top and it drives me crazy...constant cleaning. I agree with an earlier poster that white is more country.
July 31, 2013 at 1:46pm   
chrisinky
I like those pictures NIcole. I'm now leaning toward the stainless. I've seen where you can get refrigerators that don't show fingerprints now. I'll look into that. My mom has stainless and I've tried cleaning the refrigerator. I just doesn't come clean. I'm really trying to decide the frig location now & how to make a peninsula transition smoothly into the corner that once had a frig in it. Can't picture that. Ideas?
July 31, 2013 at 1:54pm   
Scott Design, Inc.
Sketch a floor plan with dimensions and window/door locations in dark ink. Take a picture of it and attach to this thread. We can take a look.
July 31, 2013 at 2:37pm     
chrisinky
I don't have my measurements with me today but I will try to post them tomorrow. Thanks!
August 1, 2013 at 11:13am   
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
Black is nice, just fine, as appliances, and counter with texture in it. With the shaker, or mission style cabinets of warm colored, or cherry colored wood, it could give it an 'Asian' look, and feel... very nice!..
August 1, 2013 at 11:16am   
Replace appliances in a black & white kitchen with stainless?
Hi, I have a vintage condo with a small kitchen....
Mixing black and stainless kitchen appliances
Need new range. Have black Samsung refrig & Siemens...
Can I mix black and stainless appliances in the kitchen?
I have a black dishwasher and black refrigerator that...
white kitchen stainless and black appliances
My husband and I are working on my new white kitchen....
Help!!!!
How can we go about making this house less ugly.Of...
What colour should I paint the door
I want to paint my door. The stucco is green and all...
Exterior house colours
Our home's locale experiences green summers and white...
How do you display your books?
Some people love their coffee table books, others display...