Dining/Living Room Layout and Decorating Help
karengustafson
This room at the front of the house is a combined dining room/sitting area which has stumped us since we moved in. The room feels cold and not comfortable to sit in. Walls are yellow but I think a brown shade would be better? I'd love to replace the patina iron (chandelier and stair railings with black/dark brown) - is painting it possible? Would appreciate any layout or decorating suggestions! House design/style is mediterranean.
GREIGE - a great warm neutral for you. Here is an ideabook with tips for you.

July 29, 2013 at 4:08PM   
motownmom
Right now it looks like a dining area with a piano & chair. You do need more furniture, LOL.

I'd get a sofa to put in front of the window. I'd move the large chair to where the bookcase with the picture on top is, facing toward the sofa with it's back to the railing(you can use the footstool as a coffee table, with a tray on it, or put it on the other side of the sofa near the one cabinet in the dining area). The bookcase with the picture on top can go in the entry area where the wall is bare. I'd remove the railing to the right of the door, it's not really needed. The table next to the chair can go in that corner between the chair & sofa.

Put the rug you have under the front feet of the sofa, to connect the area between the sofa and chair.

Because the living & kitchen (?) area are connected (where I gather the baby gate is), changing colors means you change the entire area. I think the color is fine with the mediterranean style. I also don't dislike the color of your patina iron. To pick up that color I'd try to find some pillows and maybe the sofa (?) in that shade, or complimentary shade of green.
July 29, 2013 at 4:18PM     
Need Help With Open Dining/Living Room Layout
Hello! We have a fairly small open concept living...
Awkward layout of dining/living room
Dear Houzz Community, we want to furnish (table, chairs,...
Awkward layout of dining/living room
Share Dining/living room area decorating
I have a 25'5"x12.3 area that is used for a formal...
help for dining/living room chair style
i heard that if i have round traditional dinning chairs,...
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
Bachelor's First Condo HELP!!
Mid 20s young professional who just recently purchased...
Need help with my Kitchen layout
Hi all. My husband and I just recently bought our first...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
New home landscaping
Help with new home landscaping. The home is located...