How do I replace square recessed lights?
mikkibookmiteJuly 29, 2013
I hate the square recessed lights that are located in the halls and family room of my 70s rancher. They are hideous and very energy inefficient. Yet, even after 16 years living here, I don't know how to go about replacing them. For example, what kind of contractor should I ask to do the work? What should I use to take their place? How much might it cost?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Two options. You can contact a licensed electrician to come out and give you some ideas and rough estimate. They can probably give you information on good, local lighting suppliers to talk with as well. OR, you can start with a local lighting supplier to narrow down on what you want and then they may recommend a good electrician. Be sure to take pictures of your space (existing lights) with you to visit lighting suppliers.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mikkibookmite    July 30, 2013 at 10:49AM
handymam
Good answer Deborah. In this day and age, it is so easy to take a pic on your phone and bring it to the store to show a part, or a situation you need help with.

mikkibookmite, we have the same lights in the basement. My electrician said he could replace them for us with round ones because our ceilings have dropped tiles in the basement. You may need to get a bit of work added for drywalling in ceiling if that's what your ceiling is. It will be worth it though! :)
    Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 11:00AM
mikkibookmite
Thanks for the recommendation, but we don't have dropped tiles. I think that is what has stopped me all these years.
    Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 7:13PM
roosterdavis
I think I know the recessed lights you're talking about. They are pretty bad. The good news is that (if they're the same ones I'm thinking of) removing them leaves a large opening in which you can install a smaller can light. Generally you can rework it using the same feed (but not always). If you're adding more, have an electrical contractor install them for you. I have put in about 20 remodel cans that take no more than a 4 1/2" hole to install. You'll probably have to cut a few small holes to get the feed from can to can, but better than tearing out the ceiling. Good luck!
    Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 8:47PM
roosterdavis
Good call. I missed the ranch bit of the original post. If there is an attic, you can put them wherever you want. I would caution you to get an IC rated can light if you plan on putting insulation around the lights.
I've spent my time in attics doing this very thing. Including my parent's house.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mikkibookmite    July 31, 2013 at 7:59PM
mikkibookmite
Thanks so much.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 5:54AM
I want to replace the lighting in my kitchen
I have used this site before with my kitchen as I first...
carlyabbey
how many recessed lights on one switch?
is it too much to have 10 50watt halogen lights on...
ljr811
ledbetterp
I like the recessed lighting. Where do I find the product?
we are doing a basement renovation with exposed rafters...
marawrinkle
Square recessed lighting trim
Using this recessed lighting trim. Any thoughts?
Goldcon Construction
Need help for my DR
I don't know what to add to this wall in my DR, two...
margasanchez
Feed back on area rug
Does this rug work with my colors?
nduthu
HELP ME - I MADE A BIG OVERSIGHT IN SHOWER DESIGN! AGH.
Okay, I know it's minor and there are much worse things...
Sherry
Family room sectional?
We bought a Beautiful sectional, I am just not sure...
omoge25
Library nook color
I have a closet that is about 4.5x7 and I'm going to...
myearthsuit