Decorating with a Purple Sofa
crabada
I have a gorgeous purple sofa that I love, but it presents some decorating challenges. Since it's kind of a statement, I'm not sure where to incorporate patterns without overdoing it. I'm also unsure about what other colors to use in the room - I love jewel tones, as well as the pairing of purple with either yellow or a nice lime green, but am open to suggestions. I'm also working with a room different than the one in the picture - the new space has beige tile floor and antique white walls (that I can't paint since I'm renting). Thanks in advance!
abbyjean
That is a beauty! I go safer with my suggestion of a gray. BORING compared to your colors, but SAFE.
July 30, 2013 at 3:05PM   
July 30, 2013 at 3:18PM        Thanked by crabada
Brenda
wish I could say that is the boldest Victorian sofa I've ever seen ... but I stumbled onto this one on Houzz the other day ...

]
July 30, 2013 at 3:27PM     
Brenda
love Darzy's palette suggestion and photos.

purple and turquoise look good together as well -- maybe even throw some lime green into the mix (couldn't find a living room photo, but here are a couple of bedrooms)

[houzz=Guest Bedroom][houzz=Laurel Heights Residence][houzz=Living Room Chic]
July 30, 2013 at 3:27PM        Thanked by crabada
abbyjean
You can tell I live in Viking territory.....with those colors in a room. It is also our school colors, so while I love them THAT way, it seems strange for me to think of a room decorated that way. They do pop with each other!
July 30, 2013 at 3:29PM   
crabada
I think I could swing a pair of patterned accent chairs in a grey, but is it too much if it's in a brighter color?
July 30, 2013 at 3:38PM     
crabada
And what do you think of raspberry with purple?
July 30, 2013 at 3:38PM   
abbyjean
Oh, I LOVE that gray chair you posted! Very nice! Make the bigger pieces the safe colors....like gray......and play with the fun colors for the pillows and accents.
July 30, 2013 at 3:42PM      Thanked by crabada
indianpatti
Love your couch! I'd go glamorous ... gray, cream and silver ...
July 30, 2013 at 3:45PM        Thanked by crabada
The muted yellows, lime, teal with the purple could be an option for a sophisticated, colorful space. More jewel tones like you were thinking.
living room
Living Room
July 30, 2013 at 3:55PM        Thanked by crabada
Nicole Lee
I think purple and grey go so well together. it brings some softness and subtlety to the room since your sofa is a very bold color.

July 30, 2013 at 4:00PM        Thanked by crabada
R Robulock
I agree with abbyjean, keep it simple, when you start adding other colors, you will overlook the beautiful sofa. I love jewel-tones as well. I would try to glam it up. Try a white ruffle or sequin pillow or both, a glass table and a white furry rug.
If you want to modernize the sofa, you can paint the wood paneling along the top and bottom a silver color, that would add a lot of glam!
July 30, 2013 at 4:09PM      Thanked by crabada
May we see the actual room and the other pieces and styles you are contributing to the mix? I'd suggest the sofa's wood trim could use some TLC. Here's a great and colorful eclectic space with a purple sofa.

July 30, 2013 at 5:04PM     
R Robulock
The one decoentusiaste posted is a nice one as well. Different colors on the rug pop out!
July 30, 2013 at 5:09PM   
leelee
I have a purple sofa although I prefer to call it aubergine...or Barney. I use greens, yellows and reds as accent colors in small doses. My walls are a taupe/gray. It's hard to overlook Barney no matter what other colors are added.
July 30, 2013 at 5:25PM   
Purple and green decorating
Decorating with hunter green striped couch
Love the purple sofa. Where is if from?
Where did you find the purple sofa?
Green kitchen.....purple sofa
This is what is happening at my house. I don't really...
Need help (purple sofa and curtains)
I recently bought a deep purple sofa and planning to...
Searching for these barstools
Does anyone have any idea where I can find these bars...
Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong
Hello All - Today I finally had the courage to get...
I need help with my kitchen final touches!!
I am trying again with photos. Need suggestions for...
Need Help with Kitchen Design
We are remodeling the kitchen & adjacent living room(eventually...
Need help with living room
I'm not sure what to do! I am using these colors off...