Brick wall in kitchen-help!!
ngrausoeby
So we bought this house and it needs lots of help...but the kitchen I'm really stumped with. I want to remove the "L" piece and plan to put in an island. The biggest issue is this brick wall. The other side of it has a fireplace and a place to store wood. But the kitchen side is awful. You can see how thick it is. The oven at the right end is smaller than normal size. I have no idea what to do with it. Brick can be nice but this is so thick and takes an extra 18-24 in out of my kitchen space. I like the fireplace on the other side. Just not sure what I can do with this without ruining the fireplace side (if anything??) Any suggestions?? Thank you!
ngrausoeby
Sorry the pic doesn't show the "L" piece but it is just beyond the chairs toward the stove and would "T" with the brick-plenty of room there though to put the island which would run following the length of the brick
July 31, 2013 at 7:43am   
nancyde
Is there another oven or do you need to replace that oven with a larger one? You could attach floating shelves to the wall for a budget friendly option. Or you could sheetrock over it but it will take up more space because (I believe) they will have to attach studs to the brick then attach sheetrock. Good luck!
July 31, 2013 at 7:50am      Thanked by ngrausoeby
Brenda
If it weren't for the odd wall oven set into brick I would say that I love it. Actually, I have one just like it (less the wall oven).

You could take the wall oven out and drywall over the backside if the "look" bothers you.

Or, we could try to brainstorm things to put into the wall oven spot ... wood burning pizza oven? ... Miele built in espresso maker? ...
July 31, 2013 at 7:54am        Thanked by ngrausoeby
0825sam
I love the brick and would try to work with it. I like Brenda's ideas of putting another appliance or oven there. Here's an idea for shelving - is there any room to add some counter and lower cabinets even if they are more shallow than standard?

July 31, 2013 at 8:00am     
ngrausoeby
I will need to replace with a larger oven-may go with a double or an oven + a microwave that also does convection for the 1-1/2 oven kind of look. I just wish it wasn't so "thick". I'm not sure how it will work to put those ovens in, in terms of working with the brick?
I've never worked with existing brick before....not sure if it will destroy the brick trying to do this, in which case will the whole wall just have to come down?
I have no idea how old the mortar is...
I don't mind the brick look so much...I hate the asymmetry. I hung the tapestry to help. But if I put in the new ovens do I put them in the middle? Do built ins in the existing hole (from old oven)???
July 31, 2013 at 8:01am   
ngrausoeby
I like the built in above-maybe do something like that with the existing hole if I center the new ovens?
July 31, 2013 at 8:02am   
Brenda
expanding the opening in the brick is very likely NOT an option. you are going to have to find another home for your wall ovens ...
July 31, 2013 at 8:03am   
CDR Design
I love that brick and think you should try to work with it.

Before you make any decisions, I would have a fireplace expert look at it to determine what, if any part of the brick needs to stay in place for fireplace safety. What can be removed, changed.

Do you see what I mean?
July 31, 2013 at 8:06am      Thanked by ngrausoeby
ngrausoeby
yes, thanks....I don't want to lose the fireplace-although we thought of putting in a gas kit in the space. We live in an area where there are brown recluse spiders. So we don't want to have the wood issue in the house. So we thought putting in a gas fireplace would allow us to keep the asthetic aspect of the brick and give us the fireplace still. I do like the brick, but I need to find a way to work with it. Thanks all!
July 31, 2013 at 8:10am   
0825sam
Do you need wall ovens? Can you do a range?
July 31, 2013 at 8:11am   
ngrausoeby
Well, I wanted to keep some of the existing kitchen design. There is a cooktop already, so that is why I was going to just do the wall ovens. But if financially and space wise I can't do what I want with this, then I may have to change things, go with a slide in and then I can just do a built in in that space. Brainstorming now.....so all thoughts are welcome!!
July 31, 2013 at 8:15am   
perryz
moved into a 1976 home with a brick wall 15 ft. long---fireplace in living room (which we converted to gas) and stove inset on kitchen side, with two cabinets at the other end, which we think previously held built in ovens. We have painted the brick a neutral light green, and hung a great metal sculpture piece. Would like to have a portable island built to stand in the middle across from my "L"! Sounds similar.
July 31, 2013 at 8:19am     
0825sam
What is your style? A slide in gas range may give more of an industrial look to your kitchen anyway and work nicely with the brick wall. Then it seems you would have more options. So far as long as there is room between the wall and the island, I am liking the idea of a counter and some cabinetry. You should then be able to balance the asymmetry of the oven area with some accessories. I like Brenda's coffee station suggestion.
July 31, 2013 at 8:21am     
ngrausoeby
Wow-this house was built in 1973-very similar! Too funny...if you have any pics to share would appreciate it!
July 31, 2013 at 8:22am   
ngrausoeby
I don't know if I have a real style! I like stainless appliances. The cabinets existing are off white and in decent shape-so will keep those and just update hardware. I will be changing the counter tops to either a dark wood (like color in the photo that was posted-although those counters aren't wood) or brownish solid surface. We will probably go with electric appliances. The island I will probably do a different color cabinet...not sure what yet
July 31, 2013 at 8:27am   
CDR Design
Would highly suggest you call a kitchen design co. They may charge you nothing to come out and look and it would give you an idea of price and options.
July 31, 2013 at 8:50am   
Studio Dearborn
If you plan to keep the fireplace, i would assume that the entire structure needs to stay. I would assume that the oven is over the wood storage area, capturing a little bit of the dead space over the wood storage on the opposite side. So I would conclude that you need to work with the brick and the oven opening as is.

Your question is a really interesting one to me, because I've been gathering images for an ideabook on brick work in kitchens. It is really an emerging trend, and here you are thinking of ripping it out! I definitely would keep the brick, and I would think about how to use the oven recess creatively, for a different appliance perhaps (built in coffee maker/espresso, etc.--do some research based on the exact size of what you have there) and then perhaps build a counter, for seating, right there, I think the key is to work with what you have, and work your kitchen space around it.

When posing questions like this, floor plans can be really helpful. I will post images of some brick in kitchens later.
July 31, 2013 at 9:08am        Thanked by ngrausoeby
ngrausoeby
Well, like I mentioned-I do like the brick, just not the way this was put in. I would have rather had the brick flush with the far corner wall and had the brick stick further into the family room. Then it wouldn't be pushing into my kitchen so much. The oven is actually over the opposite end of where the wood storage is. It's a rather long wall. I would love to see some photos. I'm brainstorming, so I'm not crossing anything off the list yet-no hasty decisions here...Thank you!
July 31, 2013 at 9:16am   
CDR Design
There are so many possibilities: here are just a few

-a two-way fireplace (see-through from family room to kitchen)

-change island so that it is facing fireplace and somehow incorporated into fireplace, maybe a U-shape, facing fireplace?

[houzz=Lake House]
[houzz=Living Room]
July 31, 2013 at 9:42am   
Nancy
remove the wall oven, install a shelf/shelves and voila - perfect spot for cookbooks.
last Monday at 5:35am   
Vega Maguire
You are very lucky loads if people pay for brick walls to be built in their houses, make the most of it!
3 options;
1) Add some really awesome lighting, neon signs would look amazing
2) log burners add to the rustic vibe and are very useful to
3) family photos create a cute homely rustic vibe

I would make the bricks loom glossy or something too if that's possible?
Hope this helped I attached pics to so u could see wat I mean x
Vega x
last Monday at 6:26am   
Small keeping room off the kitchen...help!
Team, I have been living in my new home over a year...
installing of quartz counter tops in kitchen...Help
I want to install quartz counter tops in our kitchen,...
Awkward kitchen...help
I just purchased a late 70's ranch and the kitchen...
Remodeling our kitchen-help!
We are planning a complete kitchen remodel. The only...
small outdated kitchen....help?!?!?!
I dont even know where to start...i cant stand my kitchen...please...
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...
Help! what can I do with my family room?
So this is our flop room I like to call it. We all...
Cool Grey Living Room?
Need design ideas to improve Living Room in our new...
Describe coastal in one word!
What springs to mind when you think of a coastal interior?...