Need help with small den

ree1ree1July 31, 2013
I am thinking of one wall a darker paint. Which wall should I paint darker? Also any ideas for new furniture?
abbyjean
What a nice room. I read so much on here that accent walls are accident walls and look like you ran out of paint. When I look at your room, my first thought if you wanted to do a different color is to do that wall your fireplace is on....just that sticky outy part and around the mantle and just go a few shades darker.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:05AM
abbyjean
I think you have the right amount of seating in our room now and I would go a little darker with that, too. Even a leather?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:07AM
abbyjean
Not asked, but thought I might suggest to just take down the pics by the tv screen....they are small and maybe even a bit distracting in that area. maybe try the candles together???
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:08AM
ree1ree1
Thanks Abbyjean, do you have an idea for the color of paint that would look in my den?
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:10AM
abbyjean
What color is it now? I have been loving gray these days and I suggest it all the time. It is the new neutral and it would work well with your carpet, too. Then whatever color you choose, you could stay on that card and go a few shades down for the part around the fire place. Let me get back with a shade suggestion.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:29AM
abbyjean
Look at this one........Sherwin William's Mindful Gray
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:33AM
abbyjean
Try to put the lamp on the table in the corner back further. It will still provide light for that area, but then it will not interfere with the art there as much.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:45AM
ree1ree1
Thank you so much. I will take a look at the gray paint.Abbyjean, are you saying the fireplace wall, should be lighter than the Mindful Gray paint?
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:52AM
Rave Redux Decorating Services, LLC
It is a very nice room and I think you have very good furniture and accessories to work with. Here are my suggestions to go along with abbyjean. It appears that you are using red and black as your accent colors in the art and accessories. I like the idea of the accent wall around the fireplace and I LOVE these two colors together...with your red and black already in the room. Try Sherman Williams Chamois (SW6131) as your accent wall and then Blonde (SW6128) on the other walls. Other suggestions are to place your picture frames from the mantel together in varying heights on a side table. I would love your bottle collection from the corner piece placed on your coffee table in a grouping. If there is room on the mantel, I agree with abbyjean and would place the candlesticks together on one side. If you have a small book to place under one of them you could have one a little taller than the other. I would put one of your copper vases from the hearth on the other side of the mantel. On one side of the hearth, I would place the urn with flowers and the other copper vase together. It is a great room already and with these simple "redux", I think you will love it. Oh, I also agree with abbyjean about moving the picture to the left of fireplace. Perhaps you could find a spot where you could hang it and the one to the left of the window together. I hope this is helpful.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:21AM
abbyjean
I like accent walls to be deeper, so I would try to stay with the card to make sure the tones match.
Because your den is smaller, please consider 4 chairs instead of a large sofa and a large chair. Swivel, white leather, to complement all your white woodwork. A round coffee table in this brushed silver/glass. Next, you need to choose a paint color which will visually enlarge the space. BM Horizon will do that nicely. If you want an accent wall, just do the fireplace/tv space, in BM Black Bean Soup.
2010 HHL - Family Room · More Info

A tip: don’t hang pictures framed under glass where windows can reflect on them.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:29AM
Rave Redux Decorating Services, LLC
I agree that using colors from the same card helps insure that your colors are coordinated. SW6128 and SW6131 are on the same card.
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:44AM
ree1ree1
I really appreciate your help .I do not have room for the two pictures together, but I have moved many things around. You and Abby are a blessing.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:55AM
Rave Redux Decorating Services, LLC
This looks great! To balance your hearth with your mantel, I would suggest the "tall" things opposite each other. I would either place the floral on the left or the candlesticks on the left, but not on the same side. Try that and see if you like it...
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:05AM
abbyjean
I love it when people try suggestions and post right back....thank you! And isn't it amazing how doing such simple things make a huge impact??? I have to agree with the post above on balancing the hearth and mantle and then you will really be smiling!!!
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:26AM
abbyjean
One other suggestion.......try that picture that is hanging in front of your floating shelves propped on that top shelf. There is room for the height right there and then those things will have full attention without something fighting for it on the wall. It is also ok to overlap some of the pictures, too, as long as the content can still be appreciated. WOW!
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:28AM
I would paint the whole room a different color. Then do bump out on firepl a 2 shade darker.try the soft grays, Edgewood by SW, get samples put on wall first. Furn is to big and bulky. Go a traditional sofa in a solid aqua. 2 chairs in a aqua cream print. Barrel type that swivel, place together.
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:33AM
Lighten up all dark furn. Go glass, lamps. A turquoise base white shades drum style. Remove all art, go a big 36 x24 high pic of a seascape, in a white or silver frame. No need to put something on every wall. Palms are good for filling empty corners. A round coffee table 24" in glass, would fit rm better.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:36AM
Remove all item off FP and beside it on floor. No need for anything. It's just clutter. Remove valance and add panels in white a light weight in a woven fabric. Keep windows bare.
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:38AM
Extend panels pass window by 8" go floor to ceiling. Then no need for art on each side. Use a brush nickel rod. Lowes has them. Ck TJMax for art.
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:40AM
If in budget change floors to light color wood. Will really update space.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:41AM
I would move china cab to another room. If I'm repeating others post, sorry. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions take the ones you like. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:43AM
ree1ree1
Great Abbyjean,I'm trying it with and without the pictures. I thought I may have to take down the shelves.thanks again. Should I paint just the accent wall a darker color and do the wood trim white?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:11PM
abbyjean
You are awesome! Love the lamp moved and the hearth set up. Leave all the photos on one shelf and vary the height of them. You have a pot on top of the corner curio.....will you try that on the shelf with the canvas? The tallest one. It may not fit on the width, but wanted to see.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:19PM
abbyjean
Leave the mantle white. I love it just like that. Just the wall around it and all the way back to the wall it is on.
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:22PM
ree1ree1
You are the Awesome one. is this the one you meant?
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:28PM
ree1ree1
Oops I put the wrong one up.
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:31PM
abbyjean
Well, your mistake was a good thing! Look at that striped one with her dress! WOW! THAT HAS TO GO THERE! In the corner! LOVE IT!!!!
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:35PM
abbyjean
OK.....the photo shelf....still not loving the small ones together. Will you try the larger one in the middle?The other two on the sides.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:36PM
ree1ree1
oK here's a couple .I need to get another plain frame.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:17PM
Rave Redux Decorating Services, LLC
Wow! I went to walk my dog and came back to awesomeness! Love the striped vase with the picture!!! Perhaps you have some other items you could display on that shelf with just one picture frame? Agree with abbyjean, you are awesome to keep uploading the pics and responding to comments so quickly. You've made a day of lists and to-do items much more fun. I love peeking at my computer screen to see what you've done next!
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:20PM
abbyjean
Since the pots on the corner curio are up almost too high to be appreciated, how about show casing them on that lower shelf with ONE picture, live Rave just suggested. Put two on the opposite side of the top one, together and then the pic on the other side. Leave the top of the curio empty. Try the others on the table with the lamp you moved back, as part of the role of a den is to have things around you that you enjoy, and it is obvious these are special pictures!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:26PM
ree1ree1
Is this what you had in mind Abby?
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 3:11PM
ree1ree1
You guys are wonderful.what do you think
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 3:22PM
Can we tackle that third picture on the right behind the sofa? Is it really hanging lower than the other two?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 3:39PM
ree1ree1
It sure looks like it from that angle. I will measure it. Thank you
    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 5:08PM
Studio Van Herik
Generally speaking, you can paint one wall of a room darker than the others if you want that wall to come closer to you (visually speaking). For example, if you have a long, rectangular room, you'd want to darken one of the shorter walls in the room (ie; to make it look a bit less long). Another very important thing to consider when wanting to paint one wall darker than the others in a room is where the entrance to the room is.......what that means is that you should stand at the main entryway into a room to help you decide which of the walls you want to have the greatest impact (ie; the darker colored one). Hope that helps.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 5:17PM
abbyjean
I love the ONE vase you have with the two pics. GREAT job with those!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:05PM
Need help: small space for office/den
We recently downsized from 4300 sqft to 1600 sq ft...
rhonda1158
need help decorating small den/dining room...
Was looking to maximize the space to use for dining,...
cpaige29
need help with furniture for small den
I am trying to make my breakfast area into a den. ...
tamivernon
need help with small den 5 x 10 x 16
78" window in front wall 5 ft wall also has a 36"...
carolgrabe
Ideas for furniture layout in small den in downtown condo
I need help in laying out the furniture to make sense...
Rebecca Potts
Dining room decor
Hi guys, give me some ideas on decorating my dining...
sham814
Family Room
These white boards can, t be removed without ruining...
Maureen Wiest
3/4" marble on metal sink legs?
I purchased the 2 leg Palmer sink legs with rear risers...
saralines
Bedroom colors
Hi We just moved to a home and it came furnished. It...
Nidhi