Need help in my bathroom! Crisis of vanity!!!
Isa Nicole
I am mixing modern and organic in my bathroom design. I chose a sink that, upon delivery, does not look anything like the color pictured when ordered. I need to find a vanity base for it to sit on that is no more than 30" wide and I would prefer it not be solid to the floor. Floating vanities are beautiful but this sink weighs 40 lbs (hand carved natural boulder). The bathroom is gold - pale pale pale shimmery gold on the walls, a deeper richer gold glass tile for the accent wall behind the tub. Any suggestions on a vanity that will tie it all together? I'm all for organic, vintage, repurposed and reclaimed stuff here....I have attached an image of the sink (fairly accurate color wise the inside does pick up green tones) and the tub (it is huge and beautiful and made of lithocast so it has a matte stone like finish, very organic feel). Floor is porcelain tile that looks like wood, comes in plank form and is fairly dark on they grey/brown side of dark. The room itself is fairly small, almost perfectly square and only has one small window with a very un-exciting view.
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
lovely sink. Do you have a pic of room & where vanity would be located?
   Thanked by Isa Nicole    July 31, 2013 at 1:01PM
Love your bathroom. Good job. Go on line type rustic industrial bat harms. See what comes up. I'm thinking metal and black. Modern.
   Thanked by Isa Nicole    July 31, 2013 at 1:16PM
Sorry typo rustic bathrooms.
1 Like   Thanked by Isa Nicole    July 31, 2013 at 1:16PM
gingerclaire
How about getting a local carpenter to make you one? I'm thinking a solid square timber frame with the the top surface in an organic pattern made with a gold mosaic tile... Whatever you do, I think you should pick a surface material that will reflect the lovely shape of the basin. I know this picture is of a side table, but those are the sort of proportions I'm thinking of.
   July 31, 2013 at 1:25PM
gingerclaire
@travisinteriors rustic industrial bat harms? Heehee.
1 Like   Thanked by Isa Nicole    July 31, 2013 at 1:26PM
Isa Nicole
@gingerclaire @travisinteriors i was just thinking i had learned ALL this stuff about interior design and boom...you got me with that one! whew - just a typo :)
I should make it clear (I realize it was not that clear from my post) that the tub pictured here is my exact tub but this is not my bathroom. I am about to post a few pics now.
These suggestions are all wonderful and helpful thank you all!
   July 31, 2013 at 1:30PM
Isa Nicole
Here is a shot of the gold tile accent wall, and another (very exciting) shot of the window wall. When you open the bathroom door you face the window wall. To your left is the wall where the vanity and toilet go, vanity closer to the door, toilet closer to the window. To the right is the gold wall where the tub goes. Shots do not show the space where the vanity goes very well but maybe this helps?
   July 31, 2013 at 2:04PM
Nicole Allen
What about something like this (style wise) minus the chrome legs--- with the stone bowl setting right one top?
1 Like   Thanked by Isa Nicole    July 31, 2013 at 2:13PM
Nicole Allen
your could repurpose an actual bedroom vanity and put a nice peice of granite on top that would pick up some of the tones of the wall and place your sink right on top.....
   Thanked by Isa Nicole    July 31, 2013 at 2:18PM
I think you want a thick slab of wood that has been polished and finished, and I would build a steel cantilever frame back to the studs to hold it and the basin. A woodworking supply that furnishes wood for furniture makers will know how to order this for you - even some of the butcherblock supplies also sell plank tops in various specialty woods - walnut comes to mind. Also possible you want to do somethng in stone that will echo the gold in one aspect - honey onxy comes to mind. Again, a slab over a subtop over cantilever framing that sends the weight back into the studs. Exposed plumbing underneath and behind.
1 Like   Thanked by Isa Nicole    July 31, 2013 at 2:20PM
Isa Nicole
These are all fantastic ideas thank you all so much! I have had to do most of this on my own with no feedback. Very thankful to have it here.
@NicoleAllen I actually have a bedroom vanity that I wanted to repurpose but it does not fit the measurements. I just got a bit more time for this project as we have decided to put in a pedestal sink as a temp fix while we find the perfect thing. May get to repurpose after all and can now take all of this advice and do something incredible. Will post more pics as I go along.
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 8:06PM
maestrobath
we have quite a few vanities that might do the job. probably the silver leaf one. Here is the link: http://www.maestrobath.com/consoles.html
1 Like   Thanked by Isa Nicole    July 31, 2013 at 10:58PM
Isa Nicole
ahhh @maestrobath you just blew my already-over-budget budget out of the water...gorgeous stuff. i have gained a bit more time by opting for a temporary pedestal sink until i find the perfect piece, and now that the room is painted i have a much better idea. the gold paint and gold tile make it (not surprisingly) intense, so the sink and console should be sleek, luxurious and have an organic feel or element. otherwise im headed towards "real housewives of..." style and it is just a bit much. pics to follow.
1 Like   August 5, 2013 at 10:30AM
Isa Nicole
the images below show the tub installed in front of the accent wall - there is no other gold tile except that wall - and a peek of the toilet. the sink would go next to the toilet, opposite the bath. the color here looks a little mustardy and flat. it is indeed very textured and metallic but certainly darker than i wanted (although it got lighter with the 2nd coat...i believe a 3rd is going on?). im pretty sure i will use the stone sink upstairs and get something a little more sleek and less heavy for down here. i want it to be luxurious, not ridiculous :)
1 Like   August 5, 2013 at 10:35AM
I need help with my bathroom vanity...
I want to paint my bathroom vanity a dark brown, but...
Need help choosing a mirror over my bathroom vanity
Can I put 2 large oval beveled mirrors over a single...
I need help with my bathroom vanity
I really love the vanity and sink and taps used in...
Need help with more choosing a vanity and storage for my bathroom
My bathroom is small. I need storage for hair accessories...
Need help with my bathroom vanity backsplash
I have found an aluminum mosaic tile that I want to...
This house makes me cry. And not in a good way.
The exterior of this house is just not working for...
Need help choosing width of sconces for bathroom vanity.
My guest bathroom vanity is 59" wide with a mirror...
Kitchen back splash area not level
Just installed new cabinets and granite counter top...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
shutters need a color
Now that i painted my new door ,i am asking myself...