Adding stairs to plan and losing storage. Need help creating more
99mkw
July 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are in the very beginning stages of planning a new home. We like a plan from the builder which he had built before on a slab. Our lot will have a drive-under garage so we need to make room for stairs going down. The logical place will mean we lose the hall coat closet and closet off the office. We can live without a closet in the office but could really use a coat closet.

We considered cubbies and hooks on the landing going downstairs. We're not sure there will be enough room and we're nervous about our small children taking a tumble while they get shoes on and off. Maybe a baby gate could solve the latter issue but we're trying to come up with something more elegant.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fred S
Why can't you just make the house 2 feet deeper and add closet space?
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 5:18PM
PRO
R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
You can shift the entrace to the office closer to the main entrace by about 1.5 -2 feet. This will give you some room to put a 24" deep coat closet on the wall to the right of the stairs going down. Put a sliding door on the closet. The closet will protrude into the office not into the hallway.
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 5:20PM
Fred S
With the stairs cutting the basement in half, there must be enough room on the other half for a closet before you go out to the garage.
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 5:28PM
99mkw
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess it comes down to a trade-off between cost and aesthetics, though shifting the office entrance isn't too big of an aesthetic sacrifice. My wife found this:
http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2012/02/project-entryway-closet-makeover-reveal.html

I'm not sure we're brave enough or disciplined enough to have that space doorless, but they sure made a great-looking set of cubbies.
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 4:10PM
PRO
Dytecture
Not sure how wide is the entry hallway, looks like it could be narrower in order to create a decent sized closet by the foyer.
0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 8:30AM
decoenthusiaste
Search the box above under Photos for stair storage and you'll see some options.

0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 8:41AM
99mkw
The hallway is roughly 6.5 feet wide. On the one hand we think that will add to an open feel but we might be able to take a little bit from there so we'd need less carved out of the office. Am I correct that near the stairs would be the obvious place or should we consider closer to the front of the house?
0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 11:23AM