What would you change ?
karate41
Any ideas ?
vmpowe
Cut the hedges down in front of the porch. Replace with low growing colorful plants.
5 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 8:20PM
Yes, I'd cut the hedges at the walk and extend the flower bed curvy towards the tree and near the first window. Black small bark and natural plants and flowering groundcover for color.
3 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 8:23PM
I would add a shallow pergola across the garage and plant some vines to crawl over it;)

4 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 8:30PM
nwduck
New house numbers centered above the garage doors in black. Spray paint the lightpost black. Take out the hedge along the walk. If possible, leave a small planting bed for plants/flowers around the lightpost, and expand the width of the walkway to the house (replacing the planting bed of hedges with hardscape), stone, brick, concrete or charcoal colored pavers--whichever is more economical. Create a curved planting bed from the expanded walkway edge (starting even with the lightpost, but on the other side), around the front of the tree, to the corner of the house where the brick stops. Evergreen plants mixed with variegated leafed plants, and perennial flowers. Some foundation plants under the bowed window. Cute house, lots of potential!
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 8:43PM
karate41
I like those ideas. Should I also add a pergola in the front of the door to the right ?
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 8:44PM
nwduck
I'd do the other things first, and see what you think. The tree is such a wonderful feature to the front of your house (most people would die for), I'd make that the focal point. Am not sure it needs another feature. Maybe you could add a unique, fun colored bench under it for summer evenings on the lawn, chatting with neighbors!
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 8:57PM
I would stay with the garage only.
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 8:58PM
Stewarts Point
I seem to get out voted a lot on this site. But in most cases mature bush type landscaping = ugly. Sorry. I'd also Tim the tree. But that's me. My foliage fears me at home
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 9:22PM
Stamps Design Services
I suggest that you severely trim back the shrubs (or remove), enlarge the planting bed to include the tree, and add a variety of shade loving plants like hostas, ferns, coleus, etc. Change out the light post with perhaps with one similar to one of these? Paint the siding in a gray or blue gray, leaving the trim white... :-)
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 9:28PM
nwduck
@StewartsPoint: Mature landscaping often looks bad because people do a number of things. They don't understand the mature size of their plants and put them in the wrong spot, and too close together. They don't understand how to prune them the right way to keep them looking neat. A little internet reading, a brave heart and a good pair of pruners can save a landscape.

And, you have a point about the tree. A licensed arborist could take a look, selectively prune (because trees can grow bad and unhealthily located crossing branches) and it would lighten the tree and contribute to its continued well being.

So, here you go.....you are right about the tree. As a person living in the Pacific NW land of trees, I should have noticed it myself. Kudos! :)
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 9:47PM
Stewarts Point
:)
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 10:21PM
I think when plants no longer look natural (trimmed to boxes) they are time to go. It also make a house look dated to me.
2 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 12:32PM
karate41
I am going to cut those. I was thinking of replacing the garage doors with wood looking doors and matching front door with glass.
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 2:13PM
Actual rustic, not millionaire rustic
I'm looking for rustic cabin, outdoor sauna and garden...
Help! New construction, long, bare foyer
Need design ideas for our foyer. It is approx 20 ft....
What is the best way to install cabinet crown molding?
I am working on a laundry room cabinet installation...
Gallery wall layout
Which layout is better? What else can I add? Thanks!...
Ideas for the front landscape
I am removing the two spruce trees and replacing with...