Does anyone else like to rehab or repurpose furniture ?
bullydogsmom
I love to DIY. I like to take something old, and I don't mean antique old, just old and there is a difference, and give it a facelift. I go looking at new furniture and it just doesn't have the same pride in craftmanship that stuff from the 30's 40's and even the 50's has. I love stuff made in the USA.

My DIL wants a Buffet for her dining room, she has a lovely table and chairs and corner cupboard.
She and my son have 3 boys under the age of 7. A lovely home they built 5 years ago. But they are on a budget and asked me if I could find them something. Mellisa requested a black finish with worn edges with some old red showing in black. I said I could do that.

Well I got this heavy mohogany buffet given to me yesterday. Doesn't get any better than that. So today I gave it a good scrubbing,lightly sanded it and started her transformation!
Step #1 burgundy paint on the edges, then a coat of flat black. Let this dry overnight. And tomorrow the magic begins! Distressing it and then applying dark wax and rubbing the heck out of it.
It is going to be perfect.
July 31, 2013 at 8:34pm   
KraftMaster Renovations
LOVE IT ! please post the final pictures :)
July 31, 2013 at 8:40pm   
pheonyx
Cant wait to see final pics. What is this wax you are using..
July 31, 2013 at 8:50pm     
bullydogsmom
Finished my Sideboard for my DIL. She's over the moon! We tweeted it a couple of times, added more black on the top less red. Redid a door that I took to much paint off. But it's done. The flash makes the red look redder than it really is. Its more of a barn red. Tomorrow they will take it home. On to the next project! Going to paint my coffee table. Then make a headboard.
August 3, 2013 at 2:48pm   
abbyjean
I bet she is over the moon about it! FANTASIC! A little time and a lot of love....perfection!
August 3, 2013 at 3:06pm     
Laura
That is fabulous. I love black over red.
August 3, 2013 at 3:37pm   
Angel18432
Could you tell us what kind of Wax to use for this project.

I've been looking for a cabinet for extra dishes. Finally found one "art deco" it looked perfect for my needs.
Was working and couldn't get over right away - by which time it was gone - I was so disappointed and now have to start my search again! Maybe I'll look for a "freebie" on line.
August 3, 2013 at 4:05pm   
linlac
I'm getting ready to try two nightstands. Just going for one solid color. Did you sand? Use a special paint? Does the wax protect or do I need a clear coat on top? Any advice would be appreciated.
August 3, 2013 at 4:18pm   
LB Interiors
Wonderful transformation and great work!. It's a lot of work, but so well worth it. Love the look :)
August 3, 2013 at 4:24pm   
bullydogsmom
My technic is whatever works! This one I sprayed flat black,sanded the black with a fine sanding block, then waxed it with my own homemade wax. But I love chalk paint and that's what I use a lot. But my DIL wanted a Pottery Barn look. So i went with the flat black.

. I make my own wax. I started doing this because well, I'm cheap. I like nice things, good quality,but I'm cheap. I couldn't see spending 25$ for a can of ASCP wax which I did, once. So I researched waxes. Very simple to make. 1 lb of raw beeswax 5 cups of mineral oil. Go to goodwill get a big cheap cooking pot,turn on your oven to 300 degrees, take the wax outside wack it into 3 or 4 chunks, melt it in the oven. When melted add the mineral oil. Stir it about every 10-15 minutes as it starts to cool and thicken keep stirring, when its so you can handle the pot and the wax is about the consistency of cook oatmeal pour or scoop it into some containers, I use small metal loaf pans I but at GW for .25 cents. You can make dark wax by adding a tiny, tiny amount of any color Gel Stain to it. Experiment. I only use about 1/2 cup of wax at a time. I use an empty yogurt container and mix my colored waxes in them.

I also make my own chalk paint. 2 cups flat paint 2/3 cup of calcium carbonate or plaster of Paris, mix the CC or POP with a little bit of warm water then add to your paint. Stir well.
August 3, 2013 at 4:52pm     
LB Interiors
Thanks for that. Love to save money too. I like DIY.
August 3, 2013 at 4:57pm   
Angel18432
Your most kind to share. Thank you.
August 4, 2013 at 6:54am   
can I mix doors and cabinets?
Am rebuilding my 2 baths after a flood. Can I put...
Need help picking a quartz countertop
I have medium brown oak cabinets. The cooktop, range...
Need advice for DR Chairs
I would like to add two more chairs at the ends of...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Need help choosing an exterior paint
Which color scheme would look best on outside of the...