How to decorate with color scheme for popping up living room
celerygirl
August 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have small and not sunny living room.I put some efforts to make it cosy and inviting.The wall color is kind of butter..I do not have any particular style. I just used what I have... Help me please to make it better. Any ideas and suggestions highly appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
celerygirl
We have butter wall color now. I think that is not coordinate with furniture
August 1, 2013 at 5:47am   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Well you have some nice pieces but all together they are not harmonizing.
The drapery panels are fine to be stationary at the sides of the window but the rod should go all the way across. You need a larger rug with more color in it. Then add some pillows that will bring the color from the rug onto the sofa. I do think that the mirror is a little large and you could use art work there instead to add color and interest. The pair of tall side cabinets are lovely but too tall next to the sofa. A tall green fiddle leaf plant in a corner will also help. wall color seems just fine. Good luck
August 1, 2013 at 5:54am     
PRO
A Crew of Two
I think you need a larger area rug in a warmer tone. The gray is not working with all your warm metallic tones. For the window...a Roman shade hung the height of the curtains would really make the window look much better. There are too many pillows- once you have the new rug in remove all the accents and slowly add in pieces until you get the look you want. Arabesque-02 Rug, Copper, 5'-0" x 8'-0" Sphinx Area Rug Silver Gray And Gold French Medallion Oushak Rug Charleston window treatment is a roman shade
August 1, 2013 at 6:12am      Thanked by celerygirl
PRO
B. Thrower, Interior Redesign and Home Staging
Everything just blends together. There is a need to create some pattern and texture that does not all "match". Suggest addition of color in trim on pillows, walls, lamp shades. Remove the ottoman and just use the table. Add a rug as suggested to bring the room together. Like the idea of the rod going all the way across. Add plantation shutters instead of blinds.
August 1, 2013 at 6:15am     
PRO
B. Thrower, Interior Redesign and Home Staging
Have the love seat face the TV and use the ottoman as seating as you tried. Much better arrangement.
August 1, 2013 at 6:18am   
celerygirl
Thank you Kelly! I thought about rug! I just did not know what is the best color
August 1, 2013 at 6:47am   
celerygirl
I like idea of plantation shatters... Do I need to go down or just right to the end of the window?
August 1, 2013 at 6:49am   
PRO
A Crew of Two
Plantation shutters are nice, but expensive. $100 a square foot at least- I feel your window is not the right size for these to work.
August 1, 2013 at 6:50am     
celerygirl
I agree that everything blends together. Some pieces of furniture are from grandma...So we want to keep it.
August 1, 2013 at 6:52am     
celerygirl
Kelly! We keep in mind to replace old windows.
August 1, 2013 at 6:54am   
celerygirl
At least I want to have a bigger window here because room is dark.
August 1, 2013 at 6:56am   
Margo
A simple darker rug would ground this area,

August 1, 2013 at 6:56am     
PRO
A Crew of Two
Well a new window changes everything! That will help the space tremendously.
August 1, 2013 at 7:05am   
decoenthusiaste
I think your window treatment could be done as though it were two windows and be more effective. Hang two roman shades and three stationary drapery panels. The shades need to start just under the top edge of the panels and cover the wall as well as the window. Move your loveseat away from the window into an "L" with the larger sofa. Buy a rug big enough for the front feet of both sofas to sit on and to extend 10" past the outside edges of them. The lovely chests are not for this room as they are not useful for those sitting on the sofas to place anything like a cup or book on. I would build a shelf in the niche behind the TV and put it there, eliminating the TV stand. Use paintable cord chases to hide the connections. Do you have a corner here, or in another room, where your huge mirror can stand vertically as a floor mirror? It is too large for the sofa.

August 1, 2013 at 7:09am     
celerygirl
Thank you decoenthusiaste! I often read your advises to others and do like them! Nice idea of three draperies. I even could not imagine it, As for love seat-I wish I can do L-shape, but we do not have enough room . We have open concept from kitchen to living room.Bar chairs are in this spot.
August 1, 2013 at 11:10pm   
decoenthusiaste
Would you have room if the large sofa faced the fireplace and the loveseat was in the place where the large sofa is now? Glad to be helpful! Are you one of my "followers" here on Houzz? Please follow me since you like my advice. Thanks.
August 2, 2013 at 8:27am        Thanked by celerygirl
celerygirl
I think it is not enough room for big sofa faced TV. Here is another pic.
August 4, 2013 at 12:22am   
decoenthusiaste
Is that a table or a counter? It looks huge, but maybe just the camera angle. It is a bit crowded. Just use the hassock as a coffee table for the smaller sofa. Maybe you can find a nice tray to sit on top of it. An area rug large enough to span the space and sit under the front feet of both sofas would warm the space and anchor it. The window treatment I posted would help too. Keep tweaking!
August 4, 2013 at 6:54am      Thanked by celerygirl
PRO
Sustainable Dwellings
Marcy C. has it right with the darker rug. You seem to have vintage cabinets (beautiful) meet John Wayne ( nice leather furniture... awful TV stand, a little busy in there... so sorry, but it is poppin in a bad way.... clear some of the articles out and start with basics...
August 4, 2013 at 7:04am   
celerygirl
It is a kitchen with granite countertop.It is a big enough.
August 5, 2013 at 4:58am   
celerygirl
decoenthusiaste! I can use hassock and I can find nice tray.I probably can even bring a big chair ( as part of all sitting set). I just wanted to use all grandma and mom's furniture.
August 5, 2013 at 5:03am   
celerygirl
here we are
August 17, 2013 at 6:45am