Roof redesign big deal?
deedso
I am interested in buying house that has recently had new slab and foundation added (great!). The old glassed-in front porch is now included in the "official" foundation, but the roofline reflects the separate porch and an addition to porch that is a flat section that is damaged & need replacing.

I am wondering if it will be a big deal to eliminate the flat roof by expanding the hip roof of the porch to include the section of the porch that is flat...it will all be supported by a sound/solid foundation. Might be a way to eliminate the old exterior wall between house & porch..

Would really appreciate any insight.
soberg
Well, what do you consider a "big deal"? The idea seems viable, and will require:

* Structural engineer

:-( Had a long post here, it got truncated during posting.....
August 1, 2013 at 7:24am   
deedso
thanks for such quick albeit truncated response. Yes, I definitely would hire professional contractor...I would think it would require permitting etc. I'm wondering if there is a way to guestimate if this is a 3K project, 5K project or 100K project. the whole house is only 500 squ ft! I have to replace the flat roof anyway & redo the underlying joists that have been crushed with estimate of $1.1K - would like to use that $$ instead to do it the way I want.
August 1, 2013 at 7:31am   
apple_pie_order
Would you please post more photos that enlarge? You'll need to be able to get the joint between the two roofs watertight. How do they intersect?
August 1, 2013 at 7:37am   
The conern is there isn't enough spacing between the 2 roof forms.
August 1, 2013 at 12:25pm   
deedso
not sure about either of last 2 comments...the porch is slightly less wide than the house, but the foundation is continuation without becoming less wide at porch (is rectangular). I'm assuming that this means the two roofs would have different pitch, and therefore there would be intersection, but I suppose I could just make the smaller section shorter and make connection "seamless". This question for the professionals I guess. Sorry I can't enlarge the pic, but you see the roof in the left ending about 1/2 way across porch, I want to extend that all the way over to the left.
August 1, 2013 at 1:49pm   
Fred S
It could easily turn out to be the same cost either way. If the existing roof finish will need replaced sooner than later on the main house and you don't mind a semi-patched look in the interim. Hopefully you didn't mean to draw in what looks like small valleys on the second plan.
August 1, 2013 at 1:57pm   
Fred S
You posted while I was typing. Seamless would probably be better. Less chance of leaks. Not enough jog to really help design.
August 1, 2013 at 2:00pm   
DSK Design
Keep in mind what happens when you open a can of worms... I like the idea of the roof, I would remove the very short valleys and keep the roof continues. That would also most likely mean you are re-roofing the entire house. I would also suggest you have a structural engineer, not a contractor verify the foundation of the porch before move forward with anything. You could also dig a 3' hole along the side to see what the foundation is doing. You will need architectural drawings and a permit. I would say you are looking in the range of $20k-$30k when you add in new roof, new shingles, interior walls and finishes, expand MEP ex.. Good Luck!
August 2, 2013 at 5:37am   
deedso
DSK...the whole house is only 500 squ feet...the redesign area is about 18 x 10 ft... how can it cost that much? I know what you mean about can of worms tho.
August 2, 2013 at 5:48am   
DSK Design
I might be exaggerating a hair.. However I have worked on a few small projects on adding a 3 season room roughly that size that have been around $25k-45k... There are a LOT of variables and I have no idea where you live and the cost of labor... I would expect the worst, write a list of items that need to be done, ie Demo= $1,500, New roof flooring and walls rough framing= $4,000... New asphalt roofing= $5,000.... New interior drywall.. electrical... flooring.... you get the idea..
August 2, 2013 at 5:56am      Thanked by deedso
HI -- It is very hard to bring two roof lines -old and new together and make it look right. Being the house is small -- I think the best bang for the buck , would be to just do a new roof over the whole house . Then it will look better , and be better . Then you could possibly then have an open vaulted ceilings inside , which is great for a small house .
August 2, 2013 at 6:11am     
DSK Design
Lefty47, Keep in mind what all is involved with doing a new roof, supporting walls, new ceiling, new mechanical... moving mechanical, electrical plumbing... There are a lot of implications to consider. It is possible to increase the pitch on the existing, frame over it and tie into the new roof which could be trussed so you have a seamless roof...
August 2, 2013 at 6:14am   
HI - @ DSK Design -- Well aware of what can be involved with a project like this but,- I have seen projects that have been done with refitting two roof lines together and it has always been a waste of money with after problems of leaking and so on and they always look patched together . So without me knowing what mechanicals etc. are involved with "this" house , I was just putting out the idea of an all new roof which would be money well spent and I think it would also look better .
August 2, 2013 at 6:29am     
DSK Design
Lefty, I would agree on the possibility it opens up... Could end up completely transforming the house.. I think Deedso has a lot to think about and I would suggest finding an local architect to help.
August 2, 2013 at 6:48am      Thanked by deedso
HI - DSK Design -- I agree Deedso should get help from an Architect or who ever should they choose . Houzz is an "Idea " and general information forum , so I don't get into fine details and budgets and so on , because we are not hired for the job . We don't know the structures of said particular building or the costs of things in their area , so all we are asked for are opinions and ideas.
August 2, 2013 at 8:50am      Thanked by deedso
deedso
Thanks lefty 47 & DSK Design. Good food for thought. Lefty you uncovered my secret because creating an open vaulted ceiling is exactly what I was thinking/dreaming of! I intend to get an architect/builder in there & look at these possibilities because I want to remove an interior wall too. Just wish I could do before I make decision to buy....wish me luck!
August 2, 2013 at 10:11am   
HI -- Thank you deedso -- I do wish you luck for your roof project and I do think this will add so much to the house . If things work out for you , I would love to see some "after " pictures .
August 2, 2013 at 4:41pm   
Wondering how big a deal it is to replace these windows.
I want to replace these windows with something prettier....
Is it a big deal to change floor direction?
Beautiful design! Our foyer is smaller with Brazilian...
Big Boy Room Redesign
Hey all! I need your help with layout for this room....
Need help for my kitchen
Hi I need help choosing a colour to paint above the...
What is your backyard crying out for?
Some people let their grass grow too long, or their...
Let's play with my living room...
Hello,any suggestions for my living , choice of colour,all...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Ugly fireplace dilemma
Plan on tearing out the nonfunctional fireplace, but...