West Window Shading
gokite
This is a modernish house with several large window panels. There are effectively three: entryway with front door (behind the person), upstairs loft/office (above the person) and the largest in front of a stairwell just to the right of the person. It is the stairwell window assembly I am most worried about as this large window panel faces the West. Directly Westward, and has no real roof "eave" over it (just the small eyebrow at the top). So the summer heat gain will be large with these windows. I am wondering if anyone has any interesting suggestions for me - this is new construction.
pcmom1
As it is new construction, I am assuming you are putting in the best most energy efficient windows available!

Besides that I would have outside retractable shades made out of transparent shade cloth. That and plant trees to the west that will block out sun (Poplars grow fast!).
August 1, 2013 at 9:20am   
gokite
There is a line of trees about 40'-50' high at the front of the property (50' setback) that will block sun starting at 4pm-ish...so direct sun will be from 12-4 so the 4 hours won't be too much. We are using the best windows we can "afford"! Going to price out Marvin first and go from there. I do want winter heat gain though so I need to find a balance.
August 1, 2013 at 9:50am   
pcmom1
Price out those outside sun shades also. That will let you have your winter heat gain without the summer heat gain! If done right, they won't detract.
August 1, 2013 at 10:30am   
Jane Thompson Architect
Be sure to check with the window manufacturer about which Lo-E coating they are quoting for your windows. The higher the number the lower the solar heat gain coefficient (meaning less heat is transferred through the window). Often we specify different Lo-E coatings for South and West facing windows than North and East facing windows.
August 1, 2013 at 11:04am   
gokite
I'm possibly looking to design a sun box around the window as in the attached...or split the window into two and put another eyebrow or small eave across the middle. Comments?
August 1, 2013 at 4:02pm     
gokite
Whoops I meant this one where you cans ee it better...
August 1, 2013 at 4:03pm   
pcmom1
What does a sun box do?
August 1, 2013 at 6:43pm   
Betsie
Check into getting uv filter coatings to start with so you do not damage you art and floor coverings and furniture with the sun light . Then think about getting really good insulated shades that can be raised or lowered according to you needs and desires, Go with the highest quality you can afford.
August 1, 2013 at 6:58pm   
88 Atelier for Architecture
The best way to shade east and west facing glass is not with overhangs but with side fins or recesses. I suggest recessing the window a foot or so back from the facade if possible and/or selecting a glass with a low SHGC. You might also consider silk - screening a pattern such as dots or lines on the glass. You are correct in being concerned. With all of this I would add a large shady tree well placed to shade the glass.
August 1, 2013 at 7:25pm   
gokite
@pcmom ("What does a sun box do?") - it shades the window from the sun when it is high, as well as from the side (since the sides of the box protrude out past the window). As 88 Atelier said, if the window is recessed, the sides of the box will cast a shadow with the sun going lower. In my case, the windows face due West so I am debating on using this because in the summer, the sun is hotter, and the box facing directly Westward will have more direct sun (less side shade) due to the sun's path being directly overhead. In the winter, the sun is lower so there is more of a side shade effect but when it is winter I want that solar heat effect to minimize heating the house. I think I just answered my question. I will likely just make the eyebrow protrude further out and use a LowE and LowSHGC window glazing...?
August 2, 2013 at 6:31am   
Fenstermann LLC
If you have already ordered your windows, it is to late to incorporate sun protection in your glass. However, in general it is important that sun protection doesn't tint your window and makes your room darker. The best way is to avoid the sun hitting the glass in the first place - so you use motorizes exterior sun shades. This will keep the heat out when you want it and later in the day/ evening you can open them up to get light in...and in the winter time you will have the opposite effect...flexible light management is the key...
August 2, 2013 at 2:46pm     
gokite
Have not ordered windows yet. Breaking ground in October so there is plenty of time to make changes. I modeled up a two eyebrow design - shadowing at approx 4pm on 6/21. At 2:30 sketchup model shows the entire window shaded. I will try to attach a movie of the sun positions and shading...the exterior shade is admittedly my favorite in terms of flexibility but least favorite in terms of looks...tough call. any other ideas? (movies can't be attached..)
August 2, 2013 at 4:26pm   
pcmom1
Couldn't retractables be hidden when not in use under the eyebrows? You need to be comfortable sitting in your home.
August 2, 2013 at 4:34pm   
Scott Design, Inc.
Look into smart glass windows. " Windows made from SPD-SmartGlass enables end users to manually or automatically control the amount of light, glare and heat passing through a window to create more comfortable and environmentally friendly indoor spaces "
http://www.smartglassinternational.com/smart-glass-windows/
August 2, 2013 at 4:51pm   
gokite
@pcmom1, I think so but I am in chicago and I'd hate to have snow, etc ruin the mechanism. I need to speak to those companies' reps to learn more I guess
@Scott Design, thanks they are in the UK. I contacted viewglass.com to see what they have they are US based and have a tinted option rather than opaque glass.
August 3, 2013 at 5:38am   
zippyvt
Have you thought about interior motorized window treatments from Lutron? They are easily controlled and can be connected to most security systems, to automatically raise and lower based on time or temperature. My husband does this professionally and states that its straightforward. If you are still pre-construction, you can rough in a low-voltage wire to each window for power.
August 3, 2013 at 7:01am   
pcmom1
Are you putting up interior treatments? I recommend cellular shades. They are great for insulation for both heat and cold, and let a lot of light in. When closed they compact down to around one inch deep. Practically not there.
August 3, 2013 at 8:51am   
gokite
@zippy, lutron seems to direct me to Serena Shades which are all cellular which I kinda don't like the look of. I am looking at Mecho Shades: http://www.sheershades.com/mecho_shades.html
Lutron have something similar?
@pcmom...see above. Looking for a shade that dominates less of the space, but I think this is what I am going to do with lowE/SHGC windows.
August 3, 2013 at 9:39am   
zippyvt
As long as you can rough in a low voltage wire to power the shade, you can choose any motorized window treatment style from Lutron. They have powered roller shades like the link you showed. Ideally the builder would construct/accommodate a recess for the roller to maximize visibility in the window. Go to Lutron.com and you can find a local rep who can help you with available styles etc. Let me know if you need more info.
August 3, 2013 at 1:11pm   
gokite
@zippy, will do. I will probably do this in three locations within the home. Thanks.
August 5, 2013 at 5:25am   
Headboard Dilemma
I got a custom wood headboard from Etsy and not sure...
Undermount sink questions
We've got an undermount sink installed in out granite...
What to do above china cabinet?
Hi all, this has been an invaluable resource before....
basement flooring?
Looking for recommendations on what flooring to put...