Hardwood: Will I regret a clear stain & satin finish on narrow planks?
Candri Brizu
Hi Houzzers! We are re sanding existing floors in our new house. We like modern/contemporary looks. Particularly, we like Scandinavian type finish. The house is traditional and rooms are on the small side.

I have spoken with a few interior decorators and they've all suggested light walnut type stains with satin or semi-gloss finishes. They think the Scandinavian look it's best in restaurants and will go out of style in a few years.

These are photos with previous owner furniture. We'll likely go for light grayish or brownish walls. Please note we have oak in narrow planks. Scandinavian style is usually much wider planks. I am somewhat concerned because I've never seen the look I'm going after in our type of wood (not in magazines or other people's homes).

Any thoughts on the floor choice I'm going after and whether I might regreat it?

THANKS!!!
Rockin' Fine Finish
Oak looks nice in a clear finish you can do a satin finish . I probably wouldn't do a matte finish to get the Scandinavian look
0 Likes   Thanked by Candri Brizu    August 3, 2013 at 7:22AM
Candri Brizu
You are suggesting clear 'stain' and satin finish, right? It's two decisions that I have to make, right? Excuse my ignorance! :-)
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 7:38AM
Candri Brizu
I want to avoid a yellowish look. The floors are currently being sanded... the very natural just sanded look is so darn beautiful. I wish I could keep it at that... Have you ever seen oak with a gray or grayish stain? I have not, but I wonder if that'd help make it look more like natural wood? More like it does now while being sanded?
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 7:40AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Yes leave them natural a waterborne finish will keep them the most natural a oil finish will amber them . a gray could be nice how wide are the oak planks ?
1 Like   August 3, 2013 at 8:04AM
Candri Brizu
The planks are the narrowest ones, unfortunately.... Forget what exactly it is, but standar and narrow size.
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 8:29AM
Window Film
Looking for a recommendation on window film. We have...
my1gmail
"Getting new lighting for my kitchen"
I am getting rid of florescent light fixture above...
mollywheels
Entryway lighting
My entryway is also used as a small eating area in...
amyls64
draperies or blinds?
I'm not sure if I should use vertical blinds or regular...
jkaktus1619
Living Room Layout
Hello! This is my first post here. We have a fairly...
Kayla Ryan