Island dilemma
andreavalero
How do I conceal a garbage disposal In an open island such as this one??!
Brenda
it's not just the garbage disposal ... its the incoming hot and cold water lines, the hot and cold shut-offs values, the pull down spayer hose, the 3" white plastic waste water line and vent line ...

I suspect there is a reason for that strategically placed basket in that photo ... also, it doesn't appear to be the "main" clean-up sink in the kitchen, but just a bar/prep sink.
August 1, 2013 at 10:01am     
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
love the island if that is style you are interested in.....need a contractor, kitchen designer, plumber to respond to your question.

Have you contacted any locally to get ideas/estimates?
August 1, 2013 at 10:08am     
andreavalero
Yes, I am conferring with a contractor.. I am ok with exposed plumbing just not GD or any plastic piles!
This is also my prep/bar sink but still have a GD.
August 1, 2013 at 10:27am   
bubblyjock
How about just boxing in the plumbing, in a timber to match the other woodwork, and leaving the rest of the island open? I agree, though - sneaky basket placement!
August 1, 2013 at 10:40am   
leelee
It's a bad idea--you can't have it both ways. You could have it open mostly but with a column or two that house the water lines etc. Personally, it would look better to have an open island and house your disposal under the cabinets along the wall.
August 1, 2013 at 10:56am   
bubblyjock
I looked at that designer's other Houzz photos, and at their website - they've been VERY careful not to show how that sink is plumbed, lol. No sense in asking them here, either, as they don't seem to reply to Houzzer questions.
August 1, 2013 at 11:11am     
handymam
I think that a basket or a wooden or tin box can be (de)constructed to fit around the pipes as in the pic above.
August 1, 2013 at 11:20am     
bubblyjock
I just searched Houzz under kitchens for "open island" and found this, which imo is ugly because of the exposed plumbing AND might be a total nuisance to keep clean:
reading, pa

And in this one, you can see the gasline (which I suspect wouldn't meet code in some areas):
Diva

I guess you could also box the plumbing into a full cabinet at one end, legs like a table at the other, like this:
Funky Orange Kitchen
August 1, 2013 at 11:21am     
handymam
bubbly, the first pic looks like the pipes are leaking and they put a basin under it to catch water, lol.
August 1, 2013 at 11:23am     
I love, love, love freestanding open islands, but I wouldn't want to put plumbing into one. The whole point is that it is movable, as needed.
August 1, 2013 at 11:25am     
Just curious, why so important to have an open island? Just doesn't seem worth all the grief to expose pipes and storage??
August 1, 2013 at 11:26am     
bubblyjock
@ handmam - that's EXACTLY what I thought (we have exposed plumbing under our temporary sink, and we're forever knocking the cap off the U-bend, or the hoses for the taps, ugh).
August 1, 2013 at 11:28am     
I, OTOH, totally understand the desire for an open island, just not the desire to put a sink in it! ;-)
August 1, 2013 at 11:34am     
Brenda
I agree with feeny. Put the prep sink somewhere else and you have a winner. It's a good look (sans the pipes)
August 1, 2013 at 11:36am     
Feeny- I get your point of it being movable with no plumbing, but this poster is adding plumbing so it will not be moveable. That is why I wonder of it's signifigance.
August 1, 2013 at 11:39am   
bubblyjock
@ andreavalero - I see you tried posting a question to the OP about this island, about the materials it's made from. If it's any help, that looks like a simple stainless steel counter top (you can go custom, which is expensive, or Ikea do them, 2' x 4', or you can try Craigslist, Kijiji, etc, for commercial counters, and re-purpose according to your specs), and the legs look like stained pine, chamfered so they don't look so coarse, 4x4s, maybe 6x6s, so not expensive at all, as do the sides (probably 1x6 or 1x8 planks). Certainly doesn't look like a complicated project! Well, except the invisible plumbing, which might be more of a challenge ;~P
August 1, 2013 at 11:40am   
andreavalero
I wanted an open island because my island is rather large and I wanted to lighten up the room also I am leaning towards a
La Conche Sully 1800 stove and want it visible from family room...if I'm going to pay the bucks to have an enamel stove I want it to show but may be more hassle then I need...
Thanks for all your comments!!!!
August 1, 2013 at 1:04pm     
You can't.
August 1, 2013 at 1:07pm   
bubblyjock
@ andrea - any chance you could have the island the other way on? That way you could have the short end (which would probably be 4' wide) to prep food on, and the sink on one long side. You might then be able to admire your Lacanche Sully (what's not to admire - they're gorgeous!) from the family room, and have your plumbing in the island as well. You could have the side of the island that the sink is on closed in, and the other side open.

How much space do you have, though? It wouldn't be my first choice, but do you have room for two islands? Then you could see the Lacanche between them:

August 1, 2013 at 2:20pm   
OnePlan
Have done one in a wet bar with mirror boxing to hide the water pipes in and out ... Disguised it quite well - and kept the look and feel open still - which was why my client wanted it open in the first place ... Funnily though - went there for drinks a year or so later and they had filled the space below with wine crates - so all that space and concealment was wasted really !! Lol !!
August 2, 2013 at 12:38pm     
Brenda
what did you decide to do Andrea?
September 16, 2013 at 4:09pm   
Kitchen Island pendant light dilemma
We have a 12' 8" island and are in love with industrial...
Kitchen Island Dilemma
How much room should there be to fit an island in a...
Island paint or stain dilemma?
Hi, still in the process of updating our kitchen cabinets....
Dilemma - 3x4 island - 2 pendants - 8'' ceiling - pendants' size Q?
My island is small 3x4 - 8' ceilings - what is the...
island dilemma!!!!
We are doing renovations on our kitchen island. Changing...
Tight spot: What kind of lights should I hang in my master bath?
We are adding a master bath to our home. It is about...
What kind of artwork looks best here ?
I have a huge empty wall in my living room. The room...
Update orange ish oak floors
Want to update the stain of current orange ish oak...
What to put in a corner
We have this corner in our home and we have NO IDEA...
Need help flipping this living room!
Just bought this home. Will have maroon leather couch,...