Need help decorating the living room shelves
jcourtney
These shelves need help! I find decorating them so difficult. As you can see in the photo, I have a fair amount of books and just a few collectibles and pic frames. Any advice is welcome...
jcourtney
I have considered adding crystal knobs with gold now that our children are a bit older and hopefully will not pull the contents from the lower cabinets.
August 1, 2013 at 12:58PM   
I would remove all shelves and add art pieces to inserts. Make them tall and with color. No knobs, to kitchen looking. Add a tree like a palm where you have a plaque on wall. And a area rug. But would like to see room. What style furn are you. Could you put a TV there?
August 1, 2013 at 1:04PM   
All the book weight is on the bottom. I'd take the books from the lower right and put them on the top. A general rule of thumb is 1/3 books, 1/3 accessories and 1/3 empty spaces -spread out. I like that you have some of the books flat. Try that flat book stack next to the stand up row of books. A small knick knack on top of stacked books looks nice too.
August 1, 2013 at 1:08PM        Thanked by jcourtney
PH Interiors, LLC
Accessorizing shelves like these, I think, is one of the most challenging parts of decorating. First, you have a lot of small items. Try fewer but larger pieces on the shelves. Make groupings of like items (odd number) to have more impact. Lay some books on their sides, like you have done, but use only 2-3 books and add a larger item on top, rather than a pile of just books. Some plant life would be good as well...succulents, moss, etc that don't require a lot of light or maintenance. Really need to play around with it. Good luck.
August 1, 2013 at 1:13PM     
jimbob19
I would add some hardware for sure. Maybe if your husband is a hunter you could add some fish or dead animals. I would add a camo recliner in this space too. A bearskin rug...nothing like the cold winternights and having a bare booty on a bearskin rug! Hope this helps. Happy happy happy!
August 7, 2013 at 4:47PM   
annmarie2
Scale is important (as PH Interiors mentioned). You might also want to consider painting the back of the bookcase another color. See attached pic. Accessorizing might not be perfect, but the color contrast provided for some additional interest
August 7, 2013 at 5:05PM     
designer1721
Definitely agree with PH Interiors, LLC imbalance is the problem with the shelves.
August 7, 2013 at 5:07PM   
studio10001
Of course, it also perfectly acceptable to fill your bookcases with books!
August 7, 2013 at 5:08PM   
I need help decorating my living room and dinning room combination
I have an open area space kitchen with a large island...
Need help with decoration tips for our living room / dining room
We have been struggling deciding what to put on the...
Kitchen backsplash ideas??
Need help deciding on a backsplash in our kitchen....
Need paint colour/tile ideas for my bathroom!
So I just bought this vanity with mirror. I need help...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Exterior paint
I need help deciding on exterior colors for my house....
Wall and Window HELP for Dining Room!
I am looking for suggestions on what I should put above...