Stainless steel sink or porcelain?

th61August 1, 2013
We are replacing our countertops with soapstone and I want advice on choosing a new stainless under mount sink, or use the drop in white porcelain one we already have. Any preferences out there?
brolimom
My vote is for stainless (assuming your appliances are also stainless). We moved recently to a house with a white porcelain sink and I can't believe how much I miss my stainless from the former house. One word of advice if you do get stainless...purchase a grate for the bottom. Forks and knives can scratch.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 2:27PM
Dullea and Associates Inc.
Since you are using soapstone I suggest that you go with an undermount stainless sink.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 3:48PM
indianpatti
Between the 2, I would go with stainless. Have you considered a granite composite sink? I have one and LOVE it!! No more "smeary" stainless sink ... never need to scrub. Just use dishsoap when washing dishes.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 3:52PM
I prefer undermount sinks, whichever finish you choose.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 3:54PM
Marilyn Wilkie
I love our porcelain apron sink. I love it so much that we are using the same sink in the kitchen we are doing now in another house. It is really deep and I don't find it a problem to keep looking it nice. I don't like stainless...too noisy unless you spend a lot of $ and they do scratch and smear. Soapstone is a somewhat rustic finish and a farmhouse sink goes well in that kind of decor. But I don't know what style you have.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 3:59PM
pedalva
Have you considered having a soapstone sink? I recently remodeled my kitchen and thought I was going to reuse my big, deep drop-in stainless sink......until I saw a soapstone sink on display at the quarry!
    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 4:21PM
Adrianne
Soap stone will soak in oil and darken in spots that get more oil.. If you have a dark Soap stone you should be fine with a stainless under mount... It would be a good Idea to just keep in mind a porcelain Apron front sink.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 4:26PM
pedalva
Adrienne, I don't know how much experience you have with soapstone, but you darken it first (if you want) with oil. Literally NOTHING shows as long as you keep it clean like any other surface. There is also the option not to darken it, and then it will darken in some spots and not others.....it is completely a personal preference. It does NOT absorb stains nor does it need to be sealed. You may want to do some research and you will see what a wonderful, almost maintenance free surface it is. And no, I do not sell the stuff! Mine was last oiled in February.....it is still dark and uniform with just a weekly cleaning with soap and water. I will be happy to provide pictures if you wish.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 6:21PM
pedalva
Addendum: soapstone does not "soak in oil". It's surface is impervious. www.alberrenesoapstone.com - check out the facts...
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 6:23PM
Adrianne
Whoa.. Easy tiger.. Hataz going to hate..
I sale counter tops for a living.. So thanks for getting all personal..
as I was saying "if you start with dark" I know lots of people that wanted light.. and all around their work areas have darkened.. So apparently... it does soak in.. so by saying "nothing" well yeah something does.. Oil and if it didn't soak in oil it wouldn't darken in the first place. It would just bead up .. and you would just wipe it off..You don't have to make other people wrong to make yourself right.
my name is Adrianne.. Cut an copy it might be easier
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 10:27AM
Adrianne
Their website www.alberrenesoapstone.com says to seal it.. LOL.. why would you seal something that is non porous..
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 10:45AM
cede123
Love my new Blanco Silgranit sink.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 10:54AM
Amanda Fossum Design
You can't go wrong with a high quality stainless under mount sink. So easy to keep clean & won't ever chip!
Soapstone is one of my favorite materials - if it's good enough for chemistry labs, it's good enough for a kitchen!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 11:15AM
Soapstone is defined geologically as non-porous (see link below, section on soapstone's properties). Oil and water leave marks on unoiled soapstone, but these marks are temporary. They are not absorbed into the stone, and they eventually evaporate (though oil marks take awhile). That is why people have to oil or wax soapstone if they want to keep an even, dark finish.

http://geology.com/rocks/soapstone.shtml
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 12:06PM
I vote for stainless. Get a 16 grage. The lower the number the better the quality.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 1:33PM
Adrianne
Consumer reports just did an article on sinks.. That might help your decision.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 2:31PM
pedalva
Thank you, Amanda Fossum Design and feeny. I have looked over the Alberene site and cannot find where it recommends to seal the stone. In fact, they specifically say several times that it does not need to be sealed: http://www.alberenesoapstone.com/faqs

No worries, though. I am not sure where the perceived hostility came from, Adrianne (apologies for the misspelling of your name), perhaps I came on a little strong.

After mulling it over, I cast my vote for an under-mount stainless sink with a rack for the bottom!
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 7:20PM
Beth, could you share the source of this stainless steel work table?
Did you customize it to accommodate the appliances?...
A. Lynn Design
Granite Composite Sink vs Stainless Steel Sink
Which is best? Granite? Granite Composite or SS?...
jacquelyn
White Porcelian Sink or Stainless Steel?
I LIKE the looks of either...my new kitchen will be...
wyndyacre
Stainless steel kitchen sink vs porcelain?
About to do work on kitchen and debating sink element....
Caroline
Pros/Cons of Stainless Steel sink for kitchen
I am getting granite and they are furnishing me a free...
Nancy
How can we change the look of this contemporary home?
My husband and I love this house, but we'd like the...
kaz1212
Need kitchen wall color to tone down yellow cabinets.
We painted our kitchen cabinets and they turned out...
connstein
Need need recommendations on splash material versus trim in tight spot
So I have decided to use subway tile as my back-splash...
oriddlero
Is a kitchen marble sink a good idea? Please help!
Im thinking of doing an integrated marble sink in my...
emmalee21
Wall art? Mural? Paint? Lighting fixture?
What do I do with the large, long and tall wall space?...
gleo625