Competing Focal Points in My Living Room
kimeedraypz
My lovely fireplace mantle sits adjacent to the niche housing my buffet with a mounted flatscreen (husband's idea, not mine ...) This has created a competing focal point ... is it the mantle or the buffet? hmmmm ... :-( How do I make the seemless transition I need ... The whole room is a bit of a conundrum. Okay ... I know the accessorizing stinks (two of everything! lol). Still playing. Thoughts?
vjs12
I would move the accent chair back by the buffet. For the mantle, remove the candle sticks, picture and put an artichoke on each side of the mirror moving out toward the edge. Lower the tv about 6" above the buffet. Remove all the stuff on the buffet. Can you put the couch where the two chairs are? Put the chairs where the couch is? I love the stone fireplace, paint color, and furnishings in the room. Maybe add a large rug to pull it all together.
7 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 3:54PM
Artful Design Interiors
The repeat of symmetry makes the two focal point compete even more.
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 3:56PM
abbyjean
I soooo agree with vjs12 to move the couch so it floats in the room toward both focal points. This way it looks like it has taken sides and the tv wins, but actually, I think it might be tough to comfortably see the tv from there. I cannot tell what the piece of black is to the left of the fireplace, in that area there??? So no suggestions on where to put that smaller chair that is floating by the fireplace right now. The other two should be fine where the couch was, but may need to move closer to the drapes to fit just right there. A rug would really anchor the area. If you try the changes, please post back and we can get the accessories taken care of, too.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 4:04PM
luxilove
Agreed, try moving the couch where the wingback chair is. Remove all items from buffet. Try moving the artichokes out some, closer to where the candles are. Remove the candlesticks for now, and place the picture at an angle in front of one of the artichokes.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 4:11PM
luxilove
I agree that an area rug would help tie the space together and make it a little more cozy.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 4:12PM
That FP really dwarfs everything, including the piano! Looks like you have nice, "real" furniture, but I'm thinking the new oversized styles might work better with that FP. The scale is just skewed and the FP makes your things look like doll's furniture! I don't think rearranging is going to change that. How much change are you ready to make? I'm thinking a tearout and rebuild to a more suitable scale!

1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 4:27PM
Can I suggest something I think will help a lot? i know all your trim is the crisp white, but I think it would help if your mantle was distressed light french gray instead - to look like the age of the stone. It won't detract from your teal and white - i think it could add to it. I would start with sw classic french gray and layer on light french gray and sand the white back to wood before I even started so that as I distress I get wood and white and dark gray and light gray. I would maybe use annie sloan chalk paint so i had lots of control - and distress the white white then paint on old white. You can mix her colors to get several shades - french linen, old white and whatever her charcoal is in sample sizes would mix up to be plenty.

Eventually you might want a little wooden bench in weathered gray to sit just in front of the firebox - that will make a huge difference. I have a room that has made me turn my back on the fireplace with furniture groupings and that one addition made it feel embraced.

I like the small chair by the hearth but I want it to sit angled towards the hearth and away from the grouping like it is by itself. You have a big enough room that you can form different groupings that don't all have to face to center.

I might like the sofa with its back to the entry so I could use a sofa table to provide more entry ooomph, but I think the layout now is nice too. What if you swing the piano out more into the space - maybe even rotate it 180 degrees so the bench at the keys is now also at the fire across from the little seat - I think this layout will embrace the fireplace just fine. Maybe angle the wing chairs towards each other a bit and spread them out after you rotate the piano.

It is a gorgeous room with lovely appointments -
3 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 4:48PM
abbyjean
If we move the couch even tighter with the fireplace and tv, will that help the walk way? It just seems like the couch cannot see a thing from right there???? The two chairs would be more in the window area, and guess they would miss out on the fireplace then. DANG!
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:12PM
kimeedraypz
I'm going to post the redesign photos. I am doing something with these comments!!! I think y'all are going to like it. (Actually, I never speak that way, but sometimes I feel like living in the South obligates me to occasionally tip my hat to colloquialisms!) haha
3 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 5:20PM
abbyjean
Are you kidding me??!!! Did you just snap your fingers and get all that done? At first I did not even recognize the room! I thought it was your inspiration room or something. OH MY! I think if you turn that piano out toward the room a bit, you have achieved perfection!!!
7 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:27PM
luxilove
Oh my gosh! I thought it was a designer room picture!! What a difference just a few changes can make!
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:31PM
abbyjean
See? That is what I thought, too!
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:32PM
luxilove
I see you were able to use at least one of your lamps. It looks even better there !
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:32PM
kimeedraypz
Yay!!! Have I passed design lesson #1? haha. Yep. I got to work! You guys are inspiring! The piano is pushed back to the wall for functional reasons. Being a violinist, it's nice to occasionally give in-home recitals etc.. Having the piano against the wall gives me the perfect acoustics and place to stand. I'll make my husband move it if we ever stage the house to sell. I love the idea from libradesigneye about a bench in front of the fireplace. How about two small square ottomans? Until then, I may play with that accent chair a bit and see if I can find a better spot for it.
1 Like   August 1, 2013 at 5:33PM
luxilove
Not really necessary but maybe a something on the left side of the hearth?
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:34PM
kimeedraypz
Behold the piano ... :-| Blah. But, when it's played ... musical! :-)
3 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 5:35PM
abbyjean
Putting something in front of the fireplace will make it feel more like part of the room. Ottomans or bench....great ideas!
4 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:35PM
abbyjean
Is there room for that chair by the couch where the throw is? Will it be in the way too much?
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:37PM
abbyjean
Well, now that we truly see that part of the room and the angles right there, no problem! No moving that piece! I love it!
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:38PM
luxilove
I noticed the pretty crystal vase with flowers on your DR table. Do you have a smaller vase like that for the piano? or possibly a couple of photos to put up there?
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:39PM
SawHorse Design + Build
Nice transformation and thanks for sharing with us.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:41PM
kimeedraypz
Oh, dang it! You've discovered my weakness ... I have hordes of accessories. Hahaha. I arrange flowers, so that one is one I did a long time ago. I'm sure i can rustle something up for on top of the piano. Great idea!
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 5:43PM
luxilove
Since you like arrangements then, maybe a basket with pretty greenery, fruit etc to place on the hearth. Either in front of the firebox or to the left.
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:49PM
SawHorse Design + Build
By the way- if you live in the South- you have free reign to say Y'all and drink "Coke" all you want. You don't have to be from the South to enjoy the charm.
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 5:49PM
kimeedraypz
Woo Hoo! Pretty much everything here is a Coke. Lemonade is a Coke. Lol. I love living in the South. The flea markets reign supreme! Okay ... I'll keep working, and here's a picture of the new placement of my accent chair (for the time being) and a partially accessorized piano. Looking at it on the photo, I think the scale is wrong. Rather than a collection I should probably go with a big something or other (because of the scale of the room). Re: Ikea furniture--really love that look, but I think I'll stew on it a little longer while I hold onto my silly love for old things. Guilty as charged: a total antique-a-holic. :-) On the other hand, I do like to live dangerously. I've been known to curtsy when the Wal-Mart greeter says "Welcome to Wal-Mart", so you might see some big dramatic industrial elements in this room one of these days. No, I would not put it past myself.
3 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 6:02PM
SawHorse Design + Build
What city do you live in?
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 6:06PM
Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
Hi Kimberlee, I'm wondering if you would consider moving the piano to a different location - maybe float it in the middle of the room in order to place the TV on the wall in place of that piece of art? Is there enough room to create a sitting area in front of the TV if it was placed there? Perhaps the couch could have the fireplace off to its side. If not, did your TV come with an optional stand? If so, you might try putting the TV and stand on the buffet. It will lessen the importance that it draws in the room I think.
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 6:11PM
Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
Just saw the comment about having the piano against the wall. Could you trade the location of the buffet + TV for the location of piano + art?
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 6:12PM
luxilove
Yes, I think the vase needs to be bigger with more greenery
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 6:14PM
luxilove
From this angle it's hard to tell much about the chair....
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 6:16PM
kimeedraypz
Linda--I love where you're going with this. Unfortunately, I have this spouse who keeps getting in the way with his needs for surround sound ... blah blah blah (isn't the piano enough surround sound for him? Put the piano dead center and he'll have PLENTY of surround sound! haha) So, I'm afraid the buffet and TV have to stay put. Argh. If we decide to put this house on the market one day, I might win over and trade the piano for the buffet as you suggest! I like the idea of mixing up the flow. One thing that's also difficult. This is a pass-through room. So, I have to consider traffic flow.
1 Like   August 1, 2013 at 6:21PM
jpp221
I would leave your husband.
1 Like   August 1, 2013 at 6:21PM
kimeedraypz
There's all sorts of nasty ridiculous wiring coming out from that wall behind the buffet. We'd have to cover it with the artwork for sure.
1 Like   August 1, 2013 at 6:22PM
Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
I saw the speakers but weren't sure if you'd be willing to move them. I do like the layout you posted later, though. I feel like the chairs on the sides of the buffet are a bit crowded - but maybe that's just me. perhaps they could create an additional sitting area near the piano? Lovely things at bargain prices!

Actually...just the chair between the fireplace and buffet seems crowded to me.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 6:23PM
kimeedraypz
@jpp221--no way! He does laundry.
9 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 6:24PM
kimeedraypz
Thanks Linda. Yes ... the chairs are a little crowded. You nailed it. Gosh, I really agree and would love to put a seating area around the piano there in the corner. My piano-tuner says never to put a piano by a window, however, so I have that practical person to deal with too. (Will no one in my household join my bandwagon of beauty, symmetry and balance?)
1 Like   August 1, 2013 at 6:26PM
jpp221
If you can't get rid of husband (sigh) consider a small round table in front of the fire with those wing chairs (which don't seem TOO big in the picture--I think). Then there's a reason to sit here, in front of the fire.

But really, men. Can't live with 'em, can't just stick them in a box and take them out when there's heavy lifting. Sigh.
3 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 6:30PM
All 4 Show, LLC
I woud paint the space above the fireplace an accent color! The fireplace should be the focal point, and it will stand out more if u do that! Keep the mantle decor symmetrical but do an asymmetrical arrangement on the buffet....good luck! :)
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 6:35PM
Barnhart Gallery
Hi kimee -- I adore your home and love your style. You've received some great advice and you just keep making it better. I made one tiny change that I think makes a huge difference in making your fireplace and TV/console more balanced, and that is to scootch that floating television down about ten inches, making that area read as one tight unit with the weight to answer the FP. Better viewing at seated eye level too.
4 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 8:09PM
abbyjean
I hope you sat in your new room tonight and maybe watched a little tv or played a little song and smiled the whole time. It must feel like a new place!!! AND I hope when you get up in the morning and come out here to head to the kitchen, you are still smiling at all the ambition you had to get this done. By the way, I just love your way with words!
3 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 8:28PM
mcbriec
I agree with Barnhart that lowering the tv over the buffet will make it look more like an integrated piece of furniture rather than floating in space. In the same vein, I also think it would look much better with a darker more modern piece of furniture. Right now it is fighting with the buffet.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 8:49PM
Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
I agree with All 4 Show on the paint. Something to increase the vertical feeling of the fireplace. Perhaps you could draw an accent color from the dark stone of the fireplace. That would give it some cohesive lift and prominence.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 8:55PM
kimeedraypz
@mcbriec--how about if I painted it a good peacock blue, high gloss finish? :-). That might be the best of both worlds? Paint color suggestions?
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 9:00PM
kimeedraypz
I'm loving the TV down a foot idea. That looks way way better. Big improvement.
4 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 9:03PM
hbmiller
Can't you open the piano lid. I think that would make it dramatic and take up more visual space
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 9:18PM
hbmiller
What about painting the fireplace wall white like the mantle
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 9:20PM
smdrovetto
I love this room! I love the paint colors, the drapes, the arched doorways, the soft furniture, the lavendar chair.
It may not be perfectly arranged but it has a very pretty, eclectic loft feel

Furniture tends to migrate when it comes to TV. Let me guess. The softas position is so your husband can lay down facing the TV? Maybe you could hold the remote for ransom.

I thought carrying on with a cottage style cabinet would go with the softess of your furniture, and the mantel and moulding. I see while I've been drawing someone else gave a similar look.

I extended the cabinet across the wall, but it looked good without the two side cabinets. I added a little subtle color to tie it in further, which would be easy to do to a piece. Ikea has some of this furniture, but homedecorators.com has 2 or three differet lines, some distressed, some with details like bun feet, with add to the soft cottage feel of your furniture. I added a blown glass fireplace screen. May be a little ornate, but I thoght it added a bit of antiquity, pattern, and perfect color.

One thing you could do to add continuity would be to paint either the TV wall or FP wall the same color. Ilike it this way though.
3 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 9:57PM
kimdee24
Nothing to add except to say that this thread made me smile! Looking good!
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 1, 2013 at 11:16PM
house2514
What an improvement! Love it all-rug will finish it off. Don't you just love Houzz!
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 2, 2013 at 4:18AM
kimeedraypz
I do indeed! Wow ... I love that makeover. I am doing that. Sorry, updated pics will be a little longer than a half hour this time. My fairy godmother's nowhere in sight (I think she's tired of these projects). Thank heavens it seems I've found her replacement! :-)
1 Like   August 2, 2013 at 4:27AM
fredine
I love the paint color of your room! Can you tell me color and brand? Your makeover looks great,
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 2, 2013 at 5:58AM
kimeedraypz
So kind of you to say! It's Hirshfield's "Singing in the Rain", (Hirshfield's 0478) but I had it color matched at Home Depot, and I think it was in their system as another brand ... I want to say Ridgeway? My room is on the large side, so I chose a deeper hue for that reason (and to set off my draperies), but be aware it's an intense color. It works like a neutral. It looks blue, but it actually has more green and gray in it.
0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 7:03AM
kimeedraypz
@smdrovetto--I really see what you and mcbriec are getting at. I think at the center of this fight is that buffet ... my beloved antique craigslist find. Well, being from the South, would it be too cliche to say, the buffet needs to be "Gone With the Wind"? Once I move the TV down and address the cabinetry in the niche, I think that corner will make more sense. Either that, or do as Linda suggested and put the piano in the corner and move the buffet to the other side, in which case it would be a focal point for another seating group. Am I getting the hang of this? :-O
0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 7:11AM
abbyjean
I will throw you for a loop and say I love that buffet as is! It adds CHARM to the room as it is one of a kind. I think you will feel better about it when the tv moves down on the wall a bit. I want to say this the right way.......not offensive.....but I do not see this going to a totally glam room, and I hope that is ok. I like the vibes I get from it now, and your pieces are one of the reasons. Your piano/music has a special place now that works for you and no window and sunshine right there to worry about with it.
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 2, 2013 at 7:14AM
kimeedraypz
For in front of the fireplace, what about two of these: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Baxton-Studio-Shrewsbury-Linen-Modern-Ottoman/7866323/product.html, Or these: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Natural-Skirted-Ottomans-Set-of-2/6002325/product.html? Oh, wait ... this is my first time posting on houzz ... is it kosher to add links? :-$
0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 7:17AM
kimeedraypz
@abbyjean--Re: hahaha Totally agree! Glam ... well, I'm sure if I decided to throw thousands of dollars at it, we could get it glammed out, but the people we bought the house from were spewing barn-loving, down-home, brown-suede-faux-finish, rustic right down to the engraved Lone Star on our patio. So, I'm trying to make my uptight, British-Manor, Pemberly-dreaming, silk-loving, 19th-century-worshipping style at least tolerate the rustic, if not (with loads of help from you houzz experts) work with and enhance it. :-)
0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 7:36AM
kristylou
I haven't read ALL the comments but in the few I read, nobody suggested it so I could be way off when I suggest painting the fireplace? It would make it blend in more and the tv area would truly become a focal point. Other than moving the piano out some, I think your changes look great. Would you consider a rug?
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 2, 2013 at 7:59AM
abbyjean
You are doing a great job AND having FUN at the same time.
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 2, 2013 at 8:06AM
SawHorse Design + Build
@kristylou- changing the color of the fireplace could help, however painting it may not make it look better. The pattern of the stone is dated and perhaps taking the stone off and installing a new stacked stone or tile could help modernize it.
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 2, 2013 at 8:06AM
smdrovetto
Hi KimmeedrYpz! I'm sorry I got your name wrong. I've been doing this with no glasses! I have one more idea for youl When I drew the cabinet, I assumed you would be able to find a place of visibiilty for your buffett.

I know how it is to fall in love with a piece. I DO have one more idea for itll Watch for it. :)) But remember, it's about what YOU like and what makes YOU feel good.

I was in grade-school in the early sixties. I had an older sister who always agreed with my mom. In those days you just didn 't wear red and pink together. It just wasn't donel In those days, when we went downtown to shop, we had to wear white gloves, etc.

I LOVED red and pink, but was afraid i'dget socially ostracised. So you do what you want.
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 2, 2013 at 8:17AM
kimeedraypz
Agreed. So many things about this house are dated, but I notice styles down here area good ten years behind. I don't think we'll be able to change the stone right away (though heaven knows I dream of the day!!), but maybe in the far future. For the time being, I'm trying to play nice with the rootin' tootin' underpinnings. :-(
0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 8:19AM
kimeedraypz
@smdrovetto: oh gee ... I must fall into the "old" category. I remember having the same red/pink argument with my mother! Let's declare a houzz.com official red/pink dress-up day. I shall embellish sandals with pink ostrich feather trim, wear red pants, billowy pirate-styled white shirt belted with a heart-studded hot pink belt, topped off with a Great Gatsby inspired headdress in pinks and red, complete with plumes ... :-) Woo hoo! Social ostrization is my MO ... I don't try, but I've gotten so adept at it, I thought perhaps I should embrace it. Often, in these cases, the question is not WHAT to wear, but WHERE to wear it. Plume feathers, IMHO, belong in the dentist's office, Cabela's or visits to the DMV ... don't you think?
2 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 8:26AM
abbyjean
Alrighty then.....on my next visit to Cabella's, plumes it is! Thing is, not sure my hubby will let me accompany him!
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 2, 2013 at 8:54AM
mcbriec
kimeedrayz, I like the idea of painting the buffet peacock blue to give the room some punch. That would take an old piece and definitely make it more modern/eclectic. If you google Hollywood Regency on eBay, you can come up with really cool buffets/credenzas which give both a modern/glam design. They usually are quite reasonably priced.

Agree with others that refacing the fireplace with a thin stacked stone veneer would give the room a more cohesive transitional appearance. But that's easily done in the future when budget permits. I am wondering if it could be plastered in the meantime, but am guessing that the stone is too irregular and rough to be able to do that successfully and not have it project past the mantel.
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 2, 2013 at 9:12AM
smdrovetto
Oh, I don't know.................This would be a "low concept" rendering, where you kind of have to use your imagination.

You could get a narrow, unpainted hutch, and attache it to the buffet without damaging it. I also know about paint effects, but I had to remove my whole comment to change the photo! :)
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 1:16AM
smdrovetto
You could use a mirror frame? (I didn't accessorize very well)
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 1:54AM
smdrovetto
Here is an example of the hutch idea. If you could find a slavage piece like the top of this, it would be awesome!
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 1:58AM
smdrovetto
Kimmee! I take care of my mom, who is 93, and bedridden, and I need new glasses, and I did the same thing others did! I thought those photos were from an ideabook! And you've been so gracious, and I'm just skipping down the lane, La La La! What the hell am I giving YOU advice?

I LOVE that buffet! Did I already say that? I bet you can find some awesome estate sales, etc in the South!

I feel like I just found out I was giving decorating advice to Jaquie Kennedy!!! :) :)

I was upset the other night, and sent an e-mail to one of my cousins, whos a PE Teacher, and big jock. I wanted him to help me do PT with my mom. I know how to do it, but I'm alone here, and I get too tired.

A few days later I got an answer, and I knew immediately I'd sent it to the wrong "Mike", who is a brittle diabetic, and not in good health. I had said I wanted him to be mom's personal trainer! He said in his answer he was doing some research............................Yeah! Research on a good institution for me! :)
1 Like   August 3, 2013 at 2:45AM
kimeedraypz
@smdrovetto: you make me smile!! Sorry for not responding earlier, but yesterday was a busy day what with all the ostrich feather plumes ... and I'm so relieved to know you take your cues from Lucy as I do. Her chocolate factory scene remains the inspiration for my diet plan! Thank you for all the drawings, and yes I DO need your help. Look at the big mess that used to be my overly accessorized with wrong furniture placement living room. It's only getting better, and all these ideas really get my creative juices flowing (not necessarily a good thing ...) I am considering that buffet. I may paint it and maybe even hand-paint the center sections with a chinoiserie-inspired scene. :-). LOL re: diabetic physical trainer!!! Maybe he follows my diet plan too! More later ... @abbyjean: Wear your Ostrich feathers with wild abandon and think of me fondly every time you need to gently discipline your husband. Haha! As for me, I now go to the Home Depot dressed in silk charmeuse with a bedazzled headband to choose a paint color for the buffet.
1 Like   August 3, 2013 at 4:56AM
intoit
Your room is lovely and so inviting. I like the buffet and agree about the tv being a little lower, but otherwise you have done a wonderful job and I've enjoyed your colorful comments.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 5:20AM
abbyjean
Have theeee best time! And smile every time someone whistles at you!!! What a cutie patootie!
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 8:25AM
arnieindy
Ok I'm new to this discussion, but my concern is that you are dividing your room into two areas, with the fireplace being the dividing point. I feel that your fireplace should be the focal point and the midpoint of this room. The home and the bones are lovely and I think that some tweaks will make all of the difference.

So, my suggestion is to mount the tv above the fireplace. I have seen where the tv iis placed on a mounting bracket and can be turned which ever way you would like.
I would then take the beautiful piano and place it in the corner where the tv was, away from the wall angled, with the player could gaze at the beautiful fire, with the windows in the background. (if that seems too crowded, place in the back corner window area.

Then place the lovely buffet where the piano was originally, large picture above. I would most definitely, place the sofa, directly in front of the fireplace, far enough away from it to see the tv properly ,( remember it can be angled downward) The sofa is now in the middle of the room, not off to one side.
If piano is in the front corner by fireplace, then place a sofa table behind the sofa. I would then place two lamps on the sofa table (I know plug in can be a problem) I would then place one chair, at an angle next to the sofa and window (run cords under) with end table between the two. If only one lamp on sofa table, other . on the end table. The other chair directly opposite on the far side of the fireplace angled toward the other chair with a pole lamp behind or beside it.

The buffet can be used to serve drinks etc from,hostess area, place other small chair with it.

Now if you find that the piano is better in the back corner angled, sofa would still be where it is, but them i would place a glassed /solid door unit where the tv was, one that fills the space well and has some height like a book case. I would put collectables/books etc in the part you can see, and the components to the tv stereo etc in the part that you can not. I would then have no sofa table. I would then place the chair on the opposite side of the sofa to balance the room and not be too heavy on the window side as before

Hope this helps. Again I've never gone on to this site before, so hopefully I have explained myself well and you can take some of these ideas
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 9:12AM
kimeedraypz
I completely agree with you. The problem I've faced from the beginning is the traffic flow--this is a pass-through room. The foyer leads to my sunken living room which leads right up to my kitchen and breakfast nook. If I place the sofa in front of the fireplace (the way I would do it 99% of the time), it will block the traffic flow, and visually break the room in a counterintuitive way. I could try it with a sofa table ... I dunno. I keep fighting with the traffic flow issue. Here's the view into the kitchen and the second is view to the foyer. In the middle is where that couch would be pleased to sit if it weren't looking like it was "in the way" due to the two entrances to other rooms.
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 10:00AM
arnieindy
It would CHANGE the traffic flow. I get the concern that walking straight from the dining area you run into the sofa, but what you have is the living room pushed over to accommodate a straight through passage. Perhaps going around the sofa area would actually make it look less like a passage way, and more like a living room etc. give it a whirl, fine tune (moving sofa up a bit) Give it balance with the chairs etc from my ideas and live with it for a while, you might be surprised The good thing about rearranging furniture, is you can always put it back
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 10:25AM
smdrovetto
OMG! That period buffet with a chinoiserie would be gorgeous! You have the perfect frames with the embellishments! How is the finish on that piece?

I wrote a whole bunch on paint effets, and finishes. I used a brand that's recently been sold, but they had the most comprehensive product line, with all kinds of options for furniture finishes and effects. I'll look it up.

Oops! Gotta Go!
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 3:22PM
Love cabinet for media. Good job. Take away all on top of it. No need and fights with TV. If you want something a bowl fill with apples. Less is much better.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 3:40PM
Hope I'm not repeating other post, but rearrange furn with sofa where chairs are now and chairs where sofa was do not put against wall move to center of room. Move sofa so is more in line with fireplace. Add area rug center on floor pace ottoman in front of sofa close. Make rug a print and color. Angle pano into rm more. Have seat looking at sofa more.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 3:45PM
On mantel put candles together on one end. Add one gray item to group. Nothing else.
1 Like   August 3, 2013 at 3:47PM
Add a tree or palm to corner where media and FP is
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 3:48PM
enchant1954
To make it work I would suggest moving the buffet to another location and have built ins alongside the fireplace so there is only one focal point
The built ins would accommodate the TV and additional storage
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 3, 2013 at 11:16PM
kimeedraypz
My spouse, bless his heart, refuses to consider moving the TV to a different location; therefore, competing focal points will probably become part of my every day life and I must learn to humbly accept my fate (your silent prayers of condolences, moments of silence and pity sighs are appreciated). My husband is willing to move the TV down. Under the circumstances, I do think built-ins are the best option. That should help the scale issue. I tried putting my wingbacks in front of the fireplace, but it doesn't solve the FP problem--I still have a major FP with my sofa facing the TV. The elephant in the room is truly the thorn-in-my-side television (what you do not see is that behind the TV is a whole host of wires and mounts etc., for every conceivable surround sound, HD, whatever and etc. option there is). In other words, the TV WILL be on that wall, as much as it pains me to say it :-( Now comes the work of a real decorator--the one who can work magic despite the obstacles and, as the sainted Tim Gunn has been known to say "Make it Work." (too bad I'm not that decorator! lol--can't wait for her to show up ... any Fairy Godmothers in the houzz? Oh wait! Yes there are! I have all of you ...) @enchant1954--that will definitely "make it work"! I've added that piece of advice to my long-range to-do list!
0 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 7:15AM
kimeedraypz
@smdrovetto--the finish is fantastic on that piece, but I've never been a fan of it. I'm ready to paint it. The problem with the "chinoiserie" idea, which I love, is the fact that it won't make that buffet more "low profile". It will be a show-stopper. I almost wonder if after we get the built-ins we could move the buffet behind the sofa (get some higher and prettier sofa feet) and use it as a sofa table. hmmmm .... Or just sell it on craigslist. :-( no fun.
0 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 7:29AM
kimeedraypz
@travisinteriors: I will do all of that ... hold on for pictures!
0 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 7:35AM
curlycook
What about a game table in front of the fireplace? I want to give that fireplace a reason for being in the middle of everything and not impede traffic too much.

1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 7:58AM
Good job. Looks great love window panels. I would get bigger pic by piano. If have Z Galleries check out a baby grand art piece it's striking. Would fit on that wall better. I would also move sofa towards piano, and wing chairs out to center about 12-14" it would balance room more. So you are more centered with both focal pts. I like your media don't change it.
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 8:12AM
eckybabes
Ok, I didn't have time to read everything posted earlier but, I would move that beautiful piano to the corner where the buffet is now. Position it out on an angle from the corner with the key board to the corner. Raise the top of the piano. Use it not only as an instrument, but as an architectural feature. Will be beautiful next to the fireplace. It looks lost where it is. Move the buffet and tv to the wall where the piano was located. Then bring all of your seating furniture off the wall into the room arranging it in a way to enjoy the fireplace, conversation, and the tv. Perhaps put the couch on an angle with the other two chairs to its side or chairs by fireplace facing couch but separated so fireplace is exposed. With furniture out into the middle of the room, it makes for a much more intimate, cozy, inviting place to be. Lamps and tabled can be out in room ,too, by having an electrician wire for plugs reset into floor from underneath. Hang a painting by the piano and quit with the idea that you need two of everything in your accessories. use groupings of one three or five and not all items need be the same. Maybe two of one thing and one of another. If a lamp is one of a grouping, add two more items with it, so you have three. love your house and your stuff. You'll get it. Great taste so far.
0 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 8:25AM
arnieindy
Ok I have a husband too, and they always get in the way of function vs what look good! Bless their hearts. So, if" the Make it work theme" is what we are going for Perhaps:(future wall idea)

One large wall unit with the tv and fireplace as part of it. I would probably change the white to a warm walnut stain and the bookcases would have an arts and craft look with glass and solid doors etc. The tv would be enclosed within the unit and have doors that open and go down the sides of the enclosure, so that when not in use, we don't see the tv.. You could also put the tv on a swing arm so when in use can come out a bit and turned to the centered sofa.The bookcases would go to the roof same depth as fireplace and detail on wall above the fireplace to look like all is built in. I would try and make that wall look like one focal point with a fireplace and tv in it. The feeling would be that of a study and cozy it up. You would want to remove the mantle and have a small one that goes flush with the corner rather than stick out .
Things as they are for now:

The main idea is to add balance to the room. As it is, it is like a ship going down on one side and you want to add balance to the other side of the room. So, with the room as is, now, move the sofa over somewhat toward the centre of room, (and up) but rather than the whole way over , place an end table and one of your chairs next to it on the outside (piano side) Angle the chair toward the tv, sharing an end table with a table lamp on it. That way you have extended that side of the living room without alot of movement of furniture. If a lamp would work on the end table (running cord under sofa) all the better.

I would then place the matching chair in front of the buffet same angle as opposite chair in front of the window. There by leaving most of the window open and adding weight to the tv buffet area. Also bring the buffet forward as little as well. (a pole lamp behind it would also add weight to the tv area)

I would then still angle the piano alittle more and push back if possible. I would also move the picture over on the wall , more toward the piano. You should have some space now before the doorway, perhaps a plant (tall) to soften the area. Also the art behind the piano I would remove and place a floor lamp, if there is room, (again bring over the living room feel)

The area where the tv is seems so lost, by putting the chair near it, would add weight, but perhaps, until you can add a wall unit it would help if you were to paint out the mantle (walnut color) and add some more strength to the tv wall. (paneling, painted in the a warmer color on the browns, would give this wall some weight (the type of treatment that they do 1/2 walls with , only do the whole wall) You could do just some 1by 4 boards and make a grid and then paint the whole wall including the fireplace wall the same color, either warm taupe or light browns ) keep in mind the mantle would have to be painted the brown. That would add some character strength and power to the wall. (and balance it more with the fireplace.)
I would then get some black candlestick lamps that are very tall, or get some blocks and paint them to match the candle stick lamps to raise the height , to give presence. They cannot be heavy though, as it would overpower the fineness of the buffet.

I would then get a huge colorful rug in the living room and perhaps a cushion for the piano bench , again to soften that area.

I just love the feel of your room, and you have so many lovely things. I hope this gives you, some more food for thought
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 8:31AM
eckybabes
If you decide to leave the piano where it is, tweak it slightly out into the room, leaving the keyboard toward the wall. Raise the top to high point. Size of picture will be fine when top is up. Depending on how you tweak piano, you may need to tweak picture.. Play with it and have fun.
0 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 8:32AM
eckybabes
If you move buffet and tv to side wall, don't put tv in middle of buffet. Put it off center to the right and use your lamp to its left.
0 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 8:35AM
eckybabes
Ahhh! Just read a post that suggested you remove fireplace stone. NO, its gorgeous and a big part of the charm of your house.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 8:52AM
eckybabes
You do need some color. Maybe a few bittersweet pillows to pull the color out of your picture and an oriental style rug on the floor.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 9:00AM
Yes you need area rug. Go colors on wall and furn. A sea form green in a print with cream.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 9:05AM
eckybabes
Sorry, i'm on a roll with your house. Just love it and and just read that tv stays. We do have to work with the husbands we have and love. Since he will move it down, try moving your buffet left toward fireplace a bit so tv is off center and put a lamp to the left of it and one other small object by lamp. Maybe a small draping plant.A good height for any picture is about 6 inches above buffet. Your buffet is beautiful. If you do builtins, use it somewhere else.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 9:20AM
chrisinky
Can you move the piano back and angle it some? You have a window with a vase there that looks into the kitchen possibly. Put your piano bench under the window & move your piano to fit with it. That will make the piano face the room instead of looking like it is just pushed to the side. That may also give you space to the right of the piano & by the door to put the small chair that is currently beside the fireplace.

I love your wall color. If you decide to paint the wall above the fireplace, I think a shade or two darker on the same color scale would look nice so that the room still flows but the fireplace is subtly more prominent. Add pillows or some small accent to match the darker paint color on the opposite side of the room.

If the couch location is a problem, can you turn it to angle in the corner with the windows? Then you could put a wing back chair on either side of the couch with the small table going between the couch and the chair that will be in front of the windows. You will need something tall behind the couch in the corner like a tall plant or floor lamp.

I also agree with some kind of rug depending on your style. Wait until you decide what you are doing with everything else & find something that brings all your colors together. I'm thinking something a little whimsical and unexpected to match your personality.

Angling some of the furniture will make the room open up as one instead of being blocked off in sections.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 10:06AM
quatorze
Offhand, I think that if you were to paint the fireplace flue wall and its sides in a soft brown, like the lightest color of the stone and the curtains, it would give the mantel greater presence while still tying it into the scheme of the room. brown and blues of similar shade look great together.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 10:09AM
kimeedraypz
Thank you all! @quatorze: I quite agree! I had thought of a brown/grey color like SW 7044 or SW 7016 (Sherwin Williams Amazing Gray or Sherwin Williams Mindful Gray). Or, one notch down which would be Dorian Gray or Intellectual Gray). What do you think? Things are starting to come together. Soon I will have pictures to post of a rearrangement of furniture. Rug and painted buffet come later. Yes, I've decided to paint the buffet with chinoiserie inspired center sections :-) Any suggestions for the color of the buffet? I was thinking something on the ivory side (sorry smdrovetto, I will need to save the red/pink combination for another furniture piece ... haha).
0 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 11:32AM
chrisinky
If you paint the buffet ivory, I would go with a darker ivory so it won't look like it & your white trim just don't match.
1 Like   August 5, 2013 at 12:02PM
kimeedraypz
Or a buttercream yellow, perhaps ... hmmm ... spring green to match my draperies?
0 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 7:02PM
ctirone
Do you ever use the fireplace? If not, i'd suggest you mount the TV above it. Then Shift all the furniture to the center of the room. you can use that console table behind the couch.
0 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 7:14PM
sbuchs
This is my first time using Houzz and you guys are just cracking me up. Who knew decorating could be so fun.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 5, 2013 at 7:22PM
sbuchs
I a so looking forward to seeing your new posts.
0 Likes   August 5, 2013 at 7:23PM
arnieindy
I can't wait to see the end result, as this is my first time on this site. Seems we are all interested in the outcome! lots of pictures! Enjoy
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 6, 2013 at 6:17AM
kimeedraypz
Me too ... I'm still fighting with the perfect arrangement, but it's coming! :-) @Linda Zaff--I am really interested in floating my piano more towards the center of the room the way you suggested. I wish you were here, and could tell me just what angle and exactly where to put my chairs ... my room is big enough for more than one conversation area, but my brain is having seizures trying to manage it! @ctrione: yes, there are several of you in the TV above the fireplace camp, and I could almost join you over there except this aversion I have towards the TV. I am consigned to live with it and play nice with it . I will tolerate it, but I refuse to give it the place of honor it is demanding--not even for art's sake. HA! Take that TV! To do so would be tantamount to allowing a leg lamp to glow from my front window ...
2 Likes   August 6, 2013 at 7:34AM
yoboseiyo
oh don't sell that pretty buffet!
get taller feet for the couch and use it as a sofa table!

and the only thing i would really do any different is angle the piano into the room a little bit, just to make it more a part of the action of the room, rather than just a pretty piece of decor that's not used much.

as for a rug, i'd get something with a pattern or texture, but not overwhelming. maybe a sisal, or a pale shag-style for some softness and texture.
something like this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-City-Sheen-Gold-Polyester-8-Ft-x-10-Ft-Area-Rug-CSHEEN810GD/202981101#.UgEcMvrD_IU
obviously that's kind of expensive, but i was meaning that style, for the texture. (if you really like it though, it comes in lots of colors, and it's very soft to the touch.)
0 Likes   August 6, 2013 at 8:56AM
kimeedraypz
Take a look, everyone! :-) I painted my wall, moved the television down and moved the piano into the room. I've been experimenting with different furniture arrangements too! Thanks so much for all the advice. Still working on it ...
2 Likes   August 8, 2013 at 5:45PM
smdrovetto
Kimee! You are hilarious! You're like the modern day, American, Jane Austen!

I really agree with you about the TV. More and more, I am giving less prominence to technology,........ period! (Although I AM using it now!.......... But I mean it!) It's just creepy how the purveyors are succeeding at making it so all consuming.

I've had a pet peeve for YEARS, about (mostly local, but NOW you can't escape it!) the "friendly news". Would it be too much to ask to just have the damn news accurately reported?

Also, I think the TV's mounted on fireplaces are often too high for healthy, comfortable viewing.

Gosh, I love seeing your photos! Your house is just beautiful! I absolutely LOVE your wall color with the lavendar chairs, etc. It is a very elegant, but with sense of fun. Your personality really shows!
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 8, 2013 at 6:17PM
lucykoch
Search Houzz for "hidden TV". You can frame a TV easily, they'll do that at Michaels and similar places.
There are three options:

1. Just a frame - an improvment over the big black box.

2. A frame with view-through glass - that would give you a large mirror over the buffet (a very traditional look) but when the Tv is on, its totally viewable. I would also consider painting the wall speakers - I understand, mine is an audiophile too

3. You can frame the Tv as art. Inside the frame is a small track and an art canvas raises and lowers sort of like a roll up shade. You pick your canvas and now you have another lovely painting in the room, unless its TV time.

I think option 2 would be my favorite, and I bet it would be an easier sell to the husband, there's something of a spy flavor to it. Having the large mirror the rest of the time would really lessen the focal competition and would likely bring more light into the room as well.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 8, 2013 at 7:38PM
lucykoch
Oh, another possibility with hiding the Tv is that you could add sconces or buffet lamps and it would look like it makes sense. Either one of those flanking a flat screen would look odd but flanking a big mirror or art piece would make sense. You already have power right there so wiring might not be too difficult.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 8, 2013 at 7:47PM
kimeedraypz
Ooooohhh ... "spy flavor." Now we're talking. Loving the whole "observation room" vibe that might promote. That way, my kids will believe me when I tell them I'm always watching ... every move they make (totally in the "Sting" sense ...) All Mothers are basically ninjas incognito. We show up with their homework and band instruments when they forget them: mind-reading. We know when they're snitching the cookie dough behind our back: third eye. We magically appear in the TV room to scold our children when they were supposed to be working on homework: invisibility. Actually, invisibility is granted to every Mom from the time her kids are old enough to throw their stuff all over the house knowing at the end of the day it will magically be put back in place. See? Ninjas. Yep ... I think I deserve that "spy" TV. Besides, it gives me the perfect backdrop to display my nunchuck collection. ;-) @smdrovetto: you are too kind! I am not even worthy to hem the underside of a handkerchief Miss Austen sneezed in! (though I do often wonder if fans in the 19th century were as ridiculous as those in our own century tend to be in prizing items such as sweaty scarves owned by Elvis ...)
0 Likes   August 8, 2013 at 8:00PM
smdrovetto
Will I get millions of dollars as the creator, like Sam Simon, (H-Y-S-T-E-R-I-C-A-L creator of "The Simpsons") still gets, and hasn't done anything with the show (he said he became a monster) for ten years, with this suggestion that you get your own talk show?

He was interviewed a few years ago on "60 Minutes", and talked about how his laptop suddenly turned up missing fron his desk. He was outside a week or two later, and happend to see a corner of it (still open) sticking out of the ground, like a hand from a Stephen King book. His dog, jealous of his attention, took it off the desk (opened) and buried it in the back yard! This is just my favorite, and another example of how we must never underestimate canine intelligence!
1 Like   August 9, 2013 at 1:17AM
smdrovetto
I also meant to say how I do love the gentility of the South. Looking at your photos, I thought I would love to steal your colors, fabrics.......................................I'll just drive a truck down and load everything in!

I've lived my whole life in the Northwest, which is beautiful, etc, etc, However, we are a bit stuffy. YES, we are! And I am picturing the reaction to just lavendar from the male perspective, mostly, farless lavendar velvet! We wear ski jackets with our springwear and sandals, in the pouring rain.

My grandmother, who was Canadian, always stressed the importance of wallpapering the interior of closets to make the house look finished. I love that, actually, and it DOES make a difference.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 9, 2013 at 1:42AM
kimeedraypz
Actually, I haven't mentioned it until now, since you seemed to love my lavender, and I didn't want to spoil your dream, but actually the color is slate gray. Apparently the lighting as captured by my iPod is doing funny things to the colors in the room. Everything in there is a blue/gray/green color, spring green, gray, blue or brown. Please don't be crushed! I DO have purple in both my dining room and my bedroom! Pictures later ...
0 Likes   August 9, 2013 at 7:38AM
kimeedraypz
P.S. "My own talk show" would be the fulfillment of every nightmare, anxiety, dread, horror and jitter-causing worry my spouse, parents and family at large experience. It's a heavy burden they silently bear, and no one has more respect for their plight than I do ...
0 Likes   August 9, 2013 at 7:45AM
smdrovetto
Well, we could make sure we had a crack legal department, and it could be pre-recorded for editorial review!:):) Would it end up with you just saying, "Hello!"............Cut to a test pattern for an hour?

I know how it feels, though, I can't utter a syllable, without my husband's immediate response being, "I'm not paying for it." He never knows if he's going to come home, and a wall will be missing. Also, my best friend is an ARNP, and her husband's a doc, and i'm not entirely sure if the three of them banded together, that they could get me committed! :)

I AM crushed about the (lavendar) velvet! But it DOES mean I could make it my own without feeling like I stole your idea! Grey must be gorgeous, too, after looking at the photos!
0 Likes   August 9, 2013 at 12:13PM
smdrovetto
Okay Kimee!

Just one more.............
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 9, 2013 at 7:10PM
smdrovetto
I didnt read it carefully, but there was some talk about changing the stone. I think you could do that if you want a different look, but I think the molding refines it a bit, if that's what you were going for. Personally, I love the rustic look, and juxtaposing. And I can't think of anything but the molding, and cabinets that would tie the spaces together, and use the buffet.

Don't be offended by my continued removal of your artichokes! I really like them, but when I use the beige in the cabinets, they just got lost. :)
0 Likes   August 9, 2013 at 7:15PM
The firepl stone is cabin feel to it. You are more formal. Yes, change sone to a cream stacked stone, with a little gray and gold tones.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 9, 2013 at 8:44PM
smdrovetto
I didn't see your response to me about painting the buffet. I see what you mean about making it a show, stopper, but with something like my new little art project, you could paint it in coordinating colors, and have it right in the middle. I think that would look beautiful. And maybe the bottom cabinets on either side could be painted to coordinate with it. But your idea about raising the sofa, and using it with that sounds like it might work, too. I'm glad you don't like the finish, so that wont be something you really like, so it will match!
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 10, 2013 at 7:13AM
kimeedraypz
@travisinteriors--oh man, you've got me pegged! Haha. I try so hard to be casual, but the silk keeps calling my name ... Actually, I'm thinking maybe this cabin/rustic fireplace can work. My concept is: prissy new landlady comes to rustic hunting lodge and adds a woman's touch design scheme :-). That's how I save loads of money. You don't have to redesign, just redefine! I'm thinking about writing a book about it ... :-) haha

@smdrovetto: yes, all in good time! I have plans now (bwahahahahahaha!) *said while rubbing my hands together licking my lips and grinning ... wishing to raise one eyebrow too, but being completely unable to manage an effort of that level of coordination*
0 Likes   August 10, 2013 at 8:48AM
smdrovetto
Hi Kimee!

If you see something that looks incoherent, it's just that I am. What I meant to say above (but somehow I think you are able to translate what I write into English!) was, I'm glad you dont like the finish, so changing it isn't something you have to resort to to make it work.

Oh, yes! You could write a whole SERIES of books! Listen, I was loosely acquainted with one of the guys who wrote those "Chicken Soup...............those great literary pieces...........Let's just say, you MUST seriously consider a book or "you know what"!!

I forget where or what I say or write (or "do", or "think") So if I repeat myself, ..........but your thoughts about re-defining are SO true.

My mother is originally from Canada, and I used to love going to Victoria to visit my aunties. Auntie Bessie would make us lunch that seemed so special, and give us Pears soap. You couldnt buy it in US then.

But my grandmother, who was a 4' 8", ball of industry, used to say, "Bessie can make a meal out of anything".

Little did she know, that I would adopt that as a rule to live by. But, you're right! I always try to think of how I can adpat what I already have, too.

My grandmother, and her sisters grew up on a dairy farm, and figuring out how to do something was just second nature, because they didn't have anybody else to do it. She lived with us, and was quite a roll model.

She milked cows from the time she was six, and was still willing to rub my neck when she was in her late 80's, but I'd have to tell her to go easy, because her hands were still so strong, she'd hurt me.

She loved "Bonanza" because of the beautiful "scenery".:) And my mom would "whisper yell" at us kids when we would make fun of Lawerence Welk, saying, That's the ONLY show your grandmother watches.......

Oh, you know what else I was thinking? The legs of the buffet look pretty delicate, but I was wondering if painting it, and adding some casters, if it would support a piece of marble,(or glass) and work in your kitchen, or just add mobility so you could move it easiy to use during the holidays, etc. But, I would imagine the back is not finished, so it would have to be against a wall..............................but as you say, "All in good time, my pretty!"
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 10, 2013 at 2:04PM
kimeedraypz
I love your Grandma and Auntie Bessie already! We must come from similar people (I'm an Idaho native, actually) ... I have fond memories of watching Lawrence Welk while my mother put those awful pink sponge curlers in my hair on Saturday night to have me ready for church in the morning. I can still sing that silly song "Good-night, sleep tight and happy dreams to you ..." and every once in a while I have a nightmare interspersed with bubbles and polka music. :-) heh heh.

Actually, that buffet is a war horse. Our house is so large (Texas people built it--when they say "everything is bigger in Texas", they MEAN it), it totally dwarfs the scale of the buffet. Those are not delicate legs. A piece of marble would be really cool ... right now I'm formulating colors and design plans for painting that piece. That will not be an easy project. Even more difficult will be convincing my husband to let me do it. He LOVES the finish on that piece and he's horrified at the thought of the work I would have to go to to paint it. He's not always as confident in my abilities as he should be ... I've handpainted furniture before, and it always turns out wonderfully, but it doesn't stop him from worrying nonetheless. I do like the caster idea for mobility ... but then I will have to consider what to do concerning the height should I ever decide to use it as a console table behind the couch. Hmmm ... decisions, decisions. :-)

I'll have to take a hiatus for the time being, however. I'm also a composer, and I have a composition lesson coming up, which means I'll be in anguish, misery and joy on a continual loop for the next few days while I work on an "agitato" movement of a Sonata for cello and violin! Woo hoo! If you hear a bit of "good night, sleep tight and happy dreams to you ..." during the middle of an agitato movement, you'll know who inspired it. Who knew? Lawrence Welk bubble-gum music as fuel for angst and tension?
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 8:59AM
smdrovetto
Oh, Kimee! You brought back so many memories! I haven't thought of that song in years, and my mom used those same pink rollers! I'm from Seattle, born here. We went on vacation to Lake Coeur d' alane, which I still remember as being so gorgeous. We would spend 2 weeks at Sun Lakes near Coulee City in eastern Washington, with a couple of families were hop farmers.

Have fun with your lessons! Wow! I know you are multitalented!
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 13, 2013 at 1:26PM
ACHLA Designs
A big enough area rug to cover most of the room is a good idea, also paining the mantel to match the buffet or the stones from fireplace will help tie the two. Moving the TV down will is good idea, as it should be at eye level when sitting down anyway.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 14, 2013 at 7:45AM
enchant1954
I still feel custom built ins or if on a budget Ikea bookshelves with added molding would look fantastic. Paint the mantel the same color for a very custom look. Trying to make the buffet work in that space seems counter productive.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 14, 2013 at 11:34AM
Dorota Mitoraj
Would you consider a beautiful rug?
More on www.domirugs.com
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 14, 2013 at 11:46AM
britneylindsey
Thank you for posting pics of the mantle with it changed around!!! You have such a beautiful home, it looks so cozy & pretty, makes ya want to move in!
2 Likes   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 14, 2013 at 12:12PM
smdrovetto
Hi Kimee

LTNS! That was a very sweet note. How did your cello lessons, and composition go? Going? I miss your incisive wit, and appreciation of the "theater of the absurd"

I was watching "Kindergarten" on HBO, at about 4AM, in my very full life I lead, and they were interviewing pairs of 1st or 2nd generation Asian-American children. One little boy was asked who his heros were, and he said, "Steve Jobs and Warren Buffet. "

A little girl that they kept coming back to, who was totally glam, all decked out in "Hello KIty", and wanted to be a singer, actress, etc. Really cute.

At the very end they asked her if her dad was born in the US. She had to think, and put her finger to her temple, and said, "No." "He was born in Texas" Hilarious.
1 Like   Thanked by kimeedraypz    August 25, 2013 at 4:44PM
A living space with competing focal points: where do we all sit?
This is my almost ready family room. (Apologies for...
gobbitt
need help with focal point of my small living room
This is the wall you see when you enter my living.room....
Marta Scorziello
Marta Scorziello
Should a living room have two focal points
We are building a new home with a gas fireplace. Some...
seders4
Living Room w/ 2 Focal Points!
Our living room has a huge built in book case on one...
Jessica Hunter
Office-den needs a facelift
My office/den was filled with dark, traditional furniture....
deborahjarman
Old woodwork: To paint or not to paint
The woodwork in our new (old) home is a mix of oak,...
sdegarmo
Wood Floor Choice!!!! Down to 3 Options...HELP
I have narrowed it down to 3 flooring options...feel...
mark617
All white walls look
I loved all the pictures of the all white wall look...
debovalencia
Need help for my living room
hi to every one i have 2 red sofas and a black...
kareine