Decorating dilemma
melmelmacca
Hi there,
I live in a two bedroom home in Melbourne Australia. We have a little 2 year old boy and a small kitchen, dinning and living area. I'm after some inspiration...maybe how to re decorate, rotate furniture, art work and creating an area for my son to play? I'm board with the look.
I'm also wondering if I should get a smaller dining table?
Some help would be much appreciated :)
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Sitting in the round is a great way to encourage conversation - a round table that sits 4 everyday would be more intimate. I also feel all of your design elements "match" in colour and make our home feel more like a temporary hotel room - not really personal. Spa blue paint tones would add an uplifting feel and colourful artwork and Ross cushions in bold multi colours will be fun for your son.
August 1, 2013 at 6:37PM     
I think if you removed the loveseat and float a chair/ottoman there, it would free up a lot of space. I think your dining table size is fine. I'd paint the walls a pretty color for a fresh change. If you removed the loveseat, there may be a large enough play area there. New chandeliers hung lower in the spaces would liven up the areas as well. Teal on the walls (even just accents if you're a bit afraid) and orange accents would liven the room up.
Star Pendant Chandelier
Eero Saarinen Style Womb Chair and Ottoman Set in Orange
Personal Client at the Aria
August 1, 2013 at 6:38PM     
Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
Hi, I really like the space. I'm wondering if you are open to changing lighting fixtures? I, too, noticed that chandeliers seem high for the shape of fixture. You might consider fixtures with a different shape - perhaps something a bit taller or with more complexity of design. Bubbles Glass Modern Chandelier Solaria Large Light Dining Room Lighting Ceiling You could also used colored fixtures to bring in accent colors. If you would like a big color change, you could repaint the walls with either a more intense color or a darker neutral gray to complement the furniture. You could also bring in some accent colors taken from the fireplace.

Would you consider turning the table 90 degrees? Then, you might be able to enhance the fireplace as a focal point (and people won't be sitting with their backs to it.) You could add some art work - perhaps even a funky wall mural or mirror - above or add a different material to the wall above the mantel to increase the visual height of that element. You could also display a collection of something interesting like vases on the mantel. Venetia

At the opposite end, where the TV is located, you might consider putting in a set of cubbies for shelves. If you wanted to have a set custom made, you could set the TV within the middle and have a column of cubbies on each side. Something like this - but much smaller. Family room
That would give you more storage space for toys and books...I know I have plenty of storage space for my kids!
August 1, 2013 at 6:44PM     
Designs by O'Brien
COLOUR- Your house is screaming for it! Colour blocking- the lower half has been wainscoted- so go to it! Purple( red purple -like a red wine)- in the kitchen will make the cabinets sing, red- Louisiana Hot sauce- B Moore, green- Nantucket grey or Baffin Island, blue- something blue green....
Why is your tv so high? Lower it to about 24" bottom from the floor line. Kink in the neck....Like the wall graffiti
white- semi gloss for the trim.
"We live in colour- We die in beige"- Tracy O'Brien
*No more flat paint-Eggshell/ Satin/ Pearl please...Flat is an excuse to not paint well or care about your walls.
Flat hides sins...but is non scrub-able....
Enjoy! Live in a crayon box....far more fun!
August 1, 2013 at 6:45PM     
debraney
I'm one who loves color, but I like the serenity of this space with its more neutral tones. The fresh fruit, a boy's toys, and images on the TV screen inject color, but meanwhile, it's so peaceful with the calm neutrals.

I like the idea of replacing the loveseat with a chair/ottoman. That would be easy to move out of the way when your little boy wants to set up a racetrack or build a castle with blocks.
August 1, 2013 at 8:49PM     
abbyjean
Turning the table would also help break up the look with the love seat opposite it, too. I love the idea of the toy box under the writing on that wall. It looks like there would be room there for one. Then he can be right there to play while you are preparing meals and writing at the table.
August 1, 2013 at 9:15PM     
Jemden Interiors
I love the neutral colour palette but I think it would be nice to add some colour with cushions like a duck egg blue. A rug would be nice with a pattern or a bit of texture and some ottomans and even a wicker side table that are great for moving around and sitting on if you are entertaining more people. Similar to ones I have pictures attached.They are great when you have a toddler because they dont take up as much space as a coffee table and they are light so can be moved around easy. love the large clock you have on your mantle but I think it would be nice to lean some family photos up to create a bit of height to that area. I am also in Melbourne (Eltham) Hope this helps you with your decorating. Have fun
August 17, 2013 at 3:02AM   
basement dilemma, how to decorate???
I have a long, narrow basement. I am having trouble...
Console Dilemma- decorating on a budget
Hello, I had a store credit at West Elm and was...
Teen girl bedroom decor dilemma
Please give me suggestions on what we should do to...
Decoration dilemma
I am having a hard time making this look good I have...
Type of granite edge for island?
I am building a lake house, and will have a 10' island...
Kitchen Remodel
I plan to update my kitchen with new appliances, sink,...
I Need Help Designing My Bedroom
I'm a military child and we are buying a new house...
Engineered wood or renovate existing floor?
I currently have wood floors in my victorian house,...
Declutter Challenge! - August 2014
I don't know about you, but I have several areas in...