Fix this plan!
lsandera
I am getting frustrated and need help! We are going for a Craftsman/Mountain look and this plan we just got back looks Colonial to me with the gables. At this point I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?
Fred S
Are the dormers all real, is there a room/ second floor behind each of the 4 upper windows?
August 2, 2013 at 4:04AM   
lsandera
Nope. Ranch house plan with the dormers inserted into the front elevation to add dimension to the home.
August 2, 2013 at 4:20AM   
Fred S
A craftsman style house has to be proportionally accurate to look right. If the dormers and windows are not big enough to actually use, then it won't look right. If they are big enough to use, then you might as well use them. At least put a bonus room in the trusses. It does not look colonial to me either. It just looks like a rancher with fake dormers. Is the garage supposed to be at an angle? Typically, the style you are after is a bit more compact, not spread out like a rancher. I think you were closer on your last post, but the comment on that post would still apply. The builder is trying to build the roof with simple trusses spanning from front to back. That is the beginning of the problem. The styles you are looking for do not do that. Find a couple examples of what you think it could look like and post them here for reference. Is there a basement? I would need you to post the floor plan to make any real good suggestions. Are there any particular dimensions the house has to conform to, ie is it on a city lot or a sloped lot?
August 2, 2013 at 5:03AM     
Agreed, the dormers are not proportional with the house. Here are 2 examples of 'craftsman ranch'.

Craftsman Style Rambler

Craftsman
August 2, 2013 at 5:48AM   
lsandera
Hi Fred. Attached is the main floor plan as well as the "look" that we are going for.
August 2, 2013 at 5:49AM   
lsandera
Dytecture - we are looking for more of a mountain plan than a craftsman plan. We want a "rustic" look to our home.
August 2, 2013 at 5:50AM   
lsandera
Fred S. There is a basement. The lot is one acre with a walk-out basement. It does not slope one way or another and there are not any particular dimensions that we would need other than the house needs to be a minimum of 2100 square feet on main floor as well as three car garage.
August 2, 2013 at 5:52AM   
Fred S
Hi Isandera, do you know what the roof pitch is on the main roof? Do you want vaulted ceilings? I am having trouble seeing the floor plan on my phone. It looks like the main living room would be vaulted. There are two types of vault, scissor truss or framed. Has your builder explained the two, and which are you looking for? With a basement, I would need to know where the walls are down there so they can be utilized for bearing if possible. If the plan is a pdf file, maybe you could email them? How tall of ceilings do you want in the house?
August 2, 2013 at 4:03PM      Thanked by lsandera
lsandera
Hi Fred S. I am attempting to attach pdf's to here. I am not sure how to e-mail to you? We do have vaulted ceilings in the main living room. I am not sure the difference between the two vaulted or which one we chose. We want 9 foot main level and basement and then vaulted in the living room.
August 2, 2013 at 4:33PM   
lsandera
Ahh...wouldn't let me attach PDf's.
August 2, 2013 at 4:34PM   
Fred S
A scissored vault is 1/2 the pitch of the outside roof. It is easier because it does not require beams.
August 2, 2013 at 4:50PM   
Help. Need to fix boring & unbalanced remodel plans
I asked for a modern update to our 1950s split and...
Floor plan does not make sense! Help fix PLEASE!
Moved into new house. Looking for ideas to help with...
floor plan to fix bathroom problems
I tried to attach this revised plan to my "bathroom...
To fix or not to fix - advice needed for cracked bathtub
I have a 26 year old bathtub with surround that is...
Tons of little fixes needed. Have to decide on simple fix...or go WOW!
mostly comes to money....will the investment be worth...
Do I need to seal my grout?
We just got our kitchen floors professionally tiled...
Curtain dilemma,
The rug is coming out and I'm thinking of putting in...
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...