Great Room Update Needed
lindafitzgerald
Having lived with this room for 13 years without ever liking any of the arrangements we've had, I need ideas! Room is 13 (wall to cabinets) by 21. Lots of cabinetry. We had the fireplace mantel lowered a few years back to accomodate the flat screen, but it is still high, and not thrilled with how it looks. On the plus side, I am able to view it from the kitchen.
lindafitzgerald
More photos
August 2, 2013 at 8:59AM   
lindafitzgerald
more photos
August 2, 2013 at 9:02AM   
abbyjean
What a fun and cozy home you have made! One of my favorite pics is the ottoman with the tray on it. Just a few things to maybe try. I would love to see the two matching chairs set up together over in front of that window area and a table between them for cups/glasses. The one that is there may just work, so the other chair can just be added by it. Center the couch on the wall. I apologize if it is now, but it does not appear to be in the photos. It looks off balance with the pics on that wall and would be great centered under them. Lower those pics so they are about 4-6 inches from the back of the sofa. Again....a small thing to change. See if there is room for the smaller wooden chair to go to the right of the couch still and then the flow to the dining room is a little freer and the wooden things have some room between them.
August 2, 2013 at 9:05AM     
abbyjean
Maybe try a pillow in the patterned chairs.....a lumbar type, with an accent color.....burgandy? Try something different on the couch for pillows other than the ones that match the chairs. It is ok to have a pattern there even though you have pattern with your chairs. Find the same colors to work with.
August 2, 2013 at 9:10AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Great ideas! The chairs are not actually the same. One is a wingback, the other a recliner. Do you think they would still look good together? I will try moving the sofa. Right now it is centered to face the fireplace and TV:(
August 2, 2013 at 9:11AM     
abbyjean
You need bigger pieces in the cabinetry in those two larger areas. Maybe even a piece of art hung in it???
August 2, 2013 at 9:13AM        Thanked by lindafitzgerald
abbyjean
They will be fine together. Arrange them so the one you love the most to watch tv is still able to serve that purpose for you. See what it looks like.
August 2, 2013 at 9:14AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Would love to lighten/brighten up the room. So many shelves!
August 2, 2013 at 9:15AM     
I would fill in the stair wall from about two steps up., just on the living room side if possible. If not move the sofa to the right and get it away from the railing. Two wings on either side of the t v. Matching mirrors inside the niches in the wall unit. New pillows on the sofa and replace (one of my peeves) the stock post on the stair rail.

Would you consider painting that entire wall in white?

August 2, 2013 at 9:15AM        Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Not sure what you mean by the stock on the stair railing?
August 2, 2013 at 9:17AM   
abbyjean
I would put some of the books on your shelves lying down and maybe even use some of the smaller framed photos layered with them. All your books seem to be in one area.......move them around and have them in different areas. I think the smaller ones in the large area makes that large area look even bigger.
August 2, 2013 at 9:18AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Yes would love to paint it!! Will it look alright with the rest of the woodwork?
August 2, 2013 at 9:19AM   
The end post..Conard Romano Architects
Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.

I just think that something like these squared off post look so much more custom and tie in with the trim on your wall cabinet.
August 2, 2013 at 9:20AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
abbyjean
If nothing goes in that container on the hearth, I would move it.
August 2, 2013 at 9:21AM   
papillon2
If you would consider painting some of the bookcases white as Judy suggested, that would make the biggest difference in terms of lightening up the room. Maybe start with the bookcases on both side of the fireplace, see how it goes and whether you like it or not, before you paint the wood around and above.the fireplace.
August 2, 2013 at 9:47AM        Thanked by lindafitzgerald
papillon2
To see examples, search on this site for "painted white bookcases" and choose traditional home style........
August 2, 2013 at 10:10AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Any suggestions for the TV? The room is difficult due to long, narrow dimensions.
August 2, 2013 at 12:02PM   
lindafitzgerald
not sure where all furniture should be placed.
August 2, 2013 at 2:12PM   
abbyjean
Are you thinking about taking the tv down and putting ART right there? Need help with where it goes and THEN how to arrange the room?
August 2, 2013 at 2:43PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
abbyjean
Just wondering about measurements and a rough idea......does the couch FIT if it gets floated between the dining room and this room?
August 2, 2013 at 2:44PM   
abbyjean
FOR FUN, have you ever thought about switching the two rooms around and making this fireplace room your dining room? Think how fun it could be to dine with a fire going? The long narrow table would fit there wonderfully and we could then have FUN arranging that windowed area for your living space. FOR FUN!!! Thinking outside the box.
August 2, 2013 at 2:46PM        Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Not sure my husband would give up the fireplace with TV area. But I do love thinking outside the box!! I have had the couch floating between dining and living, so I know it fits. Have also had it angled. Room dimensions are 13x21. Would love help with having TV down and where all should go. I will also attach photos showing two chairs by windows and sofa centered under photos. So appreciated the help.
August 2, 2013 at 2:58PM     
lindafitzgerald
Oops.....ignore top right photo! Here are some others.
August 2, 2013 at 3:00PM     
abbyjean
There is something I do not like about the couch being so off centered with the tv/fireplace, even though it is then centered on the wall. I am loving the chairs together and would like you to try one more thing before we move the tv. Can we try a grouping focused on the tv/fireplace instead and put the couch in that window area where the chairs are now....still have the ottoman in front of it, so it will be back far enough so the ottoman does not interfere with the fireplace. Then put those two chairs across from the couch. Pay no attention to the shelves, as those can become a part of the room no matter where the furniture would be.
August 2, 2013 at 3:04PM        Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
As many times as we have re-arranged furniture in this room, this is one we have not tried. It looks pretty good! I will try to get some pictures posted tomorrow or Sunday.
August 2, 2013 at 7:08PM   
abbyjean
We were out and about tonight and I have to say...I was thinking about YOU and THIS ROOM! With a long and narrow room like this, things just cannot line up along the wall....hence, your frustration. We have to redirect the eye and I was hoping putting more things ON the FLOOR, floating, would help. Once you think you like where the big pieces are, then the real fun begins with playing with accessories and putting the little things together. Do not let the pics on the wall sway you and maybe take them down until all of that gets figured out, too. Anxious to see pics!
August 2, 2013 at 10:32PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Here are the most recent photos. So appreciate your help!!
August 4, 2013 at 9:12AM     
mcbriec
Have you considered removing the upper shelving and just have lower cabinets? Right now, the built-ins dominate the room and do not go all the way to the ceiling which gives an unfinished look since there's just enough space there to become prime spider habitat.
August 4, 2013 at 9:26AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
papillon2
This looks very nice! You might consider a SMALL table on the cabinet side of the right wing chair so that people in that chair have a place to set drinks, etc. Maybe something like a ceramic garden chair.....search it on this site.
August 4, 2013 at 9:36AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
Abbyjean nailed the sofa position and mcbriec has the right idea on the built-ins. I'd take the shelf part out and leave the two bottom cabinets as credenzas. They may need a new top after the demo. Dry wall, paint and install the TV on the wall of the left one on a swing arm to be more adjustable. Then pull the sofa forward, adding a sofa table and lamp behind it. Move the two wing backs to the wall where the sofa was before, angled as they are with a round table between them. Layer a sisal rug in the center to anchor the seating and try some stationary faux roman shades at the windows, leaving the top of them open - just adding some fabric for softness. In warm weather, slipcovers for the wings in a creamy ivory twill, would be a nice change from the taupey florals for your cool weather decor.
August 4, 2013 at 9:47AM     
abbyjean
How cozy is this!!! Did you find a place for that beautiful demilune table you had between the windows before? I cannot tell what is behind that one chair...maybe that? LOVE the floor lamp by the couch.
August 4, 2013 at 9:50AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
papillon2
Hmmmmm...if you removed the tops of the shelves, you would be left with a whole new dilemma--what to put on that wall area. Sometimes that is harder than just arranging the shelf displays.........
August 4, 2013 at 10:12AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
bronxnurse64
The wood work and cabinets are beautiful.
August 4, 2013 at 10:21AM        Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Yes, the table is behnd the recliner wing back; it is against "the picture wall". Is there a better spot for it? What should I work on next?
August 4, 2013 at 10:44AM   
lindafitzgerald
abbyjean, I was wondering about eventually putting the taller (uncomfortable) wing back in a bedroom, moving the recliner where the tall wing back is and perhaps adding two club (?) chairs.......one where the recliner was and one on the picture wall with some sort of table between. That would allow us to have one seat that is directly across from the TV.
August 4, 2013 at 10:48AM   
bronxnurse64
The wing back chair is beautiful. I am we'll aware how uncomfortable the are. Yes by all means move the chair.
Your room is long and narrow. The sofa is large and takes up a good deal of the space. Consider less bulky pieces. The ottoman? I know the TV controller is part and parcel with the recliner. "The most comfortable spot I bet".
August 4, 2013 at 10:59AM   
bronxnurse64
With the massive and beautiful shelving and fire place and large sofa in a long narrow room consider changing the recliner to a less massive model. I know
August 4, 2013 at 11:14AM   
bronxnurse64
Lazy boy has some very nice recliners
August 4, 2013 at 11:15AM   
4pettis
When we bought our home - I have a solid wall that was a book case floor to ceiling - it was in a natural honey ceder - I chose to paint mine white and added a think crown molding at the top to give it more of a formal look
August 4, 2013 at 11:50AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
abbyjean
I love the idea of adding two club chairs.....maybe even consider having them swivel. They are low and will not cut off that area as much to your dining area. There will be a separation, but not a visual one, which I think is a good thing. I would love to see the dining room chair return to the dining room and that will happen this way, too. Here is the thing......you need a pattern with the chairs you choose for some color in the room. If you go plain, it will not work with the couch. Get a color in the pattern that is in the couch. With a pattern in the two chairs, the other chair may not work in the room. Would you be ok with seating with the couch and two more chairs? And then pull in a dining chair only as needed?
August 4, 2013 at 11:51AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
abbyjean
I would love to see that table brought in to the area more instead of being behind that chair on that wall. It seems forgotten there. Can it go where the dining room chair is now? Will a lamp fit on it? Then the end table could also be eliminated. IF that does not work, how about the end table to the right of the couch with the lamp on it and then move the floor lamp over by the table and then that chair would still have a lamp beside it.
August 4, 2013 at 11:57AM   
abbyjean
I know I said the end table could be eliminated if you move the table and make the lamps work, but there still might be room for it to the right of the couch if you want to keep it in the room.
August 4, 2013 at 12:00PM   
lindafitzgerald
Will have to think about whether or not seating will be enough. What type of pattern do you suggest for the chairs?
August 4, 2013 at 12:00PM   
abbyjean
Next job? Full pics of the shelves so we can play with those. AND do you have any other art in your home that could be moved to the big open part there?
August 4, 2013 at 12:01PM   
abbyjean
NOT floral as I think something else will just be nicer in there year round. The good thing is....you have no other patterns there to compete with the chairs. Go looking around and basically find something to match the couch. I can see a stripe being fun even! Or a plaid of some sort.
August 4, 2013 at 12:02PM   
lindafitzgerald
I am confused about which table/end table? And where?
August 4, 2013 at 12:04PM   
abbyjean
The end table that has the lamp on it now beside the chair..........can you put the TABLE on that wall where the dining room chair is? Then move that end table to the couch area with the lamp on it if it will not fit on the table. I thought the table could replace the end table. I know a lamp is nice by the chair, so if the lamp does not fit on the table, then move the floor lamp between the table and the chair.
August 4, 2013 at 12:06PM   
lindafitzgerald
Here are the new pictures!
August 5, 2013 at 6:15PM   
lindafitzgerald
another photo
August 5, 2013 at 6:16PM   
abbyjean
Thanks for doing all that. Think I like the other way better? With the dining chair there and the smaller table behind? That table just looks small! It might look different if the pictures were gone, too.
August 5, 2013 at 7:48PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
abbyjean
Looking at the pic of the shelves with the vases in the large opening.......will you take a pic off the wall that is there by that small table and prop it up in there with nothing in front of it? Do the same with the other one in the other large opening on the other side....the one with the vase and flowers. THOSE HAVE TO GO! Toooo small for that space.
August 5, 2013 at 7:51PM   
abbyjean
Here is the formula I have read on here for shelves.....one third is books and one third is decoration and one third is blank space. Most of your books are placed like in a library and you do not want that look. You need to have some standing and some laying down.....they can lay down beside the standing ones and sort of help hold them up. Place a pic on top of the books lying down and maybe even in front of the books that are standing. Vary the shelves and do not have all the standing books always on the same end of the shelves. Let a few shelves just have ONE statement piece. I am looking at the beautiful baby pic on the bottom of the one shelf in black and white. THAT needs a spot alone! Things like that.
August 5, 2013 at 7:53PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
abbyjean
The two pics that you have on easels.....I like those like that and on those shelves. Keep them there at those shelves but each on an end, and put books on the shelves, too.
August 5, 2013 at 7:58PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
abbyjean
You have another painted picture in a corner on a bottom shelf. GREAT pic! Find an opening that suits that size and let that pic stand alone or try the colored basket with it. Do not have two pictures angles TOWARD each other.
August 5, 2013 at 8:00PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
I am out of town right now and will not be back until end of week......will work on shelves as soon as I get back....thank you!
August 5, 2013 at 8:47PM   
abbyjean
Enjoy your time away! Hope all is well in your world and have a safe trip home, too.
August 5, 2013 at 8:50PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
OK......back at it. First, please let me know what you think about this: the small table is on the wall behind the sofa with two items on the table. Does it look OK, and should be picture be higher?
August 10, 2013 at 11:29AM   
lindafitzgerald
Regarding the shelves....They are quite DEEP....24 inches. The wider middle sections are 36" wide and the smaller width sections are 24" wide. The height of all the shelves is adjustable, with the total height of each section being 59".

Playing around with artwork in the large space....we may not currently have anything that is just the right shape. I could shop for that. In the other large space, I tried the largest of my three lanterns. The lanterns were a bronze color, but I sprayed them grey for a wedding......... Have not yet worked on the remaining shelves.
August 10, 2013 at 11:38AM   
abbyjean
I LOVE that lantern on the shelf! Something more is needed with it, but this is a great start!
Still trying to think about the grouping behind the couch......I do not think you should raise the picture. It is a good height. Not sure you want to put smaller things around the room when you are going to be having so many of them on the shelves. Maybe save that smaller stuff for the shelves and not on table tops, too.
I think art will make a huge difference in that big shelf, but you are right....the size and shape do not work there.
August 10, 2013 at 9:31PM   
abbyjean
Just looking at the two pics you posted above this and it looks like the pic and the lantern match........can the picture fit with the lantern? I know some would be covered, but I thought it might be worth a try for that shelf opening. Nice that the shelves are so deep for fun things like the lantern.
August 10, 2013 at 9:33PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
The lantern is currently gray (thinking about trying to remove some of the spray paint I used), and the picture frame is golden. I certainly struggle with the metal finishes......do I keep all the silver things together, all the gold things together, etc., or do I mix them all? I do also have a medium and small lantern.

On the other shelf unit, wondering about the two side panels.......weeded out many things (still all out on dining table:). Open to any suggestions. I looked locally today for art to fit the space, but did not find anything. Will continue to search. Also wondered about adding back in another higher or lower shelf in that big space, and then hanging the art pictured in the photo on the back wall. Too many shelves? I think I mentioned all the shelves are adjustable in height; I am open to other configurations. Thank you!
August 11, 2013 at 7:18PM   
abbyjean
I LOVE the pic and the lantern together! PERFECT! I might scootch the lantern over just a titch to the left and you are set. Guess I forgot about being able to adjust shelves or add back in. On the other side for that BIG opening, adding in a shelf would save a ton of headaches with trying to find a BIG piece to put there. I would try to put the shelf so it is half way up.....and then two of them there......does that make sense? Then the middle would have them matching the sides EXCEPT for the larger area at the bottom on this one. Wonder about putting the other two lanterns together in that larger opening? Then you have the lanterns on each side to tie in that look, too. I can totally tell you have taken pieces out and I know how tough that is!!! IF you have more books and smaller pics, I would add in shelves IF you still have some on each side of the big lantern/pic opening. Keep THAT part big, but put smaller things around it.
August 11, 2013 at 7:30PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
I am a little confused about putting "the shelf so it is half way up........and then two of them there. Then the middle would have them matching the sides except for the larger area at the bottom on this one". Thank you!
August 11, 2013 at 8:54PM   
abbyjean
I had a feeling that would be mumbo jumbo! And when I read it over just now......made no sense to me, either! I'll try again.......on the right side of the tv, there is that huge opening. It is going to be tough to find the right art for that. Add a shelf back in so that opening is cut in half. Leave the bottom as the big part here and then the top half, see if you can split in half with another shelf? Then put the other two lanterns together in that larger opening at the bottom.
August 11, 2013 at 8:57PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Now I understand!! I will try that tomorrow!
August 11, 2013 at 9:00PM   
abbyjean
Oh! I love what you have done on the right side on those shelves, too.......very nice! If you add in two lanterns in the middle, that will leave you just two more shelves on that side to play with.
August 11, 2013 at 9:02PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
One more photo prior to adding the middle shelves. This picture was in our bedroom.
August 12, 2013 at 12:40PM   
abbyjean
Seriously? You had this in your home the whole time! Look how the muted colors go so well with the other one. AND it is the right shape even! Any chance you could put a lantern or two with her? I have no idea how big they are.
August 12, 2013 at 12:43PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
I will try that. Should I hang the picture on the back wall in the center or leave it propped?
August 12, 2013 at 12:45PM   
abbyjean
If she stays, she would need to be hung as still just a touch too low to fill the space properly. UNLESS a LOW LOW shelf could be put at the bottom???
August 12, 2013 at 12:47PM   
lindafitzgerald
Got it!
August 12, 2013 at 12:47PM   
lindafitzgerald
Looking so much better. I think we will hang both photos. I am also in the process of removing the gray spray paint from the laterns.......you may be able to tell on the lantern to the left of the fireplace.
August 12, 2013 at 6:08PM   
abbyjean
I love lanterns in a room and you have a perfect place for them!!! IF the taller pic gets too hidden by them, you will be able to still use them on a table or even on the floor by the fireplace.
August 12, 2013 at 7:12PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
This thread abbyjean??
August 12, 2013 at 7:14PM   
lindafitzgerald
I put the large lantern by the larger picture and the medium lantern on the other side. I do have a small one as well. Could put the medium in front of the large picture and the small lantern by the other picture.
August 12, 2013 at 7:19PM   
abbyjean
No.........it is called LAMPS
August 12, 2013 at 7:21PM   
I typed LAMPS in the search discussions and I still can't find it?
August 12, 2013 at 7:22PM   
lindafitzgerald
On to the wall opposite the fireplace wall! Any ideas welcome. should I stack the pictures?
August 15, 2013 at 11:25AM   
abbyjean
Look at you.........moved the wine rack there! And it is still handy right there for everyone to use and FILLS the space nicely.

OK......I KNOW the pics NEED to be stacked as they are too small on the wall to be used side by side. The question is.....where? Will it be too tall over the wine rack??? Little space between them as possible and starting almost at the edge of the rack. I don't know. Do you have another other picture that is rather large and maybe in a dark frame that could go there and trade these? I would also rather see you keep the wine theme going on the whole rack and maybe put some fun wine glasses on the top instead of the pictures there.
August 15, 2013 at 11:45AM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Thank you for the confidence building....really appreciate that!
Had not even thought about the artwork being above the winerack........I was thinking about the wall space behind the chair, adjacent to where the stairs start.
August 15, 2013 at 12:00PM   
abbyjean
In my eye, the lamp is in that area and fills a portion of the wall. IF something were to go there, the lamp would maybe obstruct it?
August 15, 2013 at 12:08PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
I understand! Scouring the house for other pictures......
August 15, 2013 at 1:49PM   
abbyjean
I love it! You create such a visual when you say you are scouring!!!
August 15, 2013 at 1:54PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
:)
August 15, 2013 at 6:54PM   
lindafitzgerald
So here a couple of pictures. That is my husband holding up the top of the two photos that were already on the wall. The other two I took off walls around the house! Not sure any of them are just right. May have to shop. See what you think. Thank you, as always!
August 15, 2013 at 6:58PM   
craljh
I love the transformation !! The coach is gorgeous in front of the windows. Even the windows take on a new majestic look. I am also amazed at the shelves !! So little tweeking and such a big difference !! I know you are having fun.
August 15, 2013 at 9:08PM   
craljh
I think the blue step stool and the blue in the shirt is beautiful together. Did you plan that just for houzz ? lol
August 15, 2013 at 9:10PM   
abbyjean
I am just not feeling it yet. The last pic.....with the darker frame and matting. I like that one IF it could turn directions.
August 15, 2013 at 9:41PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
Another idea before I shop. Also, a question. Can I directly send photos from my iphone to my dicussion thread on Houza, I have been taking the pix with my camera, downloading them to my computer, and then posting on Houzz.
August 16, 2013 at 9:56AM   
I think you need either some metal art over this rack or the top half with metal shelves and then I would stack the 2 leave prints on top of each other to the left of the rack (just above the chair) to form a larger grouping.

August 16, 2013 at 10:08AM   
lindafitzgerald
Not sure what you mean by top shelves.
August 16, 2013 at 10:37AM   
Here is an example of wood and metal, something to tie in with the wine rack

August 16, 2013 at 10:48AM   
Come to think of it, Why is the wine rack in the living room in the first place? Seems to me it would be better suited to the dining room or kitchen.
August 16, 2013 at 10:49AM   
abbyjean
Margo......we need ideas for something on that wall with the chair......this is a good size to fit there and seemed handy to the other rooms. Do you have other ideas to put there? We are grasping here.

Can you help with the phone and pic question as I have no idea!!!
August 16, 2013 at 11:16AM   
What is the phone and pic question?
August 16, 2013 at 11:21AM   
How about putting a simple ladder shelf on that wall with the leave pictures stacked to the left of it? Not white just shown for idea.

August 16, 2013 at 11:28AM   
abbyjean
This is what Linda is wondering.......Another idea before I shop. Also, a question. Can I directly send photos from my iphone to my dicussion thread on Houza, I have been taking the pix with my camera, downloading them to my computer, and then posting on Houzz.
August 16, 2013 at 11:33AM   
abbyjean
Thing is.....there is a WALL of shelves in this room.....do we want to add more??? I love the height it gives, though.
August 16, 2013 at 11:34AM   
I can't answer the phone question. I also appologize, as I honestly did not read the whole thread, so I probably should have not just jumped in.
August 16, 2013 at 11:37AM   
Does there really HAVE to be something on the wall other than art?
August 16, 2013 at 11:39AM   
abbyjean
I am happy you are here, though!!!!!

What about a big plant??????? And the pics stacked by that? You do not think it would be too empty ?
August 16, 2013 at 11:40AM   
abbyjean
IF nothing went there except for art, would the pics be ok stacked behind the chair? How high?

IF you go to the very top of this thread, there is a pic of a plant in the corner by the front window. Would that work here or would a bigger palm type be better?
August 16, 2013 at 11:42AM   
How about a long shallow console table on that wall with the art over it.

Not liking the plant there.
August 16, 2013 at 11:46AM   
abbyjean
Longer than the wine cabinet? Metal? Glass? Wooden? Pics not stacked then, right?
August 16, 2013 at 11:50AM   
Pics not stacked over something like this or stacked with something taller to one side.

August 16, 2013 at 12:15PM   
papillon2
How about a pedestal with a plant on it? They come in various styles and heights.......
August 16, 2013 at 1:07PM   
charliebeth
I "think" you can use the Houzz App for your Iphone and download pictures to Houzz that way. Not positive, but I think? If you don't have the App, maybe try downloading it to see?
August 16, 2013 at 1:18PM   
lindafitzgerald
Hmmmm........the wine rack is right adjacent to the dining area and kitchen......one of two spots we have had it over the years.....it does work very well there; thank you for the ideas though. abbyjean is correct in that we have WAY TOO MANY shelves in this family room already. Also, our style is more traditional than contemporary.
August 16, 2013 at 3:51PM   
Linda Anthony
why hasn't anyone suggested painting JUST the back of the shelves, to match the wall color? It wouldn't look so massive!
August 16, 2013 at 6:42PM      Thanked by lindafitzgerald
lindafitzgerald
An interesting idea!
August 16, 2013 at 6:55PM   
Linda Anthony
that massive look is now outdated and it would be the easiest way to update w/o tearing it out – You got and took good advice about layout of furniture. I could visualize a nice, colorful pic above the wine rack – a picture of wine country perhaps. A decent size pic but not so big as to overwhelm the wine rack. I see it taller than wide so you add some height to that wall to counter-balance the wood wall unit. Even an artsy type colored metal cut out – wine or grape/grape leaf related. I also think you need a different lamp on that table – the wood one (and lampshade) is boring – has no style. How about one of those cool metal – floor lamps that go high and hang out over the table. That would add height too!
August 16, 2013 at 7:11PM     
Linda Anthony
Modern Living Room by Austin Architects & Designers Furman + Keil Architects
August 16, 2013 at 7:30PM   
Linda Anthony
August 16, 2013 at 7:31PM   
August 16, 2013 at 7:35PM   
Linda Anthony
]
August 16, 2013 at 7:37PM   
Linda Anthony
whew! don't do this often enough but third time was a charm. Notice painted shelving - notice the 'Arco Floor Lamp'. Put yours on wall with sine rack to replace the lamp on the table. It will add 'height".. Please go to the attached link to iew other alternative floor lamp choices.
August 16, 2013 at 7:39PM   
Linda Anthony
when you go to the Houzz site, and page down, you'll notice a simple wall hung wine rack, with a complimenting wall decor just opposite the dor.
August 16, 2013 at 7:41PM   
Linda Anthony
ok, one more comment, when you see the pic of the wall unit completely painted, I would suggest you JUST start with the back 'wall' areas to see how you like it. Standard book shelves, w/o attached back, would be painted the same color as the rest of the walls in the room.
August 16, 2013 at 7:45PM   
Linda Anthony
You could also enhance or 'pop' the BP & TV like this... http://www.houzz.com/media-center-over-fireplace
August 16, 2013 at 8:00PM   
August 16, 2013 at 8:01PM   
Linda Anthony
ok, couldn't get the pic again - please look at the second pic down on the link - Paint color on fireplace mantel is Benjamin Moore #1568 Quarry Rock. The trim is Benjamin Moore OC-21.
August 16, 2013 at 8:06PM   
Linda Anthony
WOW! After looking at your first pics posted, I could ABSOLUTELY see the FP/TV area painted a different color to stand out, and then the rest would look like separate bookcases! It would pop and the shelving units 'compliment'!!!!
August 16, 2013 at 8:13PM     
lindafitzgerald
What color would you paint it? Foyer woodwork color.....cream. Wall color.....warm grey?
August 17, 2013 at 8:06AM   
Linda Anthony
For the backs of the shelving units, I would paint the same color as your walls in that room. Don't paint shelves, aThe color on your walls is what? It appears on the ‘green’ side, however, pics are deceiving. My LR looks tan some days and ‘greenish’ other days – depends on outside weather/lighting. If you are happy with how that paint coordinates with current furniture, and from the pic it looks nice, then use OR repaint the entire room LOL! Remember, before painting, to wash off dirt etc., rough up the wood (sand paper or I like the sanding blocks), tape off shelves to protect - primer the wood before painting so it won’t bleed through. Wood is on the dark side, and I’m a little OCD, so I would primer twice and paint your color twice. You can have the primer tinted to match your paint color and that makes coverage even easier! Remember, you can always change the color of paint but you can’t UNPAINT this wood! So, start with painting the backs of the shelving units first and then live with it a week or two, then decide if you want to continue with FP itself. That alone may ‘pop’ your FP AND it does match the lower cupboards… You’ll have the ‘wood’ color, and the wall color in that unit – you have a colorful couch – so be careful about FP color, IF you choose to do it.

IF you decide to do FP too, then I would take name and # of that room paint, go to the paint store and get the paint ‘strip/samples’ with that color on it – the strip below that color and the strip above that color – and choose one of those darker (about two up/darker from current wall color). Check at paint store – or a decorator – or a friend… Then it would coordinate nicely with bookshelves & walls but yet have a ‘life’ of it’s own. Remember, these are all PERSONAL decisions; I’m only offering suggestions. I have one wall with two large shelving units which have no backs – are directly against the wall (not on same wall as FP), and I painted the shelving units (the wood) the same color as the trim in that room, and painted the ‘backs/walls behind them) the same color as the room, and love it! They now have ‘samples’, some the size of a quart, you can try first too, and see what it looks like during the day and the evening. Lighting makes ALL the difference in how the paint ‘appears’.
t this time - wait and see how you like it.
August 17, 2013 at 10:25AM   
Great great room needs updating
I just bought a new house and need some help updating...
Need help updating my Great Room
Need help updating my Great Room. Room size 18x25 with...
NEED HELP FOR COOL ELEVATOR UPDATE IDEAS IN BEDROOM & GREAT ROOM!
We are remodeling our house and have an elevator that...
Update needed to love oak "great room"
My kitchen is open to the living room. My 11 year...
How to lighten up this kitchen?
We are looking to lighten up this kitchen by painting...
Hardware suggestions
Having trouble picking hardware. Planning on dark bronze...
Bedroom furniture suggestions?
Hi, I will be custom making this bed and would like...
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...
need help on my basement
I do not like the long hal which waste the space. I...