Kitchen Cabinets
mckinney2dallas
Oak or Knotty Alder? Which one would you choose and why? Our builder is offering Oak as standard and $1K to upgrade to Knotty Alder.
Jenny Youngblood
100% Knotty Alder. Oak is very heavily grained and therefore, is a very dated look, and b) makes it hard to even stain or paint because you can still see the grain underneath. Most cabinets now are either Maple, Alder or Walnut with some more traditional people still opting for Cherry. Oak is very rarely used any more, and for a new home, I would definitely choose the more current wood.
August 2, 2013 at 3:32PM        Thanked by mckinney2dallas
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I agree with Jenny. Definitely go with the Knotty Alder. Well worth the $1K price tag.
August 2, 2013 at 3:37PM        Thanked by mckinney2dallas
Wooden Concepts
Knotty Alder is definitely the current trend, although other wood species are definitely more desirable. Alder is becoming the wood of choice for builder grade cabinets, because it is one of the least expensive solid woods available. I would caution you to ask some specific questions about the quality of the cabinets being used in the home - or visit an existing home and look closely at the cabinets, doors, door hinges, drawers, drawer glides, etc. Builder grade custom cabinets are typically very low-end cabinets, even if they are "custom". Most builders are using cabinets with solid wood frames and doors (good) but the boxes are particle board, drawers are plywood and drawer glides are nylon ball bearing style (not good). It is frustrating for talented craftsmen to see folks buying brand new homes that look nice on the surface but are such poor quality that the cabinets will certainly need to be replaced within five years. Most builders only offer the state (Texas) required warranty of one year. I encourage you (and anyone anticipating a new kitchen!) to read this: http://www.woodenconcepts.net/Professional_Cabinet_Installers.html
August 2, 2013 at 4:03PM        Thanked by mckinney2dallas
mckinney2dallas
Thank you all! Alder it is!
August 2, 2013 at 6:01PM   
stained kitchen cabinets verses painted kitchen cabinets
which is better stained kitchen cabinets or painted...
Moving toilet in second floor bathroom
I would like to move our toilet closer to the bathtub...
my design dilemma is that my kitchen is 10' by 20'. ideas, please!
long, narrow, no place for an island. We would love...
Exterior Paint, Suggested changes
Just purchased this small home, a fixer upper and looking...